how to use robocopy

niks

how to use robocopy
I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external
drive Z:
I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
files that are not in folders)

I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)

I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb drive
K: to the network drive Z:

Many thanks in advance.

NIK

Dwarf

RE: how to use robocopy
Hi niks,

Robocopy is a powerful file copying utility that is built-in to Vista. To
access it, open an administrative command prompt. To do this, click the start
orb and type 'cmd' into the search box. The program will appear in the
'Programs' section of the results panel. Right click on it and select 'Run as
administrator' and, after providing administrative credentials, the command
prompt will open. For all the syntax details of the command, type 'robocopy
/?' at the prompt. In your case, the syntax required is as follows: 'robocopy
k:\ z:\ /mir'. Note the spaces in the syntax.
Dwarf

"niks" wrote:

> I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external
> drive Z:
> I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and
> files that are not in folders)
>
> I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to
> copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy)
>
> I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files.
> The thing is I do not know what syntax to use. I was wondering if someone
> could tell me the syntax I should use to copy EVERYTHING from the usb drive
> K: to the network drive Z:
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> NIK

Nicholas Hall

Re: how to use robocopy
After reading posts from this group and having another look at the Robohelp
help files I used this:

robocopy /mir k:\ \\Mybookworld\public\ /XD dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /XN /XO

At the moment it is copying the files and all seems well.

Thank you for your help and advice

NIK