Conversion of file list to Word Document

Carch

Conversion of file list to Word Document
How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on "View...List"
in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen, printing
the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally utilizing
the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents, which
I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used previously in
this manner.
I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..." with
identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not tagged.
Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

R. C. White

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document
Hi, Carch.

Use the Dir command in a Command Prompt window to send the listing to a text
file. Then import the file into Word.

In the Command Prompt window, enter:
dir <foldername> Listing.txt

To get the specific information you want for each file, you might experiment
with the Dir command before directing it to your text file. Typing Dir /?
will give you a mini-Help file showing the switches and parameters available
with that command. For example, Dir /d will produce a list of filenames
without dates, sizes, etc.

This may not be the best solution, but it beats the screen capture approach,
I think.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Carch" <Carch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on
> "View...List"
> in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen,
> printing
> the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally
> utilizing
> the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents,
> which
> I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used previously
> in
> this manner.
> I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..."
> with
> identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
> recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not tagged.
> Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

Carch

RE: Conversion of file list to Word Document
Hi R.C.!
If I wore a hat, other than the dunce's, I would certainly take it off to
you. Your solution to my problem was clearly stated and successfully
executed.
I did have to use a couple of extra steps because the directory listed the
folders in "Pictures", but could not find files within the folders,
irregardless of the path given. I was able to work around that by moving all
of the "Pictures" folders into a temporary folder in "Documents", then moving
a desired folder's files (photos) back into "Pictures". After using the
command prompt at that point, the files were returned to their folder in the
temporary folder, the now empty "Pictures" ready to receive the next batch.
There probably is a more efficient method than my clumsy end around, but it
works. A multitude of learned experts that I have consulted previously
have been unable to devise a method that does not ultimately involve
physically scanning and using OCR. I thank you very much for your
assistance, for without your solution, I would still be treading water in a
murky bayou.
"Carch"

"Carch" wrote:

> How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on "View...List"
> in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen, printing
> the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally utilizing
> the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents, which
> I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used previously in
> this manner.
> I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..." with
> identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
> recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not tagged.
> Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

R. C. White

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document
Hi, Carch.

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. ;<)

RC
--

> Hi R.C.!
> If I wore a hat, other than the dunce's, I would certainly take it off to
> you. Your solution to my problem was clearly stated and successfully
> executed.
> I did have to use a couple of extra steps because the directory listed the
> folders in "Pictures", but could not find files within the folders,
> irregardless of the path given. I was able to work around that by moving
> all
> of the "Pictures" folders into a temporary folder in "Documents", then
> moving
> a desired folder's files (photos) back into "Pictures". After using the
> command prompt at that point, the files were returned to their folder in
> the
> temporary folder, the now empty "Pictures" ready to receive the next
> batch.
> There probably is a more efficient method than my clumsy end around, but
> it
> works. A multitude of learned experts that I have consulted previously
> have been unable to devise a method that does not ultimately involve
> physically scanning and using OCR. I thank you very much for your
> assistance, for without your solution, I would still be treading water in
> murky bayou.
> "Carch"
>
> "Carch" wrote:
>
>> How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on
>> "View...List"
>> in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen,
>> printing
>> the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally
>> utilizing
>> the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents,
>> which
>> I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used previously
>> in
>> this manner.
>> I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..."
>> with
>> identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
>> recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not tagged.
>> Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

C and A Bredt

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Carch.
>
> You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. ;<)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Carch" <Carch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi R.C.!
>> If I wore a hat, other than the dunce's, I would certainly take it off to
>> you. Your solution to my problem was clearly stated and successfully
>> executed.
>> I did have to use a couple of extra steps because the directory listed
>> the
>> folders in "Pictures", but could not find files within the folders,
>> irregardless of the path given. I was able to work around that by moving
>> all
>> of the "Pictures" folders into a temporary folder in "Documents", then
>> moving
>> a desired folder's files (photos) back into "Pictures". After using the
>> command prompt at that point, the files were returned to their folder in
>> the
>> temporary folder, the now empty "Pictures" ready to receive the next
>> batch.
>> There probably is a more efficient method than my clumsy end around, but
>> it
>> works. A multitude of learned experts that I have consulted
>> previously
>> have been unable to devise a method that does not ultimately involve
>> physically scanning and using OCR. I thank you very much for your
>> assistance, for without your solution, I would still be treading water in
>> murky bayou.
>> "Carch"
>>
>> "Carch" wrote:
>>
>>> How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on
>>> "View...List"
>>> in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen,
>>> printing
>>> the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally
>>> utilizing
>>> the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents,
>>> which
>>> I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used
>>> previously in
>>> this manner.
>>> I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..."
>>> with
>>> identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
>>> recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not
>>> tagged.
>>> Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

C and A Bredt

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document
OOPS I thanked you too soon. I've been away from DOS too long.

