Lost Encryption key

Paul

Lost Encryption key
I reinstalled Vista and wiped my encryption key......yeah I know, a complete
idiot.
A few questions. First, I did have an image backup that I'm not using but
kept as security. It's on the backup but I have no idea where it might be
or what to ever search for. Where is it normally save.......my documents?
Second, if I can't get it from my image backup, is there any way to override
it? What I have is encrypted are some passwords for a few bank accounts.
Most I remember but some that I never use I may need in the future.
This has taught me a serious lesson!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Lost Encryption key
Paul

Your 'serious lesson' isn't over yet. <g>

The only way you can retrieve the encryption key is to be logged onto the
encrypted system with the account that encrypted the drive.

This software is designed to recover EFS encrypted files.

Password recovery, forensics, system and security software from Elcomsoft
Co.Ltd. - Advanced EFS Data Recovery:
http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>I reinstalled Vista and wiped my encryption key......yeah I know, a
>complete
> idiot.
> A few questions. First, I did have an image backup that I'm not using but
> kept as security. It's on the backup but I have no idea where it might be
> or what to ever search for. Where is it normally save.......my documents?
> Second, if I can't get it from my image backup, is there any way to
> override
> it? What I have is encrypted are some passwords for a few bank accounts.
> Most I remember but some that I never use I may need in the future.
> This has taught me a serious lesson!

Paul

Re: Lost Encryption key
Thanks Ronnie. It's not the end of the world. I can manage. If it were
truly earth shattering, I'd a put it in several locations. I know I had it
on a USB drive but that one bit the dust.
I will live. Thanks for your info.

Paul