File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List

Mike Brock

File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
When I open a folder with a list of files for all View Options, the files are
not listed in proper ascending sequence. I indexed the files to make sure
that indexing may not be the factor in the Sort By Name not working properly.
After the files were indexed, clicked the Sort By Name item in the View menu
item, and the files are stilled not sorted porperly. Has anyone encountered
this similar problem ?? I suspect this may be a bug in Windows Vista File
System. The folder had 87 files in it.
--
Thank U. God bless U...Mike

Dave

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
I've seen no problems with sorting by Name.
Can you give some examples of the file names?

Indexing has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA47E373-3CED-42CF-BDF2-8E4B9AD17DFD@microsoft.com...
> When I open a folder with a list of files for all View Options, the files
> are
> not listed in proper ascending sequence. I indexed the files to make sure
> that indexing may not be the factor in the Sort By Name not working
> properly.
> After the files were indexed, clicked the Sort By Name item in the View
> menu
> item, and the files are stilled not sorted porperly. Has anyone
> encountered
> this similar problem ?? I suspect this may be a bug in Windows Vista File
> System. The folder had 87 files in it.
> --
> Thank U. God bless U...Mike

Mike Brock

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
Dave or any one else

Here is the problem with the sorting of file names:

1. If the file name is alaphabetic only, the sort works OK.

2. If the file name is alaphanumeric with a-z A-Z and 0-9
characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:

a. Name Length
b. Name Content

instead by Name Content only.

3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the following
order of the form:

Actual Order Correct Order
----------------------------------
A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
B - 1 byte B - 1 byte

Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above names to
see
if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me know.
The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.

--
Thank U. God bless U...Mike

"Dave" wrote:

> I've seen no problems with sorting by Name.
> Can you give some examples of the file names?
>
> Indexing has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.
>

> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA47E373-3CED-42CF-BDF2-8E4B9AD17DFD@microsoft.com...
> > When I open a folder with a list of files for all View Options, the files
> > are
> > not listed in proper ascending sequence. I indexed the files to make sure
> > that indexing may not be the factor in the Sort By Name not working
> > properly.
> > After the files were indexed, clicked the Sort By Name item in the View
> > menu
> > item, and the files are stilled not sorted porperly. Has anyone
> > encountered
> > this similar problem ?? I suspect this may be a bug in Windows Vista File
> > System. The folder had 87 files in it.
> > --
> > Thank U. God bless U...Mike

Dave

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
Mike,

I tried your example, and it works like you said. I don't know if this is
"right" or "wrong".
However, I imagine that it "works as designed", since 2 comes before 11.
As someone noted in another thread, Vista treats the filenames by sorting
the alphabetic & numeric characters separately.
If you rename A2 to AA2, it will move below A11

"Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news5208C41-78C6-4C15-8CBE-41FFEC97D9E8@microsoft.com...
> Dave or any one else
>
> Here is the problem with the sorting of file names:
>
> 1. If the file name is alaphabetic only, the sort works OK.
>
> 2. If the file name is alaphanumeric with a-z A-Z and 0-9
> characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:
>
> a. Name Length
> b. Name Content
>
> instead by Name Content only.
>
> 3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the
> following
> order of the form:
>
> Actual Order Correct Order
> ----------------------------------
> A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
> A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
> A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
> A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
> B - 1 byte B - 1 byte
>
> Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above names
> see
> if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me
> know.
> The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.
>
> --
> Thank U. God bless U...Mike
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> I've seen no problems with sorting by Name.
>> Can you give some examples of the file names?
>>
>> Indexing has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>

>> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsA47E373-3CED-42CF-BDF2-8E4B9AD17DFD@microsoft.com...
>> > When I open a folder with a list of files for all View Options, the
>> > files
>> > are
>> > not listed in proper ascending sequence. I indexed the files to make
>> > sure
>> > that indexing may not be the factor in the Sort By Name not working
>> > properly.
>> > After the files were indexed, clicked the Sort By Name item in the View
>> > menu
>> > item, and the files are stilled not sorted porperly. Has anyone
>> > encountered
>> > this similar problem ?? I suspect this may be a bug in Windows Vista
>> > File
>> > System. The folder had 87 files in it.
>> > --
>> > Thank U. God bless U...Mike

R. C. White

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
Hi, Mike.

Have a look at this KB article:
The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
different in Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 than it is
in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news5208C41-78C6-4C15-8CBE-41FFEC97D9E8@microsoft.com...
> Dave or any one else
>
> Here is the problem with the sorting of file names:
>
> 1. If the file name is alaphabetic only, the sort works OK.
>
> 2. If the file name is alaphanumeric with a-z A-Z and 0-9
> characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:
>
> a. Name Length
> b. Name Content
>
> instead by Name Content only.
>
> 3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the
> following
> order of the form:
>
> Actual Order Correct Order
> ----------------------------------
> A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
> A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
> A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
> A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
> B - 1 byte B - 1 byte
>
> Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above names
> see
> if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me
> know.
> The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.
>
> --
> Thank U. God bless U...Mike
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> I've seen no problems with sorting by Name.
>> Can you give some examples of the file names?
>>
>> Indexing has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.
>>

>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>

>> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsA47E373-3CED-42CF-BDF2-8E4B9AD17DFD@microsoft.com...
>> > When I open a folder with a list of files for all View Options, the
>> > files
>> > are
>> > not listed in proper ascending sequence. I indexed the files to make
>> > sure
>> > that indexing may not be the factor in the Sort By Name not working
>> > properly.
>> > After the files were indexed, clicked the Sort By Name item in the View
>> > menu
>> > item, and the files are stilled not sorted porperly. Has anyone
>> > encountered
>> > this similar problem ?? I suspect this may be a bug in Windows Vista
>> > File
>> > System. The folder had 87 files in it.
>> > --
>> > Thank U. God bless U...Mike

Mike Brock

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
R C White:

OK, from http://Support.Microsoft.KB/319827 which documents how to make
Vista use
Windows 2K sort method for file names, I have another problem.

