Deleting AppData

Kaje

Deleting AppData
I recently installed a game on Vista Home Premium and after uninstalling it I
noticed that there was alot of files for the game left in the appdata local
folder. I found the folder and it was labeled Ubisoft ( maker of game ) and I
was wondering can I delete this folder? also why are things being left in
this folder and can I stop that in the future ?
Thank you for help
Dave

Re: Deleting AppData
It should be safe to delete the Ubisoft folder. You may have to change
permissions on it first, though.
Do not delete \AppData or \Local.

Some programs do not clean up after themselves upon uninstall, or they leave
settings or data files which can be reused if you decide to reinstall the
program.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Kaje" <Kaje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed a game on Vista Home Premium and after uninstalling
> it I
> noticed that there was alot of files for the game left in the appdata
> local
> folder. I found the folder and it was labeled Ubisoft ( maker of game )
> and I
> was wondering can I delete this folder? also why are things being left in
> this folder and can I stop that in the future ?
> Thank you for help

Kaje

Re: Deleting AppData
Thank's Dave
I just removed the Ubisoft folder and now I don't have all those lingering
files. I was wondering if the appData file is new to Vista because I didn't
have this with XP?

Thank you again

"Dave" wrote:

> It should be safe to delete the Ubisoft folder. You may have to change
> permissions on it first, though.
> Do not delete \AppData or \Local.
>
> Some programs do not clean up after themselves upon uninstall, or they leave
> settings or data files which can be reused if you decide to reinstall the
> program.
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "Kaje" <Kaje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently installed a game on Vista Home Premium and after uninstalling
> > it I
> > noticed that there was alot of files for the game left in the appdata
> > local
> > folder. I found the folder and it was labeled Ubisoft ( maker of game )
> > and I
> > was wondering can I delete this folder? also why are things being left in
> > this folder and can I stop that in the future ?
> > Thank you for help

Dave

Re: Deleting AppData
Yes, it's new to Vista. \AppData is the equivalent of XP's Application Data

--

> Thank's Dave
> I just removed the Ubisoft folder and now I don't have all those lingering
> files. I was wondering if the appData file is new to Vista because I
> didn't
> have this with XP?
>
> Thank you again
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> It should be safe to delete the Ubisoft folder. You may have to change
>> permissions on it first, though.
>> Do not delete \AppData or \Local.
>>
>> Some programs do not clean up after themselves upon uninstall, or they
>> leave
>> settings or data files which can be reused if you decide to reinstall the
>> program.
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>

>> "Kaje" <Kaje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I recently installed a game on Vista Home Premium and after
>> > uninstalling
>> > it I
>> > noticed that there was alot of files for the game left in the appdata
>> > local
>> > folder. I found the folder and it was labeled Ubisoft ( maker of game )
>> > and I
>> > was wondering can I delete this folder? also why are things being left
>> > in
>> > this folder and can I stop that in the future ?
>> > Thank you for help

Kaje

Re: Deleting AppData
Thank's again Dave

"Dave" wrote:

> Yes, it's new to Vista. \AppData is the equivalent of XP's Application Data
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "Kaje" <Kaje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank's Dave
> > I just removed the Ubisoft folder and now I don't have all those lingering
> > files. I was wondering if the appData file is new to Vista because I
> > didn't
> > have this with XP?
> >
> > Thank you again
> >

> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> It should be safe to delete the Ubisoft folder. You may have to change
> >> permissions on it first, though.
> >> Do not delete \AppData or \Local.
> >>
> >> Some programs do not clean up after themselves upon uninstall, or they
> >> leave
> >> settings or data files which can be reused if you decide to reinstall the
> >> program.
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Bonnenuit

Re: Deleting AppData

I give my thanks, too -- earlier today I was running a virus scan, and
unlike usual, was actually around the house. I was shocked when the scan
went into it's 5th hour! i also noticed that it had been in the same
folder for well over a million files. . . the AppData temp folder. So of
course I go to check out the folder, and can't find it. So I show all
hidden and check it out. It had amassed well over 120 GB in almost 2
million "temp" files that it hadn't gotten rid of last time I did a
system-wide cleanup (which just so happened to have been within the
week, so obviously this folder was untouchable to Vista defaults.)

120 GB. In temp files, just taking up space. The whole reason I was
doing system cleanup was because I couldn't figure out how a 250 gig
drive I use exclusively for the OS and a handful (read: 4 or 5) of games
was over half full.

Fortunately, I've removed everything, and am running fine again -- my
question is this, though. . . how could I set it up to purge these files
automatically? I understand leaving a few files around here and there,
but almost 2 million of them, taking up 120 gigs? That's just absurd!!

Thanks to those who replied to the original poster here, and thanks
again, in advance, to any who reply with helpful tips to this. It is
appreciated!

-JT

--
Bonnenuit
Steve McGarrett

Re: Deleting AppData
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:52:36 -0500, Bonnenuit
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Fortunately, I've removed everything, and am running fine again -- my
>question is this, though. . . how could I set it up to purge these files
>automatically? I understand leaving a few files around here and there,
>but almost 2 million of them, taking up 120 gigs? That's just absurd!!

It's only absurd if you think your computer is supposed to be
self-maintaining and that it is supposed to do everything for you.

Doing an occasional disk cleanup is only one of several tasks a
competent computer user should accomplish.