how to delete a folder with no name??

subratalok is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to delete a folder with no name??
i created a folder with no name by renaming a folder to(alt + 0160)

but after that i m not able to delete , move or rename that folder......

plzz. suggest how can i delete it?????????

i can open the folder and also others items can be moved or copied into that folder....

but this no name folder cannot be deleted!!!!!!!!
.Joe

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??

Try and right click the folder and click take ownership of the folder,
then try and delete it.

--
.Joe

.Joe™
'[image: http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/323179.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179)
Bob

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
What doesn't work?

When following up to a previous post, you don't need to include everything.
Snip out what's not relevant. But do include what is relevant. Some people
may have missed the original post.

Try this:
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

==========================
Got Vista problems or questions?
Start here.
==========================
http://www.vistax64.com/search.php
"subratalok" <subratalok.35nhci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:subratalok.35nhci@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> that doesn't work...
>

> --
> subratalok

R. C. White

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
Hi, subratalok.

That file has a name, even if you can't see it. Open a Command Prompt
window (cmd.exe). At the prompt, type:
dir /x

That should show you all the files and folders in that directory. The one
that you named (alt + 0160) should appear with no name in the normal list of
files, but the column before that should show it as "0A00~1". That is the
Short File Name, also known as the SFN or the 8.3 filename. Now use RD to
remove that:
rd 0a00~1

By the way, you posted this via VistaHeads.com, which "slurps" messages from
the Microsoft public news server and relays them - and any responses - back
and forth. This relay often results in messages that are delayed or out of
sequence or simply lost. To "cut out the middleman", click here:

That one click should fire up your default newsreader (OE or WM or WLM or
third-party reader); create a News Account on the MS public server, which is
free and does not require you to logon; subscribe you to THIS newsgroup;
download the 300 newest posts; and display the latest message for you to
read. In other words, you will come right back here, but you will be
viewing these messages directly, rather than through VistaHeads' filter.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"subratalok" <subratalok.35n0oi@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:subratalok.35n0oi@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> i created a folder with no name by renaming a folder to(alt + 0160)
>
> but after that i m not able to delete , move or rename that
> folder......
>
> plzz. suggest how can i delete it?????????
>
> i can open the folder and also others items can be moved or copied into
> that folder....
>
> but this no name folder cannot be deleted!!!!!!!!
>

> --
> subratalok

subratalok is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANX MAN.......

your method worked , but that folder get deleted after renaming it by your method....(i.e, after dir/x . ........ ren 0A00~1 ...)
R. C. White

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
Hi, subratalok.

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

But you did not rename that folder to 0A00~1. It had that name all the
time.

RAM and disk space are so cheap now that we forget that it was precious not
so long ago. When floppy disks held only 67.5 KB, MS-DOS reserved only 8
bytes for the filename, plus 3 for an extension to indicate the type of
file. Only UPPERCASE alphabetic characters were allowed, plus numerals and
a few special characters, such as punctuation. The punctuation was limited,
too; we could use the period only to separate the extension (if any) from
the filename, not as a character in the filename, and spaces were not
allowed. These rules may seem archaic and arbitrary now, but they were
required then to deal with the hardware of the time.

My memory is hazy on this (There are plenty of folks here who can correct
me!), but I think it was not until MS-DOS 6.x that Long File Names (LFN)
were allowed. The file systems (FAT and NTFS) still created and used the
8.3 SFN; they just showed the LFN for use by us humans. And, basically,
they still do.

So, Dir /x shows us the SFN for any file or folder that has an LFN. "Long"
is a slight misnomer, because even a one-character filename is an LFN if it
is not a valid SFN - such as your invisible Alt+0160 (no-break space)
character. So the system creates the SFN immediately for its own use but
does not show it to us unless we ask for it with the /x switch for Dir.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"subratalok" <subratalok.35r6oe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:subratalok.35r6oe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> THANX MAN.......
>
> your method worked , but that folder get deleted after renaming it by
> your method....(i.e, after dir/x . ........ ren 0A00~1 ...)
>

> --
> subratalok

hs

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
Hi R.C. White,

currently i have the same problem. but my com is running on vista and when i
try your method in command prompt, the display name for the folder is still
blank.. i cannot delete that..

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, subratalok.
>
> That file has a name, even if you can't see it. Open a Command Prompt
> window (cmd.exe). At the prompt, type:
> dir /x
>
> That should show you all the files and folders in that directory. The one
> that you named (alt + 0160) should appear with no name in the normal list of
> files, but the column before that should show it as "0A00~1". That is the
> Short File Name, also known as the SFN or the 8.3 filename. Now use RD to
> remove that:
> rd 0a00~1

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "subratalok" <subratalok.35n0oi@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:subratalok.35n0oi@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> >
> > i created a folder with no name by renaming a folder to(alt + 0160)
> >
> > but after that i m not able to delete , move or rename that
> > folder......
> >
> > plzz. suggest how can i delete it?????????
> >
> > i can open the folder and also others items can be moved or copied into
> > that folder....
> >
> > but this no name folder cannot be deleted!!!!!!!!
> >

> > --
> > subratalok

hs

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
Hi,

i had followed all your steps and manage to see the 0A00~1 name for the
folder with no name... however with i tried to rd 0A00~1, it says access
denied.. could you kindly advise me what is the next time that i should do as
i had already tried taking ownership of the folder but access is still
denied... thank you
R. C. White

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??
Hi, Orhunt.

HOW are you trying to delete that folder?

In a Command Prompt window, Win7 refused to create a folder by that name,
either with the "md" command or with the "ren" command. So I opened Windows
Explorer and created a new folder named "0160" and then renamed the folder
to <Alt>+0160. The name appeared blank, but WE had no problems with
deleting it. I recreated/renamed a new folder to <Alt>+0160. In the CP
window, it appeared as a folder with a blank name and I could neither "del"
nor "rd" it using the alt+ 0160 name.

So I used the Dir command with the /x switch to reveal the SFN (Short File
Name) in a column before the LFN. The SFN was 9DEC~1, and I easily deleted
that with "rd 9dec~1".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Orhunt" <Orhunt.3sjlg3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> subratalok;708849 Wrote:
>> i created a folder with no name by renaming a folder to(alt + 0160)
>>
>> but after that i m not able to delete , move or rename that
>> folder......
>>
>> plzz. suggest how can i delete it?????????
>>
>> i can open the folder and also others items can be moved or copied into
>> that folder....
>>
>> but this no name folder cannot be deleted!!!!!!!!

> Hello Friends
>
> I try to delete and folder deleted (alt + 0160) (alt + 255)
>
> Ans Folder deleted by winrar software right click on folder and add to
> archive and click the option delete files after archiving Thanks
>
> Visit my website '.::Orhunt.Com::.' (http://www.orhunt.com)
>

> --
> Orhunt

donbaba

Re: how to delete a folder with no name??

use the Software name unlocker to delete that folder.
Install the unlocker software and then right click on the folder you
will find an unlocker icon on right click. click on it. it will ask for
an action . just give the action delete and the folder will be deleted.

--
donbaba