"open with..." how to restore defaults?

DarrenW

"open with..." how to restore defaults?
Hi, I want to know how I can reset to the default programs for opening a file..
For example, I've got an .sav file from my Halo game folder, and one day I
was just fiddling around with the folders and I accidently clicked it and
chose Adobe Reader as the program.. then I tried WordPad, etc.. - don't know
why I did that. And I don't like it how all my .sav files have the little
WordPad logo on their icons. Also, I want to get rid of the 'recommended
programs' that pops up when you >right-click >"open with..." [the recommended
programs is just all the programs I tried to open the .sav file with... -.- ]
So anyway, how do I make it so its the default (in this case, there isn't a
"Default" but I want it like it was before - i.e. 'unknown application' or
something where after you click it, it asks you to choose a program, etc..

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: "open with..." how to restore defaults?
Darren

See the following website.

Unassociate File Extension Type:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...tion-type.html

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"DarrenW" <DarrenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I want to know how I can reset to the default programs for opening a
> file..
> For example, I've got an .sav file from my Halo game folder, and one day I
> was just fiddling around with the folders and I accidently clicked it and
> chose Adobe Reader as the program.. then I tried WordPad, etc.. - don't
> know
> why I did that. And I don't like it how all my .sav files have the little
> WordPad logo on their icons. Also, I want to get rid of the 'recommended
> programs' that pops up when you >right-click >"open with..." [the
> recommended
> programs is just all the programs I tried to open the .sav file
> with... -.- ]
> So anyway, how do I make it so its the default (in this case, there isn't
> "Default" but I want it like it was before - i.e. 'unknown application' or
> something where after you click it, it asks you to choose a program, etc..
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!!
> Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: "open with..." how to restore defaults?
An utility to unassociate file types in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog