Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?

Axel Dahmen

Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
Hi,

as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the
keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new folders
from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files. Usually on
Windows this is "<ALT>+<F>, <W>, <F>".

Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or are
they missing indeed?

TIA,
Axel Dahmen
Dave

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
It still works....... except sometimes the "Folder" option disappears from
the "New" context menu. It just did for me...again.

There's a reg fix to add it back.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69837-new-folder.html

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Axel Dahmen" <keentoknow@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the
> keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new
> folders
> from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files. Usually
> on
> Windows this is "<ALT>+<F>, <W>, <F>".
>
> Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or are
> they missing indeed?
>
> TIA,
> Axel Dahmen

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
<ALT>+<F> doesn't call up a file menu for the common dialogs. Best keyboard
option I see is:

<Shift>+(<tab>,<tab>), ContextMenu Key, <W>,<F>

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Axel Dahmen" <keentoknow@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the
> keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new
> folders
> from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files. Usually
> on
> Windows this is "<ALT>+<F>, <W>, <F>".
>
> Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or are
> they missing indeed?
>
> TIA,
> Axel Dahmen

Axel Dahmen

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
Thanks Keith and Dave, for replying and trying to help.

Keith: Very sad... To much thinking for a common job. Is there somewhere to
put a finger on this missing functionality so it could be added with some
upcoming Service Pack?

TIA,
Axel Dahmen

-------------------
"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> <ALT>+<F> doesn't call up a file menu for the common dialogs. Best keyboard
> option I see is:
>
> <Shift>+(<tab>,<tab>), ContextMenu Key, <W>,<F>
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Axel Dahmen" <keentoknow@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the
> > keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new
> > folders
> > from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files. Usually
> > on
> > Windows this is "<ALT>+<F>, <W>, <F>".
> >
> > Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or are
> > they missing indeed?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Axel Dahmen

Bob

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
WinKey+r>Type cmd>Press Enter>Type md [drive:] [path] [foldername]>Press
Enter.
--
*Report back, please*

>> "Axel Dahmen" <keentoknow@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the
>> > keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new
>> > folders
>> > from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files.
>> > Usually
>> > on
>> > Windows this is "<ALT>+<F>, <W>, <F>".
>> >
>> > Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or
>> > are
>> > they missing indeed?
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Axel Dahmen

Axel Dahmen

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
Hi Bob,

thanks for replying.

Basically this is a good idea, but, you see, the problem in your suggestion
is hidden in two short words: "[path]" and "[foldername]"

Even these two words contain 15 more characters than "FWF". And it's not
even a valid path.

Absolutely no workaround for the missing key combination, I'm afraid.
Particularly if you're within an application having just hit "Save As..." (=
"FA") ...

Axel Dahmen

-------------
"Bob" wrote:

> WinKey+r>Type cmd>Press Enter>Type md [drive:] [path] [foldername]>Press
> Enter.
> --
> *Report back, please*

Bob

> Hi Bob,
>
> thanks for replying.
>
> Basically this is a good idea, but, you see, the problem in your
> suggestion
> is hidden in two short words: "[path]" and "[foldername]"
>
> Even these two words contain 15 more characters than "FWF". And it's not
> even a valid path.

***Huh? It's up to you to specify the path and foldername. As a software
developer I would think you would know that.

In any event, Alt+F+W+F works just fine for me. You are correct that this
could not be done from within an application, but I don't think that was
ever available. If it was, it would be a function of the application, not
the OS. As a software developer perhaps you can include it in the software
you develop.

> Absolutely no workaround for the missing key combination, I'm afraid.
> Particularly if you're within an application having just hit "Save As..."
> (=
> "FA") ...
>
> Axel Dahmen
>

> -------------
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> WinKey+r>Type cmd>Press Enter>Type md [drive:] [path] [foldername]>Press
>> Enter.
>> --
>> *Report back, please*

Axel Dahmen

Re: Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts?
> ***Huh? It's up to you to specify the path and foldername.

Exactly, which you don't have to if you're already in the correct folder
from an Open/Save Common Dialog box (which you commonly are).

> As a software developer I would think you would know that.

See, I do...

> In any event, Alt+F+W+F works just fine for me. You are correct that this
> could not be done from within an application, but I don't think that was
> ever available. If it was, it would be a function of the application, not
> the OS.

Wrong. Windows provides so called "Common Dialogs", two of which are Save
File and Open File dialogs. So they come with Windows. Any programmer just
uses or amends them. As a non-developer you can't know this, of course...

> As a software developer perhaps you can include it in the software
> you develop.

Nope, don't have to usually... And I can't, on the other hand. How should I
possibly amend MS Vista without getting to its sources?