Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell me H

mch42

Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell me H
I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit Ultimate.
The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup set
which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a new
full backup with this message in the system tray:

"It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."

Now, when I click that message, it just opens the regular Backup
application... but there's no visible "Create new full backup now" option
anywhere?! So how on earth am I supposed to accomplish what Vista is
prompting me to do?
Tony Linguini

Re: Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell me H
Did you install SP1? I got an "aborted" error and had to go into settings to
get a new full backup AFTER SP1. My old DVD was nowhere near full.
"mch42" <mch42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit
> Ultimate.
> The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup set
> which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a
> new
> full backup with this message in the system tray:
>
> "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."
>
> Now, when I click that message, it just opens the regular Backup
> application... but there's no visible "Create new full backup now" option
> anywhere?! So how on earth am I supposed to accomplish what Vista is
> prompting me to do?

Gary Mount

Re: Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell me H
Click on "Change settings".
You will have the option to adjust your current backup settings or start a
new, full backup.

"mch42" <mch42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit
> Ultimate.
> The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup set
> which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a
> new
> full backup with this message in the system tray:
>
> "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."
>
> Now, when I click that message, it just opens the regular Backup
> application... but there's no visible "Create new full backup now" option
> anywhere?! So how on earth am I supposed to accomplish what Vista is
> prompting me to do?

Brink

mch42;628240 Wrote:
> I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit
> Ultimate.
> The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup
> set
> which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do
> a new
> full backup with this message in the system tray:
>
> "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."
>
> Now, when I click that message, it just opens the regular Backup
> application... but there's no visible "Create new full backup now"
> option
> anywhere?! So how on earth am I supposed to accomplish what Vista is
> prompting me to do?

Hi mch42,

If there is no option there, then you can just create a Complete PC
Backup normally instead. This will show you how if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
mch42

Re: Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell
So far this is the only solution I've come across, i.e. you have to go
through the Change Settings wizard in order to make a new full backup. Not
very intuitive to the end user, really, but at least it works..

-mch42

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> Click on "Change settings".
> You will have the option to adjust your current backup settings or start a
> new, full backup.
>
> "mch42" <mch42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit
> > Ultimate.
> > The backup tool has been appending incrementals to the initial backup set
> > which was created half a year ago. Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a
> > new
> > full backup with this message in the system tray:
> >
> > "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."
> >
> > Now, when I click that message, it just opens the regular Backup
> > application... but there's no visible "Create new full backup now" option
> > anywhere?! So how on earth am I supposed to accomplish what Vista is
> > prompting me to do?

mch42

Re: Vista says it's time to run a full backup -- but doesn't tell
> > I've been using File Backup daily for half a year on Vista 64-bit
> > [..] Now (finally) Vista prompts me to do a new
> > full backup with this message in the system tray:
> >
> > "It's time to run a full backup. Click to start a new full backup."

> If there is no option there, then you can just create a Complete PC
> Backup normally instead. This will show you how if needed.

Nope, the Complete PC Backup is completely different from the File Backup,
so creating a new Complete PC Backup is *not* the same thing as doing a new
full File Backup, and it does *not* cause a new file set to be created on
your file backup storage.

Seems like the only way to get a new file set / full backup is do what Gary
Mount suggested above, i.e go to Change Settings, go through the file backup
wizard, and in the end check the "create full" checkbox..

-mch42