Search doesn't scan pdf files

kurgan

Search doesn't scan pdf files

The built in search version for Vista (I have Vista Business 64 bit)
doesn't search pdfs. I have Acrobat version 8.1.2. I read about a
problem on this but the solution was to update. Any ideas?

--
kurgan
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files
Kurgan

Open Control Panel/Indexing Options. Click the Advanced Button / File Types
Tab.

Scroll down and make sure that the .PDF file type is selected.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"kurgan" <kurgan.35ps10@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> The built in search version for Vista (I have Vista Business 64 bit)
> doesn't search pdfs. I have Acrobat version 8.1.2. I read about a
> problem on this but the solution was to update. Any ideas?
>

> --
> kurgan

kurgan

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files

It was selected. This is really weird. Most of my documents are pdfs. I
don't want to use google desktop.

--
kurgan
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files
Kurgan

The Vista search for .pdf files depends on an 'iFilter' that is installed
with Acrobat. If this file has been corrupted or is missing, this could
cause the problem you are seeing. Go to the following website to download
the latest iFilter and re-install.

Acrobat : For Windows : Adobe PDF IFilter v6.0:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2611

Also make sure that the index locations where the pdf files are located is
in the index options list.

--

"kurgan" <kurgan.35pxl0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> It was selected. This is really weird. Most of my documents are pdfs. I
> don't want to use google desktop.
>
> Ronnie Vernon MVP;633639 Wrote:
>> Kurgan
>>
>> Open Control Panel/Indexing Options. Click the Advanced Button / File
>> Types
>> Tab.
>>
>> Scroll down and make sure that the .PDF file type is selected.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>

>> "kurgan" <kurgan.35ps10@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> news:kurgan.35ps10@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >

> --
> kurgan

kurgan

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files

I've done every thing and it still doesn't

--
kurgan
kurgan

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files

I've done every thing and it still doesn't work. Should I just
reinstall Acrobat?

--
kurgan
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files
Kurgan

The only thing I can recommend is that you try Adobe support to see if this
a coomon behavior and if they have a fix available.

--

"kurgan" <kurgan.35ros3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I've done every thing and it still doesn't work. Should I just
> reinstall Acrobat?
>

> --
> kurgan

kurgan

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files

Thanks.

I found out that it will not work with my 64 bit Vista. Adobe has only
released the "iFilter" for 32 bit OSs. There is some company called
Foxit that may have some work around. I'm still investigating.

Ronnie Vernon MVP;635888 Wrote:
> Kurgan
>
> The only thing I can recommend is that you try Adobe support to see if
> this
> a coomon behavior and if they have a fix available.

kurgan
kurgan

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files

I found the solution:

I actually had already fixed it with the foxit software ifilter but
hadn't restarted my computer (or stopped and started the service).

Here's a good link:

'Filter Central : Long awaited 64-bit PDF IFilter finally available.'
(http://blogs.msdn.com/ifilter/archiv...available.aspx)

Note that I would just check this registry entry after the foxit
ifilter installation. The registry should already be there.

Stop and start the service and you're good to go. Thanks Foxit (and a
dark frown for Adobe).

--
kurgan
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Search doesn't scan pdf files
Kurgan

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got this sorted.