Take ownership

John Reid

Take ownership
Running Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit, on an Acer Laptop with 2 mg memory.

I went to the Petri web site
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

and copied the programme into Notepad as directed. I did make one change;
where the first line says :Windows Registry Editor Version 5" I changed it
to Version 6" because the error message on the second screen said that
"there is an error accessing the registry." I ran "reg edit" and got the
opening screen giving me access to the registry; it is version 6.00

Using "Version 6", however, when I tried to run it (double click on the file
name), up came the first screen to warn me of the consequences. Another
click brings up a screen that says "Cannot Import ownership.reg ... The
specified file is not meant to be used with this version of Windows."

I can probably input the changes into the registry by hand, but I am curious
as to why the programme will not run on my plane vanilla laptop?

Brink

Re: Take ownership

John Reid;643279 Wrote:
> Running Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit, on an Acer Laptop with 2 mg memory.
>
> I went to the Petri web site
> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm)
>
> and copied the programme into Notepad as directed. I did make one
> change;
> where the first line says :Windows Registry Editor Version 5" I changed
> it
> to Version 6" because the error message on the second screen said that
> "there is an error accessing the registry." I ran "reg edit" and got
> the
> opening screen giving me access to the registry; it is version 6.00
>
> Using "Version 6", however, when I tried to run it (double click on the
> file
> name), up came the first screen to warn me of the consequences. Another
> click brings up a screen that says "Cannot Import ownership.reg ... The
> specified file is not meant to be used with this version of Windows."
>
> I can probably input the changes into the registry by hand, but I am
> curious
> as to why the programme will not run on my plane vanilla laptop?

Hi John,

See if the download from here will work better for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...ownership.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Bob

Re: Take ownership
I'm running Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit as well. My reg is version 6. I did
not make any changes when I copied the program into Notepad. No problem when
I merged the file with my reg by clicking on it.

Possibly there is a conflict with your AV program. Norton and McAfee are
known to cause issues with Vista.

Did you try to import the file by clicking File>Import from the reg window?
--
*Report back, please*