Vista upgrade lost documents

jfn25

Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi hopefully someone can help me I have just upgraded from vista home basic
to vista home premium I did the upgrade not clean install and the drive as
far as I know was not formatted, all of my programs have remained but i have
lost all of my documents folder although if I do a general search it finds
them but tells me that they are on a drive or network no longer available and
the file size as zero l have some of the files backed up but not all
including an accounts data file which i need is there a way that I can revert
back to vista home basic to revcover my lost files

many thanks

R. C. White

Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi, jfn.

Have you looked in C:\Users\<username>\Documents? Have you given yourself
permission to see files in that User folder?

There's always the "brute force" method when all else fails. Open an
Administrator:Command Prompt window: Start, type "cmd", then right-click on
"cmd.exe" at the top of the list and choose Run as Administrator. (You'll
need the Administrator credentials to get past this point, of course.) In
the DOS-like window that opens, use the simple-but-powerful commands that we
used over 20 years ago, before Windows. Type any command followed by /? to
see a mini-Help file showing the parameters and switches available with that
command.

To search ALL of Drive C: for ALL files, even Hidden and System files, type
at the Command Prompt:
dir c:\ /s/a

The "dir" produces the listing; "c:\" says to start at the Root (\) of Drive
C:; "/s" says to search all subfolders; and "/a" says to show all files, no
matter what Attributes may be set.

To narrow your search, use names of files that you've "lost", in a likely
folder, perhaps with wildcards:
dir c:\accounts\data*.* /s/a

If any filenames starting with "data" exists in the "accounts" folder or a
subfolder under "accounts", this command should list them for you.

Please post back and tell us, step by step, what you tried and what results
you saw. "Tried it" doesn't tell us much, and neither does "Didn't work".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jfn25" <u41794@uwe> wrote in message news:809213059baf9@uwe...
> Hi hopefully someone can help me I have just upgraded from vista home
> basic
> to vista home premium I did the upgrade not clean install and the drive as
> far as I know was not formatted, all of my programs have remained but i
> have
> lost all of my documents folder although if I do a general search it finds
> them but tells me that they are on a drive or network no longer available
> and
> the file size as zero l have some of the files backed up but not all
> including an accounts data file which i need is there a way that I can
> revert
> back to vista home basic to revcover my lost files
>
> many thanks

jfn25 via WindowsKB.com

Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi RC

I tried the C:\Users\<username>\Documents it shows two profiles clive(new one)
and clive's (old one) but it shows no documents in either profile.

I have tried searching in DOS but am unable to find any of my old files that
I need it would appear that the my documents folder for both the old and new
profiles were recreated at the same time yesterday morning I can find some of
the files but not the files that I need if I do a search within vista using
clive as the searchh parameter it finds the folders but if I try to open them
I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailble, is it
possible to reverse the vista upgrade ?

many thanks for your assitance

clive
R. C. White wrote:
>Hi, jfn.
>
>Have you looked in C:\Users\<username>\Documents? Have you given yourself
>permission to see files in that User folder?
>
>There's always the "brute force" method when all else fails. Open an
>Administrator:Command Prompt window: Start, type "cmd", then right-click on
>"cmd.exe" at the top of the list and choose Run as Administrator. (You'll
>need the Administrator credentials to get past this point, of course.) In
>the DOS-like window that opens, use the simple-but-powerful commands that we
>used over 20 years ago, before Windows. Type any command followed by /? to
>see a mini-Help file showing the parameters and switches available with that
>command.
>
>To search ALL of Drive C: for ALL files, even Hidden and System files, type
>at the Command Prompt:
>dir c:\ /s/a
>
>The "dir" produces the listing; "c:\" says to start at the Root (\) of Drive
>C:; "/s" says to search all subfolders; and "/a" says to show all files, no
>matter what Attributes may be set.
>
>To narrow your search, use names of files that you've "lost", in a likely
>folder, perhaps with wildcards:
>dir c:\accounts\data*.* /s/a
>
>If any filenames starting with "data" exists in the "accounts" folder or a
>subfolder under "accounts", this command should list them for you.
>
>Please post back and tell us, step by step, what you tried and what results
>you saw. "Tried it" doesn't tell us much, and neither does "Didn't work".
>
>RC
>> Hi hopefully someone can help me I have just upgraded from vista home
>> basic

>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>
>> many thanks

R. C. White

Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi, Clive.

> it finds the folders but if I try to open them
> I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailble

Well, we've probably reached the limit of my ability to help with this
problem. As just one guy with one computer and no net but the Internet, I
never had to worry about Users and Permissions and such until Vista - and I
still don't know much about them. About all I can do is ask again what I
asked before:

>>Have you given yourself
>>permission to see files in that User folder?

Maybe someone else can jump in here. Or maybe you can post a new question
with a new Subject asking about how to get permission to see files in those
two User profiles.

