XP Style slow search?

KilroySmith is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XP Style slow search?
OK, I must be missing something obvious...

How do I do an XP style search? You remember, right-click a folder, click "Search", and have Vista search the selected folder? I've been unable to find this primitive operation.

I'm willing to give up search control to Vista for local drives, but indexing our entire network, and each and every USB stick/USB Hard drive seems, well, silly for the once or twice a month I need to search in those locations. I'm willing to wait the thirty seconds it takes to search, because I can normally limit the size of the search ("Let me look through the code tree for December", for example).

Any help, or is this capability gone?
Bob

Re: XP Style slow search?
The same way you did it in XP.

"KilroySmith" <KilroySmith.35k34g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KilroySmith.35k34g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> OK, I must be missing something obvious...
>
> How do I do an XP style search? You remember, right-click a folder,
> click "Search", and have Vista search the selected folder? I've been
> unable to find this primitive operation.
>
> I'm willing to give up search control to Vista for local drives, but
> indexing our entire network, and each and every USB stick/USB Hard drive
> seems, well, silly for the once or twice a month I need to search in
> those locations. I'm willing to wait the thirty seconds it takes to
> search, because I can normally limit the size of the search ("Let me
> look through the code tree for December", for example).
>
> Any help, or is this capability gone?
>

> --
> KilroySmith

KilroySmith is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Except that there is no "Search" item on the right-click menu for a folder or file. That's how I did it on XP; how do I do it on Vista?
Bob

Re: XP Style slow search?

"KilroySmith" <KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Except that there is no "Search" item on the right-click menu for a
> folder or file. That's how I did it on XP; how do I do it on Vista?

There is on mine.

When posting, please quote relevant information so that others may learn and
benefit from the issue.

Dave

Re: XP Style slow search?
I have a Search.. item when I right-click on a folder, not on a file.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"KilroySmith" <KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Except that there is no "Search" item on the right-click menu for a
> folder or file. That's how I did it on XP; how do I do it on Vista?
>

> --
> KilroySmith

Bob

Re: XP Style slow search?
Same here, just like XP.

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
>I have a Search.. item when I right-click on a folder, not on a file.
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "KilroySmith" <KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:KilroySmith.35k8oh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>>
>> Except that there is no "Search" item on the right-click menu for a
>> folder or file. That's how I did it on XP; how do I do it on Vista?
>>

>> --
>> KilroySmith

KilroySmith is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the missing information; I'm new to Vista, so figured it was a longstanding issue. Turns out, it's a new one for SP1.

My machine: A clean install of Vista x86 SP1 on a Lenovo T60 laptop.

I thought of a different query to google, and finally found the answer:
Keith Combs' Blahg : Windows Vista SP1 - the case of the missing Search item
or
How to Add Missing Search in Folders Context Menu in Windows Vista with SP1? - Tweaking with Vishal

Yes, the Search context menu item is gone in SP1. Yes, there is a simple registry fix to bring it back.

Thanks for looking in and trying to help, and I hope this is helpful for someone else down the road.
Bob

Re: XP Style slow search?
Thanks, that's good to know.

"KilroySmith" <KilroySmith.35kjsg@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:KilroySmith.35kjsg@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Sorry for the missing information; I'm new to Vista, so figured it was a
> longstanding issue. Turns out, it's a new one for SP1.
>
> My machine: A clean install of Vista x86 SP1 on a Lenovo T60 laptop.
>
> I thought of a different query to google, and finally found the
> answer:
> 'Keith Combs' Blahg : Windows Vista SP1 - the case of the missing
> Search item' (http://tinyurl.com/ynur9d)
> or
> 'How to Add Missing Search in Folders Context Menu in Windows Vista
> with SP1? - Tweaking with Vishal' (http://tinyurl.com/252mbt)
>
> Yes, the Search context menu item is gone in SP1. Yes, there is a
> simple registry fix to bring it back.
>
> Thanks for looking in and trying to help, and I hope this is helpful
> for someone else down the road.
>

> --
> KilroySmith

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: XP Style slow search?
KilroySmith wrote:
> Sorry for the missing information; I'm new to Vista, so figured it was a
> longstanding issue. Turns out, it's a new one for SP1.
>
> My machine: A clean install of Vista x86 SP1 on a Lenovo T60 laptop.
>
> I thought of a different query to google, and finally found the
> answer:
> 'Keith Combs' Blahg : Windows Vista SP1 - the case of the missing
> Search item' (http://tinyurl.com/ynur9d)
> or
> 'How to Add Missing Search in Folders Context Menu in Windows Vista
> with SP1? - Tweaking with Vishal' (http://tinyurl.com/252mbt)
>
> Yes, the Search context menu item is gone in SP1. Yes, there is a
> simple registry fix to bring it back.
>
> Thanks for looking in and trying to help, and I hope this is helpful
> for someone else down the road.

The problem is in SP1. MS took away the "Search" function due to
complaints that it was forcing people to use the MS search program.

To Restore it (on the context menu):
------------------------------------
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.
3. Click the Continue button for the UAC prompt.
4. In regedit, go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\find
5. In the right pane, right click on LegacyDisable and click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm deletion.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
WaruiKoohii

Re: XP Style slow search?
For reference purposes, if you open the folder/drive, there is a search box
in the upper left corner that does the same thing.

You will need to tweak some advanced settings (they'll show up as Vista
starts searching. You'll need to expand it. It'll be at the top of the
window.) to search unindexed locations.