Cannot Delete file in Vista

Rana P

Cannot Delete file in Vista
Hi

As suggested here is a new post from the original post at:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...folders-3.html

OK didn't know it was such a big hassle to delete a file in Vista. I am
using Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Dell inspiron - 32 bit - Intel Core2
duo CPU - Memory Ram 2046 MB

I had downloaded a video file on my desktop, but cancelled it before the
dowload was completed and the file remained on the desktop. When I tried to
right click and click delete or move it a window pops up "Calculating time
remaining" and keeps on calculating don't know what!

I have tried to "Take Ownership" using the instructions at
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm - can go to
the file click on take ownership - a window pops up
"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" with the command prompt flashing.

I tried : Control Panel > Administrative Tools -> System Config > Continue
through User Account Controls prompt > Select Tools -> Scroll down and
select Disable UAC > Click Launch -> Reboot machine - tried to delete
"Calculating time remaining"

After UAC I tried to change permissions takeown icacls - but was unsucessful

On one of the forums someone suggested I try Total Commander so downloaded
and tried that but NO GO

On one of the MS site I submitted my query and they sent a hotfix file >
which I had to zip and install but........... that also did not fix the
problem!

Just want to delete a video file, please help.

Malke

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista
Rana P wrote:

> Hi
>
> As suggested here is a new post from the original post at:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...folders-3.html

> OK didn't know it was such a big hassle to delete a file in Vista. I am
> using Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Dell inspiron - 32 bit - Intel
> Core2 duo CPU - Memory Ram 2046 MB
>
> I had downloaded a video file on my desktop, but cancelled it before the
> dowload was completed and the file remained on the desktop. When I tried
> to right click and click delete or move it a window pops up "Calculating
> time remaining" and keeps on calculating don't know what!
>
> I have tried to "Take Ownership" using the instructions at
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm - can go
> to the file click on take ownership - a window pops up
> "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" with the command prompt flashing.
>
> I tried : Control Panel > Administrative Tools -> System Config > Continue
> through User Account Controls prompt > Select Tools -> Scroll down and
> select Disable UAC > Click Launch -> Reboot machine - tried to delete
> "Calculating time remaining"
>
> After UAC I tried to change permissions takeown icacls - but was
> unsucessful
>
> On one of the forums someone suggested I try Total Commander so downloaded
> and tried that but NO GO
>
> On one of the MS site I submitted my query and they sent a hotfix file >
> which I had to zip and install but........... that also did not fix the
> problem!
>
> Just want to delete a video file, please help.

I see where it was suggested that you boot into Safe Mode and delete from
there but i don't see above where you tried that. That's your next step.

Also, it is useless for people who are trying to help you when you just
write "NO GO" about something you tried. Remember that we cannot see your
computer so you need to give the exact results, including the text of any
error messages.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
rana

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista

Thanks for your reply Malke:

No Go = window pops up "Calculating time
remaining" and keeps on calculating

Yes I did try safe mode but the same message in safe mode as well
(window pops up "Calculating time remaining" and keeps on calculating)

Hope you can help! Thank you.

--
rana
jihchiang

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista
Rana, I have exactly the same OS except mine is dual core. I'm offering you
a more simpler way to take " ownership "without the drastic measure of
changing the registry which can be a time bomb. Here is the step by step
: --
1.bring up that file, right click > choose Properties
2. click Security > click Advance
3. click Effective Permission > click Select
4. enter your user account name in the box , when done click OK
5. you should see a list of permissions, all checkmarked. Scroll down to the
last one, it should say Take Ownership
click OK
6. close all those windows. You are now the sole owner of that file. Delete
it as you wish.
Please reply whether you are successful or not.Good luck.

rana wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Malke:
>
> No Go = window pops up "Calculating time
> remaining" and keeps on calculating
>
> Yes I did try safe mode but the same message in safe mode as well
> (window pops up "Calculating time remaining" and keeps on calculating)
>
> Hope you can help! Thank you.

Try from Safe Mode Command Prompt. Navigate to your Desktop (Probably C
\Users\your-user-account\Desktop) and del the file.

If Safe Mode Command Prompt doesn't work, try a Chkdsk /f while you're in
the Safe Mode Command Prompt or, for the graphical way in Regular Mode:

Click to open Computer. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to
check, and then click Properties. Click the Tools tab, and then, under
Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator
password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan
detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk
check will simply report problems but not fix them.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
sam

RE: Cannot Delete file in Vista
Hi Rana,

Did you manage to solve the problem? I have the same problem with a movie
file, and i've tried all the recommended steps.

