Public folders

silverbob

Public folders
Can public folders be disabled? This my home PC and I'm running Home
Premium. Nobody else uses this PC and its not on a network. So, the concept
of public folders is irrelevant for me. I found that some programs I
installed placed files in my public folders. And, when I remove them, my
program no longer works.

And, there's this little public folders icon in my task bar that's taking up
space and I'd like to remove it.
Brink

Re: Public folders

silverbob;634481 Wrote:
> Can public folders be disabled? This my home PC and I'm running Home
> Premium. Nobody else uses this PC and its not on a network. So, the
> concept
> of public folders is irrelevant for me. I found that some programs I
> installed placed files in my public folders. And, when I remove them,
> my
> program no longer works.
>
> And, there's this little public folders icon in my task bar that's
> taking up
> space and I'd like to remove it.

Hi SilverBob,

Sorry, you cannot remove the Public folders. They are a part of Vista
and are integrated with all user accounts on the computer.

If the Public folders icon is in Quick launch, then it is safe to
delete it.

If it is a toolbar item on the Taskbar, then this will show you how to
get rid if it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73...-toolbars.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
silverbob

Re: Public folders
Actually, the public folders icon is in my task bar, near the clock. I
already have too many icons there and would like to get rid of those I don't
need.

"Brink" wrote:

> silverbob;634481 Wrote:
> > Can public folders be disabled? This my home PC and I'm running Home
> > Premium. Nobody else uses this PC and its not on a network. So, the
> > concept
> > of public folders is irrelevant for me. I found that some programs I
> > installed placed files in my public folders. And, when I remove them,
> > my
> > program no longer works.
> >
> > And, there's this little public folders icon in my task bar that's
> > taking up
> > space and I'd like to remove it.

> Hi SilverBob,
>
> Sorry, you cannot remove the Public folders. They are a part of Vista
> and are integrated with all user accounts on the computer.
>
> If the Public folders icon is in Quick launch, then it is safe to
> delete it.
>
> If it is a toolbar item on the Taskbar, then this will show you how to
> get rid if it.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73...-toolbars.html
>
> Hope this helps you,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Bob

Re: Public folders

"silverbob" <silverbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually, the public folders icon is in my task bar, near the clock. I
> already have too many icons there and would like to get rid of those I
> don't
> need.

Right click taskbar>Properties>Customize>Hide

Brink

Re: Public folders

silverbob;634570 Wrote:
> Actually, the public folders icon is in my task bar, near the clock. I
> already have too many icons there and would like to get rid of those I
> don't
> need.
>

> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > silverbob;634481 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi SilverBob,
> > >
> > > Sorry, you cannot remove the Public folders. They are a part of Vista
> > > and are integrated with all user accounts on the computer.
> > >
> > > If the Public folders icon is in Quick launch, then it is safe to
> > > delete it.
> > >
> > > If it is a toolbar item on the Taskbar, then this will show you how

> > > get rid if it.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73...-toolbars.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

SilverBob,

Is this a 3rd party program that uses your Public folders in the
Notification tray icon area? See if you can right click on it to see
options to either close or exit the program. You will probably have to
remove them from the Startup programs list to prevent them from
reloading again at the next startup.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Lee

Re: Public folders

Wrong!

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...off.html?ltr=P
they CAN be disabled

Brink

Re: Public folders

Lee;634631 Wrote:

> Wrong!
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...off.html?ltr=P
> they CAN be disabled

LOL Lee,

Yes, they can be disabled for network sharing, but not for user
accounts on the single computer. I believe SilverBob was wanting to know
if he could just delete them all together.

Good idea anyway though.

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
silverbob

Re: Public folders
Everything here is set to "hide when minimized" and Public Folders is not
even in the list.

"Bob" wrote:

> "silverbob" <silverbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, the public folders icon is in my task bar, near the clock. I
> > already have too many icons there and would like to get rid of those I
> > don't
> > need.

> Right click taskbar>Properties>Customize>Hide

silverbob

Re: Public folders
This tutorial only enables or disables network sharing. It doesn't prevent
users on the same machine from accessing the folders, nor does it make the
icon go away. My setting was already disabled.

"Lee" wrote:

> Wrong!
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...off.html?ltr=P
> they CAN be disabled

silverbob

Re: Public folders
Well, I finally got rid of the Public Folders icon in my task bar. How?
First I disabled the Desktop toolbar, which made the Public Folders icon go
away as well. When I re-enabled the Desktop toolbar. The PF icon didn't
come back. I'll have to wait and see if it stays this way.