file compression in vista

petpathways

file compression in vista
up until this week when i downloaded files were large, windows automatically
compressed them, placing them in a folder with a zipper on it. all of a
sudden it does not do that anymore.
that part of vista is not working. my computer is a month old. i understand
that this automatic compression is intrinsic to the vista system and may not
have a file extension.
how can i repair vista to get this feature back.
andrea
Brink

Re: file compression in vista

petpathways;629957 Wrote:
> up until this week when i downloaded files were large, windows
> automatically
> compressed them, placing them in a folder with a zipper on it. all of a
> sudden it does not do that anymore.
> that part of vista is not working. my computer is a month old. i
> understand
> that this automatic compression is intrinsic to the vista system and
> may not
> have a file extension.
> how can i repair vista to get this feature back.
> andrea

Hi Andrea,

I never heard of Vista automatically placing files in a ZIP or
Compressed folder, but this will show you how to restore the built-in
ZIP feature of Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65...ile-vista.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
petpathways

Re: file compression in vista
thanks for this easy solution. can you explain to me how this happened. also
is there a way to get the start menu to look a little bit more normal. it is
much too cumbersome getting to the run fuction etc.
andrea

"Brink" wrote:

> petpathways;629957 Wrote:
> > up until this week when i downloaded files were large, windows
> > automatically
> > compressed them, placing them in a folder with a zipper on it. all of a
> > sudden it does not do that anymore.
> > that part of vista is not working. my computer is a month old. i
> > understand
> > that this automatic compression is intrinsic to the vista system and
> > may not
> > have a file extension.
> > how can i repair vista to get this feature back.
> > andrea

> Hi Andrea,
>
> I never heard of Vista automatically placing files in a ZIP or
> Compressed folder, but this will show you how to restore the built-in
> ZIP feature of Vista.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65...ile-vista.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista x64 Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

GTS

Re: file compression in vista
No version of Windows has ever automatically zipped downloaded files. If
you were seeing this it must have involved a third party program or browser
add-on.
--

"petpathways" <petpathways@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> up until this week when i downloaded files were large, windows
> automatically
> compressed them, placing them in a folder with a zipper on it. all of a
> sudden it does not do that anymore.
> that part of vista is not working. my computer is a month old. i
> understand
> that this automatic compression is intrinsic to the vista system and may
> not
> have a file extension.
> how can i repair vista to get this feature back.
> andrea

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: file compression in vista
Petpathways

You can select to show the 'Run' command on the Start Menu. Right click the
Start Button and select Properties/Customize Button. One of the options
there is 'Run Command', place a check mark in this option Apply/OK. You can
also simply press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run Command box.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP