trouble finding Word 2007 docs

John Myers

trouble finding Word 2007 docs
I have a problem finding Word 2007 files from the Search field in Windows
Explorer.

Example: I have a file named "test.docx" in "My Documents", and I can see
that file right in the Windows Explorer window. However, if I type, say
".docx", or "test", in the Search field in the top right-hand corner of
Explorer, the search comes up empty. I can, however, get the search function
to find the file if I:
- use the Search item on the Start Menu
- use the "Advanced Search" options in Windows Explorer, and have it search
all indexed locations
- use the "Advanced Search" options in Windows Explorer, and have it search
in non-indexed locations, hidden and system files

This problem only seems to exist with .docx files, so this may actually be
an issue of the Office 2007 indexer rather than Vista. It looks like the Word
indexer does not properly store the location information of the file.

Oh, and the problem I have may or may not be related to the fact that on my
system I have (of course) relocated the My Documents folder to a separate
partition.

Are others seeing this, too? Is there a fix for this?

Bob

Re: trouble finding Word 2007 docs
You might be having the problem because My Documents is not a real folder.
It's a "junction" pointing to the Documents folder. Same is true of all
Vista folders starting with "My".

"John Myers" <JohnMyers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem finding Word 2007 files from the Search field in Windows
> Explorer.
>
> Example: I have a file named "test.docx" in "My Documents", and I can see
> that file right in the Windows Explorer window. However, if I type, say
> ".docx", or "test", in the Search field in the top right-hand corner of
> Explorer, the search comes up empty. I can, however, get the search
> function
> to find the file if I:
> - use the Search item on the Start Menu
> - use the "Advanced Search" options in Windows Explorer, and have it
> search
> all indexed locations
> - use the "Advanced Search" options in Windows Explorer, and have it
> search
> in non-indexed locations, hidden and system files
>
> This problem only seems to exist with .docx files, so this may actually be
> an issue of the Office 2007 indexer rather than Vista. It looks like the
> Word
> indexer does not properly store the location information of the file.
>
> Oh, and the problem I have may or may not be related to the fact that on
> my
> system I have (of course) relocated the My Documents folder to a separate
> partition.
>
> Are others seeing this, too? Is there a fix for this?

John Myers

Re: trouble finding Word 2007 docs
> You might be having the problem because My Documents is not a real folder.
> It's a "junction" pointing to the Documents folder. Same is true of all
> Vista folders starting with "My".

Sorry, I mis-wrote: The file is in the "Documents" folder. And, like I said,
it is only the .docx files I have this problem with; I can find .doc files,
for example, without any problems.
Bob

Re: trouble finding Word 2007 docs
Are you running an earlier version of Word?

"John Myers" <JohnMyers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news51EF1FB-91EB-493D-B282-59A1BCE864DF@microsoft.com...
>> You might be having the problem because My Documents is not a real
>> folder.
>> It's a "junction" pointing to the Documents folder. Same is true of all
>> Vista folders starting with "My".

> Sorry, I mis-wrote: The file is in the "Documents" folder. And, like I
> said,
> it is only the .docx files I have this problem with; I can find .doc
> files,
> for example, without any problems.

John Myers

Re: trouble finding Word 2007 docs
> Are you running an earlier version of Word?

No, but...

This looks a bit embarassing, but when I checked this morning, now all of a
sudden I have no problem with those Word 2007 files anymore. I have no idea
what happened: The files I could not see before were not new files, so they
should have been in the index. Somehow there must have been a problem with
the index, which must have fixed itself overnight. Anyway, problem solved,
sorry for the confusion.