Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
mainframeguy
 

Posts: n/a
HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?
I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but could
not see it's way to include a System Backup.
Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations for a
Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the laptop
that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
.Joe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?

mainframeguy;640375 Wrote:
> I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
> I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
> I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but
> could
> not see it's way to include a System Backup.
> Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations
> for a
> Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the
> laptop
> that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.


I've read good things about a commercial backup utility. I believe you
can download an evaluation version to make sure it fits your needs.

You can download it here: 'Backup software for data backup and disaster
recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis' (http://www.acronis.com)

It does a complete image of your C drive, so in the event of a major
failure, you can restore everything the way it was when you did the
backup/image.

Let us know if that works for you.


--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
mainframeguy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?
I see they have a new release v11. , do you know which of the releases is
regarded as the most stable?
I think that i will purchase but first i need to check who their parent
company is.
thanks..mainframeguy...

".Joe" wrote:

>
> mainframeguy;640375 Wrote:
> > I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
> > I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
> > I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but
> > could
> > not see it's way to include a System Backup.
> > Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations
> > for a
> > Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the
> > laptop
> > that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.

>
> I've read good things about a commercial backup utility. I believe you
> can download an evaluation version to make sure it fits your needs.
>
> You can download it here: 'Backup software for data backup and disaster
> recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis' (http://www.acronis.com)
>
> It does a complete image of your C drive, so in the event of a major
> failure, you can restore everything the way it was when you did the
> backup/image.
>
> Let us know if that works for you.
>
>
> --
> .Joe
>
> _[image:
> http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
> _CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?
I have used v9 through v11 without problems.
Its an established company

"mainframeguy" <mainframeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:72F66DF0-D8F9-4BF8-A03E-717A73964144@microsoft.com...
>I see they have a new release v11. , do you know which of the releases is
> regarded as the most stable?
> I think that i will purchase but first i need to check who their parent
> company is.
> thanks..mainframeguy...
>
> ".Joe" wrote:
>
>>
>> mainframeguy;640375 Wrote:
>> > I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
>> > I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
>> > I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but
>> > could
>> > not see it's way to include a System Backup.
>> > Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations
>> > for a
>> > Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the
>> > laptop
>> > that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.

>>
>> I've read good things about a commercial backup utility. I believe you
>> can download an evaluation version to make sure it fits your needs.
>>
>> You can download it here: 'Backup software for data backup and disaster
>> recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis' (http://www.acronis.com)
>>
>> It does a complete image of your C drive, so in the event of a major
>> failure, you can restore everything the way it was when you did the
>> backup/image.
>>
>> Let us know if that works for you.
>>
>>
>> --
>> .Joe
>>
>> _[image:
>> http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png]
>> (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
>> _CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
>>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?
1.Make sure System Restore is enabled (it usually is by default).

2.Follow the documentation that came with your laptop for creating System
Recovery disks.
--
*Report back, please*

"mainframeguy" <mainframeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CD584EE-B388-4B73-9B8A-5B55C248AE4E@microsoft.com...
>I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
> I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
> I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but
> could
> not see it's way to include a System Backup.
> Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations for
> a
> Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the
> laptop
> that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2008
mainframeguy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive?
Everything that i read states that my Vista Version does not have the
software program to backup/restore my complete C: drive. The Vista only
backs up files, etc.
I have ordered the Acronis Backup/Restore program and it is on the UPS truck
as I type.
Thanks
Mainframeguy

"Bob" wrote:

> 1.Make sure System Restore is enabled (it usually is by default).
>
> 2.Follow the documentation that came with your laptop for creating System
> Recovery disks.
> --
> *Report back, please*
>
> "mainframeguy" <mainframeguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CD584EE-B388-4B73-9B8A-5B55C248AE4E@microsoft.com...
> >I have vista home premium and a new Laptop.
> > I need to make System Backups (complete drive c
> > I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but
> > could
> > not see it's way to include a System Backup.
> > Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations for
> > a
> > Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the
> > laptop
> > that i would not like to have to start at the beginning. Thanks.

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't backup to external drive Roof Fiddler microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 01-22-2010 20:22
Vista Backup won't recognize external WD hard drive Nevet microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 13 11-25-2009 08:02
Backup does not show external drive on restore andrew not bery bright microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 11-28-2007 18:18
Restoring a backup from a external drive GlenH microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 10-10-2007 15:28
Backup to external drive Adrian microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 09-26-2007 17:23




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120