Deleting Vista Search Folders

pvc

Deleting Vista Search Folders

I am hoping to find an automated method for deleting the Vista Search
Folders. I tried command line scripts to remove the folder (RMDIR or
DELTREE), but I'm not having any luck with the search folders. I am
able to delete other folders with a script (like this one): Del
C:\Myfolder\*.*.* RMDir C:\Myfolder But I cannot delete a Vista Search
Folders like this folder; C:\Users\myname\Searches\Everywhere I can
delete them manually, but not with a script. Any suggestions?

--
pvc

R. C. White

Re: Deleting Vista Search Folders
Hi, pvc.

That's because the Search Folders don't actually exist. They are only
"virtual folders". In Help and Support's search window, type "search
folder" (with the quotes) for more information. Check out item 3.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

newsvc.35pnv1@no-mx.forums.net...

R. C. White;633434 Wrote:
> Hi, pvc.
>
> That's because the Search Folders don't actually exist. They are only
> &quot;virtual folders&quot;. In Help and Support's search window, type
> &quot;search
> folder&quot; (with the quotes) for more information. Check out item 3.
>
> RC

Thanks RC;
Though now that I understand that these are virtual folders, I am more
lost than ever.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to automate the task of
deleting a Vista search (virtual folder)?

--
pvc
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Deleting Vista Search Folders
You do realize they're just 1K files, right? So if you goal is to reclaim
drive space this ain't gonna do it

Also, though I can't swear to it, I think I read that all searches are based
on the 'Everywhere' or 'Indexed Locations' searches. I'm not sure if Search
will still work if you delete these.

That being said, searches are files with a .search-ms extension. The only
catch is that 'Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations' have their hidden &
read-only attributes set. So the following two commands will do the trick:

del *.search-ms (most of the searches)
del /ahr *.search-ms ('Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations')

Extra Credit: Using a shortcut to Notepad in your Send To folder, open a
saved search in Notepad to view the underlying XML

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Keith Miller \(MVP\);633510 Wrote:
> You do realize they're just 1K files, right? So if you goal is to
> reclaim
> drive space this ain't gonna do it
>
> Also, though I can't swear to it, I think I read that all searches are
> based
> on the 'Everywhere' or 'Indexed Locations' searches. I'm not sure if
> will still work if you delete these.
>
> That being said, searches are files with a .search-ms extension. The
> only
> catch is that 'Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations' have their hidden &
> read-only attributes set. So the following two commands will do the
> trick:
>
> del *.search-ms (most of the searches)
> del /ahr *.search-ms ('Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations')
>
> Extra Credit: Using a shortcut to Notepad in your Send To folder, open
> saved search in Notepad to view the underlying XML
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

That works great! Thanks Keith.

I am deleting these for privacy purposes and not to reclaim disk space.

My (Everywhere) search still works with these folders deleted. I use
the slow search (which is fine for my purposes) because I also changed
my indexing properties (for privacy purposes) to index nothing (no disk,
no folders). Thanks again for your help.

--
pvc
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Deleting Vista Search Folders
PVC

Also, something else to consider when working with the Search virtual
folders. You can delete the search folder OK, without any issues, but If you
delete a file or multiple files from that folder, the actual original file
will also be deleted.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"pvc" <pvc.35pu44@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsvc.35pu44@no-mx.forums.net...

> Keith Miller \(MVP\);633510 Wrote:
>> You do realize they're just 1K files, right? So if you goal is to
>> reclaim
>> drive space this ain't gonna do it
>>
>> Also, though I can't swear to it, I think I read that all searches are
>> based
>> on the 'Everywhere' or 'Indexed Locations' searches. I'm not sure if
>> will still work if you delete these.
>>
>> That being said, searches are files with a .search-ms extension. The
>> only
>> catch is that 'Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations' have their hidden &
>> read-only attributes set. So the following two commands will do the
>> trick:
>>
>> del *.search-ms (most of the searches)
>> del /ahr *.search-ms ('Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations')
>>
>> Extra Credit: Using a shortcut to Notepad in your Send To folder, open
>> saved search in Notepad to view the underlying XML
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

> That works great! Thanks Keith.
>
> I am deleting these for privacy purposes and not to reclaim disk space.
>
> My (Everywhere) search still works with these folders deleted. I use
> the slow search (which is fine for my purposes) because I also changed
> my indexing properties (for privacy purposes) to index nothing (no disk,
> no folders). Thanks again for your help.
>

> --
> pvc

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Deleting Vista Search Folders
"pvc" <pvc.35pu44@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsvc.35pu44@no-mx.forums.net...

