doc and settings ?

brinkc1

doc and settings ?

I have a clean verson of vista home. I just ran my mcafee virus scan
and it is finding 1,000's of virus's in the folder c:/documents and
settings. Anytime I open my c: drive this file doesn't show up. How do
I access this folder? It keeps making more viruses as fast as it is
deleting them.

Thanks

--
brinkc1
R. C. White

Re: doc and settings ?
Hi, brinkc1.

There is no Documents and Settings folder in Vista. That "folder" is
actually a "junction", which is just a pointer to the actual location of
your files. You probably will find them in C:\Users\brinkc1\Documents. If
you have multiple user accounts, there will be a Documents folder for each
of them under each C:\Users\<username> folder.

But I don't know anything about McAfee.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"brinkc1" <brinkc1.35rqv1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have a clean verson of vista home. I just ran my mcafee virus scan
> and it is finding 1,000's of virus's in the folder c:/documents and
> settings. Anytime I open my c: drive this file doesn't show up. How do
> I access this folder? It keeps making more viruses as fast as it is
> deleting them.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> brinkc1

Bob

Re: doc and settings ?
I assure you, you do not have "1,000's of virus's". There are compatibility
issues with McAfee. Replace it with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or
Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html,

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, brinkc1.
>
> There is no Documents and Settings folder in Vista. That "folder" is
> actually a "junction", which is just a pointer to the actual location of
> your files. You probably will find them in C:\Users\brinkc1\Documents.
> If you have multiple user accounts, there will be a Documents folder for
> each of them under each C:\Users\<username> folder.
>
> But I don't know anything about McAfee.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "brinkc1" <brinkc1.35rqv1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a clean verson of vista home. I just ran my mcafee virus scan
>> and it is finding 1,000's of virus's in the folder c:/documents and
>> settings. Anytime I open my c: drive this file doesn't show up. How do
>> I access this folder? It keeps making more viruses as fast as it is
>> deleting them.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> brinkc1

brinkc1

Re: doc and settings ?

I just ran AVG like mentioned above and it took off 432 trojan viruses.
I ran it again and it took off another 196 more. How can I make this
stop???

--
brinkc1
mikeyhsd

Re: doc and settings ?
run it till it does not find anymore.

QUIT going to those sites that give you the viruses.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"brinkc1" <brinkc1.35td70@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:brinkc1.35td70@no-mx.forums.net...

I just ran AVG like mentioned above and it took off 432 trojan viruses.
I ran it again and it took off another 196 more. How can I make this
stop???

--
brinkc1
brinkc1

Re: doc and settings ?

How do I know which sites do it? I don't typically go anywhere but a
few hunting forums, google, you tube, hotmail, and others like
previously listed.

--
brinkc1
Bob F.

Re: doc and settings ?
"brinkc1" <brinkc1.35uzj6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> How do I know which sites do it? I don't typically go anywhere but a
> few hunting forums, google, you tube, hotmail, and others like
> previously listed.
>

> --
> brinkc1

Please include enough of the previous message(s) so that others trying to
follow this thread know what you are talking about. Also please try to
"edit out" the non relevant portions. It helps everyone. Go to:
Tools > Options > Send > check - "Include message in reply"

--
BobF.

MrHope

Re: doc and settings ?

If I were you, I'd backup personal documents onto DVD and format/erase
the hard drive, including the Master Boot Record. Don't copy any
programs or system files as these are likely infected.

Second, obtain firewall and antivirus software for your system from
another secure computer. Also get some kind of program to remove other
kinds malware/spyware.

Third, install Windows again on the blank disk.

Fourth, install the firewall and antivirus software and
anti-malware/spyware software. Configure those programs to be fully
working. Don't connect to the internet or use programs from the
internet until your firewall and antivirus software is installed.

Fifth, reinstall the rest of your programs. Scanning them for viruses
first.

Six, connect to the internet if you need to download stuff.

For future safety, be sure to have email attachments scanned for
malware/viruses/trojans/worms/etc.

--
MrHope

Hear my music @ http://SoundClick.com/DeathlessDodecagon