Favorites Folder in Windows Explorer

ryan

Favorites Folder in Windows Explorer
Hello I'm using Windows Vista. I use Firefox to browse the web instead of
IE, so I don't need to see the Favorites folder displayed in my user folder
in Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called in Vista - i'm talking about
explorer.exe), the one whose icon is a yellow star popping out of a green
folder.

I've tried deleting it but Vista just regenerates it each time I restart.
I've tried hiding it but that doesn't do anything. It's completely empty and
I'm never going to fill it with links. Any way to make it not show up? It's
like Vista has made it a system folder, and it's a little annoying.

Thank you
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Favorites Folder in Windows Explorer
It is considered one of the user shell folders.

You can of, course, rename it, change the icon, redirect it, and use it for
anything you like. Then you even have an extra folder to cascade off the
Start Menu.

That being said, it's constantly recreated because of the 'Favorites' entry
in the registry under the key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]

Deleting 'Favorites' from there, and, for good measure, from here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders]

combined with logging off & back on should allow you to delete Favorites
without it being recreated.

--
Good Luck,

Keith