Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?

Steve Mavronis

Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I'm trying to do another Complete PC
Backup to an external 500gb USB drive and I'm getting error (0x80780048) due
to not enough free space left on the backup drive. The screen before says,
if there is not enough free space it will start deleting prior backups
starting with the oldest. This does not seem to be the case as advertised! I
do scheduled regular data backups once a week and every month or more I also
do a manual Complete PC Backup. Is my only resort to reformat my external
500gb backup drive and start over with a fresh complete pc backup until the
drive fills up again? I thought this was a cool feature with Vista Ultimate
(which made me buy it over the Premium edition) but it does not
automatically delete the oldest backups to make room?

jamesvdm

RE: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?
Hey

Vista should automatically delete older files as advertised. Are you using
the built in backup tool or ntbackup (or batch files?).

James

"Steve Mavronis" wrote:

> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I'm trying to do another Complete PC
> Backup to an external 500gb USB drive and I'm getting error (0x80780048) due
> to not enough free space left on the backup drive. The screen before says,
> if there is not enough free space it will start deleting prior backups
> starting with the oldest. This does not seem to be the case as advertised! I
> do scheduled regular data backups once a week and every month or more I also
> do a manual Complete PC Backup. Is my only resort to reformat my external
> 500gb backup drive and start over with a fresh complete pc backup until the
> drive fills up again? I thought this was a cool feature with Vista Ultimate
> (which made me buy it over the Premium edition) but it does not
> automatically delete the oldest backups to make room?

Steve Mavronis

Re: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?
I'm using the built-in Vista Ultimate edition Complete PC Backup
application. It's not deleting old backups to make room. Does this happen to
everyone? I'm reading many stories of this happening via web searching with
no good solutions except reformat the backup drive and start over until it
fills up again! I hope this is addressed in the first Vista service pack.

Steve

"jamesvdm" <jamesvdm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey
>
> Vista should automatically delete older files as advertised. Are you using
> the built in backup tool or ntbackup (or batch files?).
>
> James
>
> "Steve Mavronis" wrote:
>
>> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I'm trying to do another Complete PC
>> Backup to an external 500gb USB drive and I'm getting error (0x80780048)
>> due
>> to not enough free space left on the backup drive. The screen before
>> says,
>> if there is not enough free space it will start deleting prior backups
>> starting with the oldest. This does not seem to be the case as
>> advertised! I
>> do scheduled regular data backups once a week and every month or more I
>> also
>> do a manual Complete PC Backup. Is my only resort to reformat my external
>> 500gb backup drive and start over with a fresh complete pc backup until
>> the
>> drive fills up again? I thought this was a cool feature with Vista
>> Ultimate
>> (which made me buy it over the Premium edition) but it does not
>> automatically delete the oldest backups to make room?

Steve Mavronis

Re: Vista Ultimate "Complete PC Backup" Fails with (0x80780048) Error
Anyone have a solution, besides reformatting my external backup drive to
make space again? My external USB backup drive is 500gb and now have 70gb
free on it. I acknowledge there is not enough free space to backup the 184mb
in use so far on my 500gb C drive. But the Complete PC backup is supposed to
delete the oldest backup image(s) to make room for the new backup if needed
right? At least that's what it says on the screen before it check for
available disk space on the backup drive. I searched Microsoft's Vista
support page for the error code but didn't find any matches to help me. Here
are my system specs if that will help:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2gb RAM, 500gb RAID-0 HD,
Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb GPU, 22" Widescreen LCD, Asus/ViXS Combo-210E TV Tuner,
Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Audio, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Logitech
Premium Stereo Headset, external Lacie USB 500gb backup drive.

keokani

Re: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?

Steve,

Across the internet, you are the lead investigator into this issue.
Nearly all discussions are duplicates of your same thread. To date, no
one has stepped in yet with the final answer. You have not posted a
followup to indicate that you have found the answer either. The URL I
found that has the most replies to your thread is:

'Vista Complete PC Backup error 0x80780048'
(http://www.computerforum.com/114529-...x80780048.html)

Today, I ran into this same issue on my 64-bit version of Vista.
Apparently, the oldest backup has been removed, but it looks like the
Backup and Restore Center still thinks that it hasn't, because it is
still displaying the oldest backup date, which doesn't appear on the
external backup drive when I open it.

Shawn, who I believe owns this Vistax64.com website forum, helped me
solve my last Vista problem. I was hoping he would have already had a
tutorial or final solution for this problem, but apparently he does not.
Hopefully, he can solve this problem too. That is why I chose this forum
to reply to your thread.

Could either one of you please follow up.

--
keokani
chuckbam

Re: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?

There must be a regedit fix for this. Vista want 360 GBto back-up but
uses about 70 Gb on my drive after the backup.

--
chuckbam
John

"chuckbam" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> There must be a regedit fix for this. Vista want 360 GBto back-up but
> uses about 70 Gb on my drive after the backup.
>

> --
> chuckbam

I didn't see the beginning of this thread, but I think Microsoft has a KB
patch or something for this error.

John

chuckbam

John;743741 Wrote:
> "chuckbam" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:90c95fd006307c745bae41d1f64a77f4@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > There must be a regedit fix for this. Vista want 360 GBto back-up but
> > > uses about 70 Gb on my drive after the backup.
> > >

> > > --
> > > chuckbam > >

> I didn't see the beginning of this thread, but I think Microsoft has
> a KB
> patch or something for this error.
>
> John

I read the patches every month at MS download. I must have missed that.
I delete everything on a backup drives to clear over 350GBs for a 70 GB
backup.

--
chuckbam
bullred

Re: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?

yup---i noticed this to this past week. i get a little taskbar message
saying "did not backup today" something to that effect.(i'm at work on
XP so I don't remember the exact quote from my Vista).

i have a 200 gig internal storage fat32 drive i use between vista and
linux. i knew it was half full but was not aware it was backing up that
much stuff. which was only my documents,pics, and some mp3's. it has 70
megs of space left---thats megs,not gigs!:geek:

problem is, since this is just a storage drive, i can't find where the
backups are---yet it's full. anybody know what file i'd be looking
for---like .bu or something? i can't find'em. prolly just haveing a bald
moment week. anyway---where are my backups on this full drive? thx yall
:shock:

--
bullred
Sushil Baid [MSFT]

Re: Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space?
Hi Chuckbam,

i will need some diagnostic information to get the root cause. i will ask
support person to get in touch with you.

in the meanwhile - can you pl send
1. the total/free size of the volume you are tyring to backup and of the
backup target by seeing them in explore - detailed view?
2. vssadmin list shadowstorage -- command output
3. are you using UI or commandline? pl pass the command line output or ui
screen for context.

--
-sushil [MSFT]
this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or