In the document, the registry keys to modify the sort method are:

1.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Policies\Explorer\NoStrCmpLogical
2.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Policies\Explorer\NoStrCmpLogical

In Windows Vista, the current key structures are:

1a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Explorer
<---- Same Level
1b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Policies
<---- Same Level

2a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Explorer
<---- Same Level
2b. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Policies
<---- Same Level

Note that in Vista, Explorer and Policies keys are in the SAME lavel which
differs in
structure as one described in the KB/319827 document. Need more clarification
on how to modify the Registry Keys for the file sort policies.

Can U guys help me on this matter ??

--
Thank U. God bless U...Mike

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Mike.
>
> Have a look at this KB article:
> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> different in Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 than it is
> in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news5208C41-78C6-4C15-8CBE-41FFEC97D9E8@microsoft.com...
> > Dave or any one else
> >
> > Here is the problem with the sorting of file names:
> >
> > 1. If the file name is alaphabetic only, the sort works OK.
> >
> > 2. If the file name is alaphanumeric with a-z A-Z and 0-9
> > characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:
> >
> > a. Name Length
> > b. Name Content
> >
> > instead by Name Content only.
> >
> > 3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the
> > following
> > order of the form:
> >
> > Actual Order Correct Order
> > ----------------------------------
> > A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
> > A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
> > A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
> > A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
> > B - 1 byte B - 1 byte
> >
> > Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above names
> > see
> > if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me
> > know.
> > The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.
> >
> > --
> > Thank U. God bless U...Mike
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen no problems with sorting by Name.
> >> Can you give some examples of the file names?
> >>
> >> Indexing has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> >>

> >> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsA47E373-3CED-42CF-BDF2-8E4B9AD17DFD@microsoft.com...

R. C. White

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
Hi, Mike.

Sorry, but I can't tell you how to modify the sort because I never tried to
do that. I just learned to live with the new method. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> [...]
>> > characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:
>> >
>> > a. Name Length
>> > b. Name Content
>> >
>> > instead by Name Content only.
>> >
>> > 3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the
>> > following
>> > order of the form:
>> >
>> > Actual Order Correct Order
>> > ----------------------------------
>> > A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
>> > A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
>> > A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
>> > A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
>> > B - 1 byte B - 1 byte
>> >
>> > Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above
>> > names
>> > see
>> > if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me
>> > know.
>> > The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
You need to create the 'Explorer' subkey under 'Policies' before you can
create your policy values. Right-click on the 'Policies' key, then select
New -> Key.

The entries under '...CurrentVersion\Explorer' are unrelated to your
endeavor.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

> [...]
>> > characters, the name is sorted in the following order by:
>> >
>> > a. Name Length
>> > b. Name Content
>> >
>> > instead by Name Content only.
>> >
>> > 3. For example, file names A, A1, A2, A11 and B are sorted in the
>> > following
>> > order of the form:
>> >
>> > Actual Order Correct Order
>> > ----------------------------------
>> > A - 1 byte A - 1 byte
>> > A1 - 2 byte A1 - 2 byte
>> > A2 - 2 byte A11 - 3 byte
>> > A11 - 3 byte A2 - 2 byte
>> > B - 1 byte B - 1 byte
>> >
>> > Could U or someone try create the above dummy files with the above
>> > names
>> > see
>> > if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem is duplicated, let me
>> > know.
>> > The problem needs to reported as a bug report to Microsoft.

Mike Brock

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List

Thank U!!! The fix WORKED. God bless U...Mike

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> You need to create the 'Explorer' subkey under 'Policies' before you can
> create your policy values. Right-click on the 'Policies' key, then select
> New -> Key.
>
> The entries under '...CurrentVersion\Explorer' are unrelated to your
> endeavor.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >R C White:
> >
> > OK, from http://Support.Microsoft.KB/319827 which documents how to make
> > Vista use
> > Windows 2K sort method for file names, I have another problem.
> >
> > In the document, the registry keys to modify the sort method are:
> >
> > 1.
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Policies\Explorer\NoStrCmpLogical
> > 2.
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Policies\Explorer\NoStrCmpLogical
> >
> > In Windows Vista, the current key structures are:
> >
> > 1a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Explorer
> > <---- Same Level
> > 1b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entversion\Policies
> > <---- Same Level
> >
> > 2a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Explorer
> > <---- Same Level
> > 2b. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntversion\Policies
> > <---- Same Level
> >
> > Note that in Vista, Explorer and Policies keys are in the SAME lavel which
> > differs in
> > structure as one described in the KB/319827 document. Need more
> > clarification
> > on how to modify the Registry Keys for the file sort policies.
> >
> > Can U guys help me on this matter ??
> >
> > --
> > Thank U. God bless U...Mike
> >

> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Mike.
> >>
> >> Have a look at this KB article:
> >> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> >> different in Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 than it
> >> is
> >> in Windows 2000
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827
> >>
> >> RC
> >> --
> >> R. C. White, CPA
> >> San Marcos, TX
> >> rc@grandecom.net
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
> >>
> >> "Mike Brock" <MikeBrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news5208C41-78C6-4C15-8CBE-41FFEC97D9E8@microsoft.com...

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: File Names Not Sorted Properly In File List
You're welcome. Glad to help.