Can't find files downloaded to desktop....

iklein

Can't find files downloaded to desktop....
I’m looking for any suggestions you can offer. I’m new to Vista, but have a
lot of experience with Windows. I’m having a problem that’s really bugging
me. I paid for and downloaded an album from a reputable musical group’s
website (Linkin Park). The download manager asked me where I wanted to
download my files. I chose my desktop. Everything went fine… I watched each
file download, but when it was done, I went to my desktop and there was
nothing to be found. I can’t fine the files anywhere on my computer. Here’s
the weird thing…. When I go back to the site, I look at my preferences in the
download manager… it shows that my desktop is where I want to download my
files… I even see the folder that was created for my downloaded album, along
with a few other folder that I don’t see on my desktop and can’t locate on my
computer. I look at the path, copy it, go back to windows explorer
(computer) and paste the path, and it says it can’t find anything. It
appears to be there when I look at the download manager, but I can’t find it
on my computer… anywhere. Could this be an issue with Java? The download
manager made me update to the latest version.

Any thoughts?

Dwarf

RE: Can't find files downloaded to desktop....
Hi iklein,

Each user on a Windows Vista machine has their own set of folders which are
used to store their own files. Amongst these folders is 'Desktop'. To view
the files in these folders you need to log on as that user.
Dwarf

"iklein" wrote:

> I’m looking for any suggestions you can offer. I’m new to Vista, but have a
> lot of experience with Windows. I’m having a problem that’s really bugging
> me. I paid for and downloaded an album from a reputable musical group’s
> website (Linkin Park). The download manager asked me where I wanted to
> download my files. I chose my desktop. Everything went fine… I watched each
> file download, but when it was done, I went to my desktop and there was
> nothing to be found. I can’t fine the files anywhere on my computer. Here’s
> the weird thing…. When I go back to the site, I look at my preferences in the
> download manager… it shows that my desktop is where I want to download my
> files… I even see the folder that was created for my downloaded album, along
> with a few other folder that I don’t see on my desktop and can’t locate on my
> computer. I look at the path, copy it, go back to windows explorer
> (computer) and paste the path, and it says it can’t find anything. It
> appears to be there when I look at the download manager, but I can’t find it
> on my computer… anywhere. Could this be an issue with Java? The download
> manager made me update to the latest version.
>

> Any thoughts?

iklein

RE: Can't find files downloaded to desktop....
I only have one user setup on the computer.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi iklein,
>
> Each user on a Windows Vista machine has their own set of folders which are
> used to store their own files. Amongst these folders is 'Desktop'. To view
> the files in these folders you need to log on as that user.
> Dwarf
>
> "iklein" wrote:
>
> > I’m looking for any suggestions you can offer. I’m new to Vista, but have a
> > lot of experience with Windows. I’m having a problem that’s really bugging
> > me. I paid for and downloaded an album from a reputable musical group’s
> > website (Linkin Park). The download manager asked me where I wanted to
> > download my files. I chose my desktop. Everything went fine… I watched each
> > file download, but when it was done, I went to my desktop and there was
> > nothing to be found. I can’t fine the files anywhere on my computer. Here’s
> > the weird thing…. When I go back to the site, I look at my preferences in the
> > download manager… it shows that my desktop is where I want to download my
> > files… I even see the folder that was created for my downloaded album, along
> > with a few other folder that I don’t see on my desktop and can’t locate on my
> > computer. I look at the path, copy it, go back to windows explorer
> > (computer) and paste the path, and it says it can’t find anything. It
> > appears to be there when I look at the download manager, but I can’t find it
> > on my computer… anywhere. Could this be an issue with Java? The download
> > manager made me update to the latest version.
> >

> > Any thoughts?

Dwarf

RE: Can't find files downloaded to desktop....
Hi iklein,

Are you using the account that you setup when installing Vista? This is an
account with administrative priviledges. I recommend that you create a
standard account and use that for day-to-day computing. Another thing that I
recommend is that you use the 'Downloads' folder for all downloads whatever
the source. You can always copy and move items later on. It is possible that
updating Java might have caused your problem - did you follow a link from
your download manager or did you go directly to the Java website? If a
program, such as a download manager, recommends that you update a program
like this then you should NEVER follow the links from that program. Instead,
go directly to the website of the program in question. The latest version of
the program will be available from there. I enclose a link to the Java SE
Downloads page for your convenience. The latest version (at the time of
writing this post) is Version 6, Update 5.
Dwarf

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp