faulty program caused my computer to lose icons

seajamit

faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
can u help me plz because i installed a faulty program and now folder icons
have been lost. i know i could live with this but it is really getting on my
nerves!!!
--
Jamie
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
Jamie

What program did you install that caused the problem?
What do the folder icons look like now?
Does this effect 'every' folder on the system or just certain folders?
Have you checked with the maker of that program?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"seajamit" <seajamit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can u help me plz because i installed a faulty program and now folder
> icons
> have been lost. i know i could live with this but it is really getting on
> my
> nerves!!!
> --
> Jamie

seajamit

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
its affected the folders, file folder, control panel, public network folder
and control panel, the program i used was this thing that changes icons, ive
scanned everything with norton 360 and windows defender no viruses so thats ok
--
Jamie

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Jamie
>
> What program did you install that caused the problem?
> What do the folder icons look like now?
> Does this effect 'every' folder on the system or just certain folders?
> Have you checked with the maker of that program?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "seajamit" <seajamit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can u help me plz because i installed a faulty program and now folder
> > icons
> > have been lost. i know i could live with this but it is really getting on
> > my
> > nerves!!!
> > --
> > Jamie

Malke

seajamit wrote:

> its affected the folders, file folder, control panel, public network
> folder and control panel, the program i used was this thing that changes
> icons, ive scanned everything with norton 360 and windows defender no
> viruses so thats ok

Yes, yes, but you still didn't answer Mr. Vernon's question and give us the
name of the program that did the damage. You also didn't say what that
program's tech support people said. No one can address your issues
specifically without that information.

In lieu of providing that, consider doing a System Restore to before you
installed the Mystery Program.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
seajamit

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
the problem is that i cant really anwser it because i cant remember the
website, all i no it was called xperience.
--
Jamie

"Malke" wrote:

> seajamit wrote:
>
> > its affected the folders, file folder, control panel, public network
> > folder and control panel, the program i used was this thing that changes
> > icons, ive scanned everything with norton 360 and windows defender no
> > viruses so thats ok

> Yes, yes, but you still didn't answer Mr. Vernon's question and give us the
> name of the program that did the damage. You also didn't say what that
> program's tech support people said. No one can address your issues
> specifically without that information.
>
> In lieu of providing that, consider doing a System Restore to before you
> installed the Mystery Program.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

seajamit

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
i understand that u need the info to help me but isnt there any way i can put
a new default icon as it only affected certain icons
--
Jamie

"seajamit" wrote:

> the problem is that i cant really anwser it because i cant remember the
> website, all i no it was called xperience.
> --
> Jamie
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > seajamit wrote:
> >
> > > its affected the folders, file folder, control panel, public network
> > > folder and control panel, the program i used was this thing that changes
> > > icons, ive scanned everything with norton 360 and windows defender no
> > > viruses so thats ok

> > Yes, yes, but you still didn't answer Mr. Vernon's question and give us the
> > name of the program that did the damage. You also didn't say what that
> > program's tech support people said. No one can address your issues
> > specifically without that information.
> >
> > In lieu of providing that, consider doing a System Restore to before you
> > installed the Mystery Program.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > Don't Panic!

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
Look in the registry for the key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell
Icons]

If it exists, delete it.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

>i understand that u need the info to help me but isnt there any way i can
>put
> a new default icon as it only affected certain icons
> --
> Jamie
>

> "seajamit" wrote:
>
>> the problem is that i cant really anwser it because i cant remember the
>> website, all i no it was called xperience.
>> --
>> Jamie

>> > Yes, yes, but you still didn't answer Mr. Vernon's question and give us
>> > the
>> > name of the program that did the damage. You also didn't say what that
>> > program's tech support people said. No one can address your issues
>> > specifically without that information.
>> >
>> > In lieu of providing that, consider doing a System Restore to before
>> > you
>> > installed the Mystery Program.
>> >
>> > Malke
>> > --
>> > MS-MVP
>> > Elephant Boy Computers
>> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> > Don't Panic!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
"seajamit" <seajamit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i understand that u need the info to help me but isnt there any way i can
>put
> a new default icon as it only affected certain icons
> --
> Jamie

Jamie

We do understand the problem you are having, the problem is that you just
refuse to provide any details? We cannot see your computer, so we rely on
you to give details about what you see.

You say it only affects certain icons, which icons?

Default icons are associated with the file types.
A file type is designated by it's file extension, such as .GIF, .JPG, .EXE,
..AVI, etc.
Each file type will have a different default icon.

Which file types are not displaying the proper icon?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

seajamit

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
ok i think i can anwser now it affects folders NOT files so this is the
details:
type: File Folder
there is nothing in the folder. If i put a new folder inthe folder icon is
still not correct and i can identify the icon it now displays it i: a icon
that doesnt know the program associated i think.

--
Jamie

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> "seajamit" <seajamit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i understand that u need the info to help me but isnt there any way i can
> >put
> > a new default icon as it only affected certain icons
> > --
> > Jamie

> Jamie
>
> We do understand the problem you are having, the problem is that you just
> refuse to provide any details? We cannot see your computer, so we rely on
> you to give details about what you see.
>
> You say it only affects certain icons, which icons?
>
> Default icons are associated with the file types.
> A file type is designated by it's file extension, such as .GIF, .JPG, .EXE,
> .AVI, etc.
> Each file type will have a different default icon.
>
> Which file types are not displaying the proper icon?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience

seajamit

Re: faulty program caused my computer to lose icons
Mr Miller, thanks for the solution but how am i supposed to get the original
stuff back???

Jamie