Details Pane Inactive for MP3s

Saunataga

Details Pane Inactive for MP3s
When trying to edit the Details Pane while viewing MP3s on an external USB HD
(Computer>WD>Music Files>Artist>Song), I find that the items in the pane that
should be able to be edited are all inactive - clicking on any or all of them
produces no result whatsover. The SAVE button that sould be on the bottom is
missing also.
The Pane works fine when I access, for example, photos on my internal
hard drive, but nothing on the external drive can be edited, including mp3s
and photos.
Am I missing some setting or is this designed to be this way.
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Details Pane Inactive for MP3s
Check the Properties dialog for one of the files. On the 'General' tab,
make sure that the file doesn't have its 'Read-Only' attribute set.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Saunataga" <Saunataga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to edit the Details Pane while viewing MP3s on an external USB
> HD
> (Computer>WD>Music Files>Artist>Song), I find that the items in the pane
> that
> should be able to be edited are all inactive - clicking on any or all of
> them
> produces no result whatsover. The SAVE button that sould be on the bottom
> is
> missing also.
> The Pane works fine when I access, for example, photos on my internal
> hard drive, but nothing on the external drive can be edited, including
> mp3s
> and photos.
> Am I missing some setting or is this designed to be this way.

Saunataga

Re: Details Pane Inactive for MP3s
I've checked the Properties dialog for many of the files and none of them
have the read-only attribute checked. It seems as if nothing on the external
USB drive can generate the necessary flexibility in the details pane, despite
the fact that I can access everything on the hard drive. It does seem as if
the entire drive displays read-only qualities, but that's only via the
display pane. I can rename, for example, a photo file, by clicking on the
file itself. I assume I could also delete the file. That's not my
interpretation of "read-only". Unfortunately, I can't modify the music files
the same way because the data details (name,artist, song, album, etc.) are in
columns and I can only modify the entry in the first column.

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> Check the Properties dialog for one of the files. On the 'General' tab,
> make sure that the file doesn't have its 'Read-Only' attribute set.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Saunataga" <Saunataga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to edit the Details Pane while viewing MP3s on an external USB
> > HD
> > (Computer>WD>Music Files>Artist>Song), I find that the items in the pane
> > that
> > should be able to be edited are all inactive - clicking on any or all of
> > them
> > produces no result whatsover. The SAVE button that sould be on the bottom
> > is
> > missing also.
> > The Pane works fine when I access, for example, photos on my internal
> > hard drive, but nothing on the external drive can be edited, including
> > mp3s
> > and photos.
> > Am I missing some setting or is this designed to be this way.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Details Pane Inactive for MP3s
Weird. I obtained an external drive since my last post (Happy Birthday to
me! and the Details pane of Explorer allows me to edit file properties.

Actually, a file with its read-only attribute can be renamed, just not
modified

Can you make any changes to any of the pictures with Paint?

Is this an NTFS formatted drive? Was it part of an XP system? If NTFS,
check the Security tab of the Properties dialog & verify that you are the
owner of the files and have full control.

You might check this out:

https://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ard-drive.aspx