"Rana P" wrote:

> Hi
>
> As suggested here is a new post from the original post at:
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...folders-3.html
>
> OK didn't know it was such a big hassle to delete a file in Vista. I am
> using Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Dell inspiron - 32 bit - Intel Core2
> duo CPU - Memory Ram 2046 MB
>
> I had downloaded a video file on my desktop, but cancelled it before the
> dowload was completed and the file remained on the desktop. When I tried to
> right click and click delete or move it a window pops up "Calculating time
> remaining" and keeps on calculating don't know what!
>
> I have tried to "Take Ownership" using the instructions at
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm - can go to
> the file click on take ownership - a window pops up
> "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" with the command prompt flashing.
>
> I tried : Control Panel > Administrative Tools -> System Config > Continue
> through User Account Controls prompt > Select Tools -> Scroll down and
> select Disable UAC > Click Launch -> Reboot machine - tried to delete
> "Calculating time remaining"
>
> After UAC I tried to change permissions takeown icacls - but was unsucessful
>
> On one of the forums someone suggested I try Total Commander so downloaded
> and tried that but NO GO
>
> On one of the MS site I submitted my query and they sent a hotfix file >
> which I had to zip and install but........... that also did not fix the
> problem!
>
> Just want to delete a video file, please help.

t-4-2

Rana P;640965 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> As suggested here is a new post from the original post at:
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-m...folders-3.html
>
> OK didn't know it was such a big hassle to delete a file in Vista. I am
> using Windows Vista Home Premium, on a Dell inspiron - 32 bit - Intel
> Core2
> duo CPU - Memory Ram 2046 MB
>
> I had downloaded a video file on my desktop, but cancelled it before
> the
> dowload was completed and the file remained on the desktop. When I
> tried to
> right click and click delete or move it a window pops up "Calculating
> time
> remaining" and keeps on calculating don't know what!
>
> I have tried to "Take Ownership" using the instructions at
> 'Add \"Take Ownership\" to right-click menu in Vista'
> (http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm) - can
> go to
> the file click on take ownership - a window pops up
> "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" with the command prompt flashing.
>
> I tried : Control Panel > Administrative Tools -> System Config >
> Continue
> through User Account Controls prompt > Select Tools -> Scroll down and
> select Disable UAC > Click Launch -> Reboot machine - tried to delete
> "Calculating time remaining"
>
> After UAC I tried to change permissions takeown icacls - but was
> unsucessful
>
> On one of the forums someone suggested I try Total Commander so
> downloaded
> and tried that but NO GO
>
> On one of the MS site I submitted my query and they sent a hotfix file
> >

> which I had to zip and install but........... that also did not fix the
> problem!
>
> Just want to delete a video file, please help.

Hello Rana,
Here is a different version of Take Ownership. Pick ** method one ** to
install.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

--
t-4-2
mohauk

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista

I have very similar problem.

.avi file on an external HD. When I try to delete it - I'm getting
message "recycling one item (187 MB). Calculating time...Speed 0
bytes/sec". When I use right click - nothing is happening.

The file itself is playable only with sound. I managed to open it in
video editing software - and it was re-coded and saved as a new copy in
a way that now it is playable.

But nevetheless I cannot delete the "original" file. Takeover command
did not work. I check my registries ("automatically") - it seems to be
OK.

But how to delete that bloody file? ....no clue...

--
mohauk
Bob

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista
Use the Shred Files option of FileMenu Tools.
http://www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html

"mohauk" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have very similar problem.
>
> avi file on an external HD. When I try to delete it - I'm getting
> message "recycling one item (187 MB). Calculating time...Speed 0
> bytes/sec". When I use right click - nothing is happening.
>
> The file itself is playable only with sound. I managed to open it in
> video editing software - and it was re-coded and saved as a new copy in
> a way that now it is playable.
>
> But nevetheless I cannot delete the "original" file. Takeover command
> did not work. I check my registries ("automatically") - it seems to be
> OK.
>
> But how to delete that bloody file? ....no clue...
>

> --
> mohauk

Niffen

Re: Cannot Delete file in Vista

I may have found 1 solution for this.

It turns out since i formatted my computer the other night, that
Windows Media player keeps anything that i've opened in it. So when i
open a video file it stays open even after closing Windows media player.
I have to actually go into it, go to play list and remove it in play
list.

Once i've done that, The files will move, delete fine.

Please check Windows Media player first and then see if that resolves
the problem.

(signed up just so people don't go through the same hell i went
through)

--
Niffen