Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Help copying files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Nicholas Hall
 

Posts: n/a
Help copying files
I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external
drive Z:
I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
files that are not in folders)

I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)

I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb drive
K: to the network drive Z:

Many thanks in advance.

NIK

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
jamesvdm
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Help copying files
Hey

Total Copy is also a great program and it's very easy to use. Try it out if
you don't have the time to spend learning robocopy.

If you have access to Vista SP1 then install it as it will also speed up
copy times.

James

"Nicholas Hall" wrote:

> I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external
> drive Z:
> I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
> files that are not in folders)
>
> I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
> copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)
>
> I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
> The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
> could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb drive
> K: to the network drive Z:
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> NIK
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
niks
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Help copying files
I went to command prompt and typed in robocopy/? and looked at all the
syntax and to tell you the truth I was well confused.
I checked out Total Copy, unfortunatly on the web site it says it says it
copys a little quicker. I think i will have to wait till SP1 to come out to
sort out my copying problem out.
At the moment I am copy a gig or two and rebooting the computer and then
copying some more.

Can anyone tell me is robocopy good at copying large ammounts of files from
a usb drive to a network drive?

NIK

"jamesvdm" <jamesvdm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:65292FAA-2052-4473-B26D-D1A3356DE481@microsoft.com...
> Hey
>
> Total Copy is also a great program and it's very easy to use. Try it out
> if
> you don't have the time to spend learning robocopy.
>
> If you have access to Vista SP1 then install it as it will also speed up
> copy times.
>
> James
>
> "Nicholas Hall" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network
>> external
>> drive Z:
>> I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
>> files that are not in folders)
>>
>> I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
>> copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)
>>
>> I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
>> The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
>> could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb
>> drive
>> K: to the network drive Z:
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> NIK
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Synapse Syndrome
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Help copying files
"niks" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:F317B8D3-8C9F-4BDC-A852-6363977BE333@microsoft.com...
>I went to command prompt and typed in robocopy/? and looked at all the
>syntax and to tell you the truth I was well confused.
> I checked out Total Copy, unfortunatly on the web site it says it says it
> copys a little quicker. I think i will have to wait till SP1 to come out
> to sort out my copying problem out.
> At the moment I am copy a gig or two and rebooting the computer and then
> copying some more.
>
> Can anyone tell me is robocopy good at copying large ammounts of files
> from a usb drive to a network drive?



I prefer to use Robocopy to anything else, as it can do just about anything,
including keep the original file creation dates.

You might want to check this GUI for it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/m.../cc160891.aspx

ss.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Help copying files
Try this:

robocopy /s k:\ z:\

*Report back, please*

"niks" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:F317B8D3-8C9F-4BDC-A852-6363977BE333@microsoft.com...
>I went to command prompt and typed in robocopy/? and looked at all the
>syntax and to tell you the truth I was well confused.
> I checked out Total Copy, unfortunatly on the web site it says it says it
> copys a little quicker. I think i will have to wait till SP1 to come out
> to sort out my copying problem out.
> At the moment I am copy a gig or two and rebooting the computer and then
> copying some more.
>
> Can anyone tell me is robocopy good at copying large ammounts of files
> from a usb drive to a network drive?
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
Nicholas Hall
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Help copying files
After reading posts from this group and having another look at the Robohelp
help files I used this:

robocopy /mir k:\ \\Mybookworld\public\ /XD dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /XN /XO

At the moment it is copying the files and all seems well.

Thank you all for your help and advice

NIK

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:6PadncNEiLY9oUranZ2dnUVZ_ramnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Try this:
>
> robocopy /s k:\ z:\
>
> *Report back, please*
>
> "niks" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:F317B8D3-8C9F-4BDC-A852-6363977BE333@microsoft.com...
>>I went to command prompt and typed in robocopy/? and looked at all the
>>syntax and to tell you the truth I was well confused.
>> I checked out Total Copy, unfortunatly on the web site it says it says it
>> copys a little quicker. I think i will have to wait till SP1 to come out
>> to sort out my copying problem out.
>> At the moment I am copy a gig or two and rebooting the computer and then
>> copying some more.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me is robocopy good at copying large ammounts of files
>> from a usb drive to a network drive?
>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
John Hanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Help copying files
In case you might want to stick with Vista's copy and move: I experienced
a big improvement in file transfer times after I disabled Remote
Differential Compression. Control Panel|Programs and Features|Turn Windows
features on or off|Uncheck Remote Differential Compression. I have seen no
adverse consequences to turning off RDC. Write back if this worked for you.

"Nicholas Hall" <niknikNOSPAM1971@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:uvl4DspgIHA.4164@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external
> drive Z:
> I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
> files that are not in folders)
>
> I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
> copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)
>
> I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
> The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
> could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb
> drive
> K: to the network drive Z:
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> NIK
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: copying files David Morgan \(MAMS\) microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 02-08-2008 21:03
Problem copying files TonyR microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 11-04-2007 19:30
Copying files to Program Files directory Parrot microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 13 08-23-2007 07:14
Copying files to CD species8350 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 07-11-2007 01:42
copying files NancyC microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 02-28-2007 14:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120