Can't delete backup folder/files

mdnarch is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't delete backup folder/files
Vista Home Basic, UAC off - I created a full backup over a year ago, on my C drive. I now want to make a new full backup to DVD, but I would like to delete the old one first because it is large (16 GB). When I attempt to delete it Vista goes through all the motions of recycling, then returns a message "Destination Folder Access Denied - You need permission to perform this action".

The backup folder and subfolders are amrked "Read Only". I have tried but cannot change that attribute. Can someone tell me how to delete this old backup? Thanks in advance!
Bob

Re: Can't delete backup folder/files
Open an Admin command prompt. Navigate to the old backup.
Type attrib -r [filename] (without the brackets) Press Enter.
Type del [filename] (without the brackets) Press Enter.

"mdnarch" <mdnarch.35yikd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Vista Home Basic, UAC off - I created a full backup over a year ago, on
> my C drive. I now want to make a new full backup to DVD, but I would
> like to delete the old one first because it is large (16 GB). When I
> attempt to delete it Vista goes through all the motions of recycling,
> then returns a message "Destination Folder Access Denied - You need
> permission to perform this action".
>
> The backup folder and subfolders are amrked "Read Only". I have tried
> but cannot change that attribute. Can someone tell me how to delete
> this old backup? Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> mdnarch

Brink

mdnarch;639133 Wrote:
> Vista Home Basic, UAC off - I created a full backup over a year ago, on
> my C drive. I now want to make a new full backup to DVD, but I would
> like to delete the old one first because it is large (16 GB). When I
> attempt to delete it Vista goes through all the motions of recycling,
> then returns a message "Destination Folder Access Denied - You need
> permission to perform this action".
>
> The backup folder and subfolders are amrked "Read Only". I have tried
> but cannot change that attribute. Can someone tell me how to delete
> this old backup? Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> mdnarch

Hi Mdnarch,

You will need to open the backup folder and all of it's subfolders and
grant access permission as you are doing this first, then you should be
able to delete it afterwards.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Thobias Sjökvist

"Bob" wrote:

> Open an Admin command prompt. Navigate to the old backup.
> Type attrib -r [filename] (without the brackets) Press Enter.
> Type del [filename] (without the brackets) Press Enter.

In addition to the above I needed to use:

<code>takeown /F bah /R /D Y</code>

But then I could (finally) delete the files.
Bob

Re: Can't delete backup folder/files

Glad to hear you worked it out. Thank you for the feedback.
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Thobias Sjökvist" <ThobiasSjkvist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BD0899ED-84F5-4B16-A192-D96964B94862@microsoft.com...