What do I enter on the command line to get a listing of the files (for
example) in a subdirectory of Carol>Documents>MyFolder\Things in a .txt
document?

If I enter on the command line dir documents\MyFolder\Things it will display
on the screen, but says File Not Found

Thanks, CB

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Carch.
>
> You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. ;<)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Carch" <Carch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi R.C.!
>> If I wore a hat, other than the dunce's, I would certainly take it off to
>> you. Your solution to my problem was clearly stated and successfully
>> executed.
>> I did have to use a couple of extra steps because the directory listed
>> the
>> folders in "Pictures", but could not find files within the folders,
>> irregardless of the path given. I was able to work around that by moving
>> all
>> of the "Pictures" folders into a temporary folder in "Documents", then
>> moving
>> a desired folder's files (photos) back into "Pictures". After using the
>> command prompt at that point, the files were returned to their folder in
>> the
>> temporary folder, the now empty "Pictures" ready to receive the next
>> batch.
>> There probably is a more efficient method than my clumsy end around, but
>> it
>> works. A multitude of learned experts that I have consulted
>> previously
>> have been unable to devise a method that does not ultimately involve
>> physically scanning and using OCR. I thank you very much for your
>> assistance, for without your solution, I would still be treading water in
>> murky bayou.
>> "Carch"
>>
>> "Carch" wrote:
>>
>>> How can one convert the list of files in a folder, as shown on
>>> "View...List"
>>> in Explorer, to a Word Document without first capturing the screen,
>>> printing
>>> the image, then physically scanning the printed page, and finally
>>> utilizing
>>> the OCR program? I do not wish to retype the lists as text documents,
>>> which
>>> I nearly and effectively have to do when the OCR has been used
>>> previously in
>>> this manner.
>>> I have over 2,000 family photos that I have restored and "saved as..."
>>> with
>>> identifiying names and dates and need an editable list to be used by
>>> recipients of the copies that will be given. The photos were not
>>> tagged.
>>> Vista Home Premium and Office 2003 are being used.

C and A Bredt

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document
OOPS I thanked you too soon. Been away from DOS too long.

I can get it to display the directory, but it says File not Found when I try
to get it to put the listing in a file.

Thanks, CB

"C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-this@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Carch.
>>
>> You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. ;<)
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>>
>> "Carch" <Carch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi R.C.!
>>> If I wore a hat, other than the dunce's, I would certainly take it off
>>> you. Your solution to my problem was clearly stated and successfully
>>> executed.
>>> I did have to use a couple of extra steps because the directory listed
>>> the
>>> folders in "Pictures", but could not find files within the folders,
>>> irregardless of the path given. I was able to work around that by
>>> moving all
>>> of the "Pictures" folders into a temporary folder in "Documents", then
>>> moving
>>> a desired folder's files (photos) back into "Pictures". After using the
>>> command prompt at that point, the files were returned to their folder in
>>> the
>>> temporary folder, the now empty "Pictures" ready to receive the next
>>> batch.
>>> There probably is a more efficient method than my clumsy end around, but
>>> it
>>> works. A multitude of learned experts that I have consulted
>>> previously
>>> have been unable to devise a method that does not ultimately involve
>>> physically scanning and using OCR. I thank you very much for your
>>> assistance, for without your solution, I would still be treading water
>>> in a
>>> murky bayou.

Bob

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document

dir >> dir.txt will take the output of the dir command and appends it to the
existing data in the dir.txt file if the file exists. If dir.txt does not
exist, it will create the file first.

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

> OOPS I thanked you too soon. Been away from DOS too long.
>
> I can get it to display the directory, but it says File not Found when I
> try to get it to put the listing in a file.
>
> Thanks, CB
>
> "C and A Bredt" <abredt_at-delete-this@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Carch.
>>>
>>> You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. ;<)
>>>
>>> RC
>>> --
>>> R. C. White, CPA
>>> San Marcos, TX
>>> rc@grandecom.net
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)

On Request

Re: Conversion of file list to Word Document
Hello...I realize you have your solution at hand, but am writing to mention
a tool I have used: Karen's Directory Printer -- found at:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp

I realize that it is 'another piece of software' but I have found it to be
very handy in making listings of files.