Restore zip file program

Larry

Restore zip file program
I changed the program that opens my zip files, and want to change it back so
it works as zip files. What program do I tell it to "open with", and how do I
find it?
Brink

Re: Restore zip file program

Larry;638063 Wrote:
> I changed the program that opens my zip files, and want to change it
> back so
> it works as zip files. What program do I tell it to "open with", and
> how do I
> find it?

Hi Larry,

This will show you how to restore the built-in ZIP handler in Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65...ile-vista.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Larry

Re: Restore zip file program
Hi, Brink

Thank you for your advice. It solved part of problem I created. The zip
files now open again.

The icons still shows a notepad or something; not a zip folder. When I right
click the "opwn with", it still shows the programs I assigned (Explorer and
notepad), and there seems to be no way to delete them. Is there some way to
get the folder icon back again, and get rid of those associations?

"Brink" wrote:

> Larry;638063 Wrote:
> > I changed the program that opens my zip files, and want to change it
> > back so
> > it works as zip files. What program do I tell it to "open with", and
> > how do I
> > find it?

> Hi Larry,
>
> This will show you how to restore the built-in ZIP handler in Vista.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65...ile-vista.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Brink

Re: Restore zip file program

Larry;638738 Wrote:
> Hi, Brink
>
> Thank you for your advice. It solved part of problem I created. The zip
> files now open again.
>
> The icons still shows a notepad or something; not a zip folder. When I
> right
> click the "opwn with", it still shows the programs I assigned (Explorer
> and
> notepad), and there seems to be no way to delete them. Is there some
> way to
> get the folder icon back again, and get rid of those associations?
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Larry;638063 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Larry,
> > >
> > > This will show you how to restore the built-in ZIP handler in Vista.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65...ile-vista.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Larry,

Well, at least we are part way there. See if rebuilding the icon cache
will reset the ZIP icon back to what it should be. This will show you
how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Restore zip file program
Download and apply the .zip association fix from here.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68C67B90-21CB-4B88-ABDF-34DA4B7CEA6C@microsoft.com...
I changed the program that opens my zip files, and want to change it back so
it works as zip files. What program do I tell it to "open with", and how do I
find it?
Larry

Re: Restore zip file program
Hi, Brink

All fixed! Thank you so much.

Also thanks to Ramesh, who had the more general file association link.
That's great to know about too.

Regards,
Larry

Larry;638933 Wrote:
> Hi, Brink
>
> All fixed! Thank you so much.
>
> Also thanks to Ramesh, who had the more general file association link.
> That's great to know about too.
>
> Regards,
> Larry
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Larry;638738 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Larry,
> > >
> > > Well, at least we are part way there. See if rebuilding the icon

> > cache
> > > will reset the ZIP icon back to what it should be. This will show you
> > > how.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Your welcome Larry. I'm glad to hear your problem is fixed now. Thank
you for the feedback.

Shawn