recover/find a file

Eva

recover/find a file
okay here is my sad sad story. i e-mailed myself my essay and when i was
opening it, i was asked if i wanted to open or save. i clicked open. then i
finished my whole paper, and clicked the X button. then microsoft word asked
me if i wanted to save or cancel and automatically, without thinking, i just
clicked the save button. so somewhere in my computer...my essay has got to be
saved, right? i think i tried every search phrase and searched every folder
in my whole computer and i can not find it. when i went back to yahoo (my
email) and opened the file again, it said it was going to be saved in the
"temporary folder" but i cant find this folder either! can someone PLEASE
help me and tell me what to do? is it possible to find the paper that i
thought was being saved???
Bob

Re: recover/find a file
Well, you don't say specifically what you've done so it's difficult to offer
suggestions.
In Tools>Folder Options have you check marked "show hidden files and
folders" and unchecked "hide protected system operating files"? Have you
search for the file extension "doc"? Have you searched in C:\Windows\Temp?
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents? C:\Users\Eva\Documents?

"Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> okay here is my sad sad story. i e-mailed myself my essay and when i was
> opening it, i was asked if i wanted to open or save. i clicked open. then
> finished my whole paper, and clicked the X button. then microsoft word
> asked
> me if i wanted to save or cancel and automatically, without thinking, i
> just
> clicked the save button. so somewhere in my computer...my essay has got to
> be
> saved, right? i think i tried every search phrase and searched every
> folder
> in my whole computer and i can not find it. when i went back to yahoo (my
> email) and opened the file again, it said it was going to be saved in the
> "temporary folder" but i cant find this folder either! can someone PLEASE
> help me and tell me what to do? is it possible to find the paper that i
> thought was being saved???

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: recover/find a file
Hello,
You may want to post in a Microsoft Word newsgroup and ask them where the
default location that Word saves files as well as the default location
where it autorecover files to.
There should an Word Options menu item somewhere in Microsoft Word (
versions of Microsoft Word may locate the Work Options at different
locations) that lists the default save option locations.
For example in latest version of Word.
Autorecover is to this location
C:\Users\Darrellg\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\
Default file location is
C:\Users\Darrellg\Documents\
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?RXZh?= <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: recover/find a file
|> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:26:00 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|>
|> okay here is my sad sad story. i e-mailed myself my essay and when i was
|> opening it, i was asked if i wanted to open or save. i clicked open.
then i
|> finished my whole paper, and clicked the X button. then microsoft word
asked
|> me if i wanted to save or cancel and automatically, without thinking, i
just
|> clicked the save button. so somewhere in my computer...my essay has got
to be
|> saved, right? i think i tried every search phrase and searched every
folder
|> in my whole computer and i can not find it. when i went back to yahoo
(my
|> email) and opened the file again, it said it was going to be saved in
the
|> "temporary folder" but i cant find this folder either! can someone
PLEASE
|> help me and tell me what to do? is it possible to find the paper that i
|> thought was being saved???

Bob

Re: recover/find a file
Maybe the file can be found by opening a new Word doc and clicking File>Save
which would reveal the default location.