One other thought: The "upgrade" process has never worked for me in Vista,
but others have reported that it creates a Windows.old folder holding files
from the former operating system. Do you have such a folder anywhere on
your hard drive?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jfn25 via WindowsKB.com" <u41794@uwe> wrote in message
> Hi RC
>
> I tried the C:\Users\<username>\Documents it shows two profiles clive(new
> one)
> and clive's (old one) but it shows no documents in either profile.
>
> I have tried searching in DOS but am unable to find any of my old files
> that
> I need it would appear that the my documents folder for both the old and
> new
> profiles were recreated at the same time yesterday morning I can find some
> of
> the files but not the files that I need if I do a search within vista
> using
> clive as the searchh parameter it finds the folders but if I try to open
> them
> I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailble, is it
> possible to reverse the vista upgrade ?
>
> many thanks for your assitance
>
> clive
> R. C. White wrote:
>>Hi, jfn.
>>
>>Have you looked in C:\Users\<username>\Documents? Have you given yourself
>>permission to see files in that User folder?
>>
>>There's always the "brute force" method when all else fails. Open an
>>Administrator:Command Prompt window: Start, type "cmd", then right-click
>>on
>>"cmd.exe" at the top of the list and choose Run as Administrator. (You'll
>>need the Administrator credentials to get past this point, of course.) In
>>the DOS-like window that opens, use the simple-but-powerful commands that
>>we
>>used over 20 years ago, before Windows. Type any command followed by /?
>>see a mini-Help file showing the parameters and switches available with
>>that
>>command.
>>
>>To search ALL of Drive C: for ALL files, even Hidden and System files,
>>type
>>at the Command Prompt:
>>dir c:\ /s/a
>>
>>The "dir" produces the listing; "c:\" says to start at the Root (\) of
>>Drive
>>C:; "/s" says to search all subfolders; and "/a" says to show all files,
>>no
>>matter what Attributes may be set.
>>
>>To narrow your search, use names of files that you've "lost", in a likely
>>folder, perhaps with wildcards:
>>dir c:\accounts\data*.* /s/a
>>
>>If any filenames starting with "data" exists in the "accounts" folder or a
>>subfolder under "accounts", this command should list them for you.
>>
>>Please post back and tell us, step by step, what you tried and what
>>results
>>you saw. "Tried it" doesn't tell us much, and neither does "Didn't work".
>>
>>RC
>>> Hi hopefully someone can help me I have just upgraded from vista home
>>> basic

>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>
>>> many thanks

jfn25 via WindowsKB.com

Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi RC

Yes I set all the permissions corectly but it still would not let me see the
contents,

However I downloaded a copy of WinUndelete last night and it found all of my
missing files and has restored most of them, I tried several of the restore
software programs but this was the only one which found all of the files.

I am now restoring the files to there correct locations and have learned a
valued lesson on the need to back up impoertant files

all the best and thanks for your assistance with this

regards

Clive

R. C. White wrote:
>Hi, Clive.
>
>> it finds the folders but if I try to open them
>> I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailble

>Well, we've probably reached the limit of my ability to help with this
>problem. As just one guy with one computer and no net but the Internet, I
>never had to worry about Users and Permissions and such until Vista - and I
>still don't know much about them. About all I can do is ask again what I
>asked before:
>
>>>Have you given yourself
>>>permission to see files in that User folder?

>Maybe someone else can jump in here. Or maybe you can post a new question
>with a new Subject asking about how to get permission to see files in those
>two User profiles.
>
>One other thought: The "upgrade" process has never worked for me in Vista,
>but others have reported that it creates a Windows.old folder holding files
>from the former operating system. Do you have such a folder anywhere on
>your hard drive?
>
>RC
>> Hi RC
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 64 lines]

R. C. White

Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hi, Clive.

Congratulations! ;<)

I know the feeling. A couple of years ago, I lost two hard drives at the
same time; one died, the other was dying. Maxtor RMAed them both, so there
was no dollar loss, but there were hundreds of photo files among the 80 GB
or so on the drives. After a couple of weeks of trying everything I could
think of, R-Studio (from www.r-tt.com) was able to rescue almost all of
them.

Thanks for the report back. WinUndelete you say? I'll try to remember that
one.

RC
--

> Hi RC
>
> Yes I set all the permissions corectly but it still would not let me see
> the
> contents,
>
> However I downloaded a copy of WinUndelete last night and it found all of
> my
> missing files and has restored most of them, I tried several of the
> restore
> software programs but this was the only one which found all of the files.
>
> I am now restoring the files to there correct locations and have learned a
> valued lesson on the need to back up impoertant files
>
> all the best and thanks for your assistance with this
>
> regards
>
> Clive
>
> R. C. White wrote:
>>Hi, Clive.
>>
>>> it finds the folders but if I try to open them
>>> I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailble

>>Well, we've probably reached the limit of my ability to help with this
>>problem. As just one guy with one computer and no net but the Internet, I
>>never had to worry about Users and Permissions and such until Vista - and
>>still don't know much about them. About all I can do is ask again what I
>>asked before:

>>Maybe someone else can jump in here. Or maybe you can post a new question
>>with a new Subject asking about how to get permission to see files in
>>those
>>two User profiles.
>>
>>One other thought: The "upgrade" process has never worked for me in
>>Vista,
>>but others have reported that it creates a Windows.old folder holding
>>files
>>from the former operating system. Do you have such a folder anywhere on
>>your hard drive?
>>
>>RC
>>> Hi RC
>>>

>>[quoted text clipped - 64 lines]

MickleD887 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista upgrade lost documents
Hello there. I managed to lose all my files in my Public folder after doing a Vista Upgrade!!

I thought i had lost everything but then knotices that Vista diuring the Upgrade temporarily backs up all the data in the public folder to a Hidden Directory called ::

c:\$inplace.~tr

The name may be diffrent on diffrent PC's but the concept is the same. I basicly copied all my files back to the public folder and presto all was ok.

Remeber though that this file will be deleted if any cleaning software is used such as temp cleaners etc.

Hope this helps

MickleD