Can anyone make it all stop?

Again ... simplicity?

Can anyone make it all stop?
I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.

I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly use -
rearrange - organize - categorize...

If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files
the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit" or
worse, "Szie all columns to fit."

If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into (or
out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move about
when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start of the
list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where I got
the file from ... OMG I want to scream!

If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my files and
can't read their size or dates.

"Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...

Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the windows
with CLASSIC VIEW???

I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that most
people only play video games and not serious work.

Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of the
old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much of my
time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.
DP

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
Not sure if I'm understanding the issue/question. But you know you can tell
windows which column headers to show, right?
Is that the issue? Are there too many column headers?

"Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:00F6BC02-6485-4EFA-AE57-09C7D728E58A@microsoft.com...
>I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.
>
> I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly
> use -
> rearrange - organize - categorize...
>
> If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files
> the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit"
> or
> worse, "Szie all columns to fit."
>
> If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into (or
> out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move about
> when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start of
> the
> list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where I
> got
> the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
>
> If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my files
> and
> can't read their size or dates.
>
> "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
>
> Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the windows
> with CLASSIC VIEW???
>
> I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that most
> people only play video games and not serious work.
>
> Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of the
> old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much of
> my
> time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

Bob

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
Change Windows to Classic view
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fa85b1033.mspx
--
*Report back, please*

"Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:00F6BC02-6485-4EFA-AE57-09C7D728E58A@microsoft.com...
>I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.
>
> I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly
> use -
> rearrange - organize - categorize...
>
> If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files
> the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit"
> or
> worse, "Szie all columns to fit."
>
> If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into (or
> out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move about
> when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start of
> the
> list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where I
> got
> the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
>
> If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my files
> and
> can't read their size or dates.
>
> "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
>
> Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the windows
> with CLASSIC VIEW???
>
> I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that most
> people only play video games and not serious work.
>
> Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of the
> old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much of
> my
> time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

Again ... simplicity?

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
No - and I didn't mention anything about how many headers there are - I
talked about the fact that the entire window automatically moves from one
side to the other while I am trying to rearrange files in one view, cannot
adjust header width to MY specifications in another view, and cannot read
file size or date created in the other somewhat useful view.

I hate it ... I can't have it in "classic view" because Vista doesn't
actually GIVE the classic view ... it only offers the new bells-n-whistles
view that are a HUGE problem for me.

I want XP again ... if I can't set the folder view options to the way I want
them ... I don't want them.

"DP" wrote:

> Not sure if I'm understanding the issue/question. But you know you can tell
> windows which column headers to show, right?
> Is that the issue? Are there too many column headers?
>

> "Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:00F6BC02-6485-4EFA-AE57-09C7D728E58A@microsoft.com...
> >I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.
> >
> > I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly
> > use -
> > rearrange - organize - categorize...
> >
> > If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files
> > the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit"
> > or
> > worse, "Szie all columns to fit."
> >
> > If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into (or
> > out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move about
> > when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start of
> > the
> > list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where I
> > got
> > the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
> >
> > If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my files
> > and
> > can't read their size or dates.
> >
> > "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
> >
> > Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the windows
> > with CLASSIC VIEW???
> >
> > I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that most
> > people only play video games and not serious work.
> >
> > Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of the
> > old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much of
> > my
> > time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

Again ... simplicity?

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
Now, why would you reply with something like;

"Change Windows to Classic view
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/13d46a66-24a5-47d0-be06-47649ccfa85b1033.mspx"

.... after I wrote that I tried to use "classic view"? I went into rather
deep descriptions of what "views" Vista seems to have preset as "classic" ...
none of which ARE classic view.

"Bob" wrote:

> Change Windows to Classic view
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fa85b1033.mspx
> --
> *Report back, please*
>
> "Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:00F6BC02-6485-4EFA-AE57-09C7D728E58A@microsoft.com...
> >I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.
> >
> > I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly
> > use -
> > rearrange - organize - categorize...
> >
> > If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files
> > the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit"
> > or
> > worse, "Szie all columns to fit."
> >
> > If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into (or
> > out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move about
> > when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start of
> > the
> > list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where I
> > got
> > the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
> >
> > If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my files
> > and
> > can't read their size or dates.
> >
> > "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
> >
> > Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the windows
> > with CLASSIC VIEW???
> >
> > I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that most
> > people only play video games and not serious work.
> >
> > Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of the
> > old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much of
> > my
> > time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

DP

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
OK. I was just trying to make sure that the problem was that you had too
many headers and that it was making the file names shift off the screen as a
result.

"Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C9290FF1-101B-4C1C-A112-A9ED79D472BB@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
>> >
>> > If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my
>> > files
>> > and
>> > can't read their size or dates.
>> >
>> > "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
>> >
>> > Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the
>> > windows
>> > with CLASSIC VIEW???
>> >
>> > I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that
>> > most
>> > people only play video games and not serious work.
>> >
>> > Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of
>> > the
>> > old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much
>> > of
>> > my
>> > time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

No need for hostility. I was just trying to help.

The correct response is: Thanks Bob, I already tried that.
--
*Report back, please*

"Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C89A1CF9-88FC-4C4A-B54F-0DEB81BD9537@microsoft.com...
> Now, why would you reply with something like;
>
> "Change Windows to Classic view
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/13d46a66-24a5-47d0-be06-47649ccfa85b1033.mspx"
>
> ... after I wrote that I tried to use "classic view"? I went into rather
> deep descriptions of what "views" Vista seems to have preset as "classic"
> none of which ARE classic view.
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> Change Windows to Classic view
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fa85b1033.mspx
>> --
>> *Report back, please*
>>
>> "Again ... simplicity?" <Againsimplicity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:00F6BC02-6485-4EFA-AE57-09C7D728E58A@microsoft.com...
>> >I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista.
>> >
>> > I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly
>> > use -
>> > rearrange - organize - categorize...
>> >
>> > If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the
>> > files
>> > the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to
>> > fit"
>> > or
>> > worse, "Szie all columns to fit."
>> >
>> > If I am using the "List" view and moving files in my main folder into
>> > (or
>> > out of) several sub folders, the entire list will automatically move
>> > about
>> > when I perform a drag and drop operation, from the folder at the start
>> > of
>> > the
>> > list (where I drop it) to suddenly shifting many columns back to where
>> > got
>> > the file from ... OMG I want to scream!
>> >
>> > If I use "Small Icons" I can't read the entire title of half of my
>> > files
>> > and
>> > can't read their size or dates.
>> >
>> > "Tiles" and "Medium Icons" are just too big ...
>> >
>> > Why can't I actually have "classic view" when I try to set up the
>> > windows
>> > with CLASSIC VIEW???
>> >
>> > I swear - it's as though someone at Microsoft actually believes that
>> > most
>> > people only play video games and not serious work.
>> >
>> > Is there anyway to actually make folders open and function like all of
>> > the
>> > old Windows systems did? These nifty bells and whistles consume so much
>> > of
>> > my
>> > time and I'm close to never coming back to this platform again.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Can anyone make it all stop?
In the Details view, you're not limited to the right-click options on the
column headers -- you can drag the dividers between headers to set custom
width for the columns.

Also, I'm not sure what you are defining as "classic view". Could you
please elaborate?

--
Good Luck,

Keith