Windows Explorer: Set Initial Focus to TreeView - how?

Axel Dahmen

Windows Explorer: Set Initial Focus to TreeView - how?
Hi,

is it possible to configure Windows Explorer to start up having the focus
set to the TreeView control on the left?

And is it further possible to be able to navigate through this TreeView like
with the other Windows versions, i.e. the list view tracks the currently
selected TreeView node?

Is it alternatively possible to have Windows Explorer give focus to the
ListView control immediately after <ENTER> is hit on a node in the TreeView
control? Currently I need to hit <TAB> about five times to get there.

I find it very hard to use Vista just using the keyboard. This whole mouse
ado is permanently distracting from what one's currently focussing on. MS, if
you read this: Take more care on using Windows "blindly" and - thereby -
efficiently.
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Windows Explorer: Set Initial Focus to TreeView - how?
I don't know of any way to configure Explorer to open with the focus in the
Folder pane.

So when you open Explorer, <shift>+<tab> moves the focus to the Folder pane.

That is some odd behavior with the <Enter> key. This appears to be the tab
order normally:

ListViewItem
Column Header
Preview Pane
Preview Pane (again?)
Address Bar
Search Box
Toolbar
FolderPane Header
TreeView Item
[back to ListViewItem]

However, if you navigate with the arrow keys in the treeview & use <enter>
to select a folder, the tab order is reversed for a single iteration, then
back to normal. So it becomes:

TreeView Item
FolderPane Header
TreeView Item
ListViewItem

If you use <shift>+<tab>, that skips the FolderPane Header and goes back to
the Toolbar & on back from there.

You're right, it's weird. I don't know any way around it, Sorry.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]