start button search functionality

mj

start button search functionality
Hi, when I put in a keyword (not a program in the start menu) in this
box, I don't get any results. When I then hit the see all results bar, it
opens a window and starts searching and I get results. but it doens't bring
up emails in the search.

It looks like something is courrupted. Is there a way to start over from
scratch so that search works fine?

thanks

MeNotKnow

Re: start button search functionality
Are you using Windows Mail to send/receive mail? If so, it should just work.
Though it takes a little time to build the search index when Vista is brand
new.

"mj" <mj@vistauser.com> wrote in message
> Hi, when I put in a keyword (not a program in the start menu) in this
> box, I don't get any results. When I then hit the see all results bar, it
> opens a window and starts searching and I get results. but it doens't
> bring up emails in the search.
>
> It looks like something is courrupted. Is there a way to start over from
> scratch so that search works fine?
>
> thanks

mj

Re: start button search functionality
I set things to default and now its rebuilding.
I am getting results for files and programs.
I will wait to see if I get emails too.

thanks

"MeNotKnow" <nereply@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Are you using Windows Mail to send/receive mail? If so, it should just
> work. Though it takes a little time to build the search index when Vista
> is brand new.
>

> "mj" <mj@vistauser.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, when I put in a keyword (not a program in the start menu) in this
>> box, I don't get any results. When I then hit the see all results bar, it
>> opens a window and starts searching and I get results. but it doens't
>> bring up emails in the search.
>>
>> It looks like something is courrupted. Is there a way to start over from
>> scratch so that search works fine?
>>
>> thanks

Dennis_N

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:31:22 -0500, "mj" <mj@vistauser.com> wrote:

> Hi, when I put in a keyword (not a program in the start menu) in this
>box, I don't get any results. When I then hit the see all results bar, it
>opens a window and starts searching and I get results. but it doens't bring
>up emails in the search.
>
>It looks like something is courrupted. Is there a way to start over from
>scratch so that search works fine?
>
>thanks

You can select where the search funtion will search from the
startmenu.

Right click start orb, and select properties.

Select customize, and scroll down the list near the bottom.
There should be somthing like "Search in files".

Regards
mj

Re: start button search functionality
I think I found the source of my problem.

There is a button that says search the file system (slow)
instead of the index. I had that checked. When I took the check
off, things were really fast and emails came up. This makes
sense because searching the file system for emails is
a losing proposition. It also was very slow. Don't check that
button!

thanks for all your help