> Keith Miller \(MVP\);633510 Wrote:
>>
>> del *.search-ms (most of the searches)
>> del /ahr *.search-ms ('Everywhere' and 'Indexed Locations')
>>

> That works great! Thanks Keith.
>
> I am deleting these for privacy purposes and not to reclaim disk space.
>
> My (Everywhere) search still works with these folders deleted. I use
> the slow search (which is fine for my purposes) because I also changed
> my indexing properties (for privacy purposes) to index nothing (no disk,
> no folders). Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome. Just curious: Hi-level technology secrets or salacious chat
logs/e-mail? ;-)

Keith Miller \(MVP\);633731 Wrote:
> You're welcome. Just curious: Hi-level technology secrets or salacious
> chat
> logs/e-mail? ;-)
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Hi Keith;
No, nothing top secret, lol. I have always disagreed with the way ms
likes to squirrel away my files into a very-very-very long chain of
folder names.

I have always disagreed with the way ms reveals personal information
(for those savvy enough to know where to look) about what I have been
doing for the last decade.

When I build a new system I always make these type of changes in order
to make it my Personal Computer. I know the location of each and every
one of my files. Therefore I don't need a lightning-fast search to tell
me where my files are.

I especially don't need a search to tell me where to find windows
tools/features because if I rely on search for this then I will forget
how to find my tools myself.

My automated cleanup script is working well, thanks to your help.
Perhaps you can help me with automating the task of deleting the
contents of this folder (C:\Users\myname\Recent). I can deleted the
contents manually, but I am having trouble finding an automated
solution.
Dan

Antec P182 || GA-P35C-DS3R || QX9650 3.0GHz /w Thermalright Ultra-120
eXtreme w/Scythe KAMA PWM Fan || 2x2GB Mushkin 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 || ECS
8800GT w/ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 + Turbo Fans || WD180GB + WD500GB
Sata 3.0Gb/s || SeaSonic M12 SS-500HM psu || Vista 64-Bit Home Premium

--
pvc
pvc

Re: Deleting Vista Search Folders

Keith Miller \(MVP\);633510 Wrote:
> Extra Credit: Using a shortcut to Notepad in your Send To folder, open a
> saved search in Notepad to view the underlying XML
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

I found out how to add a shortcut to Notepad into the list of Send To
items. Though, you can also view the underlying XML with right-click
Open With and then choose Notepad;
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<persistedQuery version="1.0"><viewInfo viewMode="details"
iconSize="16" stackIconSize="0" displayName="Search Results in
Everywhere" autoListFlags="0"><visibleColumns><column
viewField="System.ItemNameDisplay"/><column
viewField="System.DateModified"/><column
viewField="System.ItemType"/><column
viewField="System.ItemFolderPathDisplayNarrow"/><column
viewField="System.Author"/><column
viewField="System.Keywords"/></visibleColumns><sortList><sort
viewField="System.DateModified"
direction="descending"/></sortList></viewInfo><query><conditions><condition
type="orCondition"><attributes/><condition type="leafCondition"
property="System.Generic.Integer" propertyType="int64" operator="eq"
value="10"
valuetype="System.StructuredQueryType.Integer"><at tributes/></condition><condition
type="leafCondition" property="System.Generic.String"
propertyType="string" operator="wordmatch" value="010"
name="item"/></kindList><providers><provider
clsid="{88CF4A86-5D7A-48EB-B53E-EA388A390096}"/></providers><subQueries><subQuery
path="C:\Users\Dan\Searches\Everywhere.search-ms"/></subQueries></query><properties><author
Type="string">Dan</author></properties></persistedQuery>

--
pvc