File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas?

Norma

File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas?
This has happened 4 times with Vista:
A word on the Desktop is opened, modified, saved and closed.
Then, the word file is opened but it is showing an earlier version of the
file.
Any ideas on how to recover the word file and how to avoid this from
happening?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas?
Norma

What version of Word are you using?
How are you opening the Word file on the Desktop?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Norma" <Norma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This has happened 4 times with Vista:
> A word on the Desktop is opened, modified, saved and closed.
> Then, the word file is opened but it is showing an earlier version of the
> file.
> Any ideas on how to recover the word file and how to avoid this from
> happening?

Norma

Re: File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas?
Ronnie: The word version we have is: Word 2007 (12.0.6212.1000) from
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

The file was opened by clicking the icon on the desktop.

Thank you.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Norma
>
> What version of Word are you using?
> How are you opening the Word file on the Desktop?
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "Norma" <Norma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This has happened 4 times with Vista:
> > A word on the Desktop is opened, modified, saved and closed.
> > Then, the word file is opened but it is showing an earlier version of the
> > file.
> > Any ideas on how to recover the word file and how to avoid this from
> > happening?

Norma

Re: File Saved to Destkop Lost - Any ideas?
Ronnie - to be more specific, the actual file (not the word application) was
saved on the desktop and the file was opened by clicking on it right on the
desktop. Thank you.

"Norma" wrote:

> Ronnie: The word version we have is: Word 2007 (12.0.6212.1000) from
> Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
>
> The file was opened by clicking the icon on the desktop.
>
> Thank you.
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Norma
> >
> > What version of Word are you using?
> > How are you opening the Word file on the Desktop?
> >

> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Desktop Experience
> >

> > "Norma" <Norma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > This has happened 4 times with Vista:
> > > A word on the Desktop is opened, modified, saved and closed.
> > > Then, the word file is opened but it is showing an earlier version of the
> > > file.
> > > Any ideas on how to recover the word file and how to avoid this from
> > > happening?

Malke

Norma wrote:

> Ronnie - to be more specific, the actual file (not the word application)
> was saved on the desktop and the file was opened by clicking on it right
> on the
> desktop. Thank you.
>
> "Norma" wrote:
>
>> Ronnie: The word version we have is: Word 2007 (12.0.6212.1000) from
>> Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
>>
>> The file was opened by clicking the icon on the desktop.

>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Norma
>> >
>> > What version of Word are you using?
>> > How are you opening the Word file on the Desktop?

>> > "Norma" <Norma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I don't pretend to be more than caveperson level with Word, but is it
possible that the file is being saved (or Saved As) and the modified file
is being saved in your Documents? If this isn't possible, is this a domain
computer and possibly set to not allow changes on the Desktop (WAG here).
See what happens if you Save As to your Documents instead of to the Desktop
and then make a shortcut to the file on your Desktop. These are just
speculations because I've not ever seen this sort of thing happen all by
itself.

Malke
--
MS-MVP