Changing a file's date

Dennis Snelgrove

Changing a file's date
Is there a way in Vista to change the datestamp on a file? I've got a
bunch of pictures of my 2 year-old daughter (yes, I'm an obnoxious
father of the worst kind ) and I'd like to change the date on some
of the photos. Apparently the original dates have somehow been changed
and I want to get them back to what they should be.

Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Dave

Re: Changing a file's date
Yes
Start - Help and Support
in the search box, enter "Change the date and time a picture was taken"
it will tell you how to do it in windows Photo Gallery

"Dennis Snelgrove" <snelgrov@computan.on.ca> wrote in message
news:1173451206.229535.294760@30g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Is there a way in Vista to change the datestamp on a file? I've got a
> bunch of pictures of my 2 year-old daughter (yes, I'm an obnoxious
> father of the worst kind ) and I'd like to change the date on some
> of the photos. Apparently the original dates have somehow been changed
> and I want to get them back to what they should be.
>
> Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Dennis_N

Re: Changing a file's date
On 9 Mar 2007 06:40:06 -0800, "Dennis Snelgrove"
<snelgrov@computan.on.ca> wrote:

>Is there a way in Vista to change the datestamp on a file? I've got a
>bunch of pictures of my 2 year-old daughter (yes, I'm an obnoxious
>father of the worst kind ) and I'd like to change the date on some
>of the photos. Apparently the original dates have somehow been changed
>and I want to get them back to what they should be.
>
>Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Also, you can change the capture date of a file, in windows explorer.

At the bottom of the explorer window, in the details pane you can
change some of the data for the file.

But if it is the file date (creation date) you want to change, as in
┤touch' on UNIX, i think you have to get some 3'rd party tool.
Don't believe you can do that per default.

Regards
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Changing a file's date
Changing these settings for pictures or videos is easiest from within the
Photo Gallery program. Click Start and type photo in the search bar. Click
Photo Gallery in the results.

Locate the picture file you want to change and select it. In the Info Bar on
the right, click the option you want to change. You can also select multiple
files by holding down the CTRL key while selecting the files.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Dennis Snelgrove" <snelgrov@computan.on.ca> wrote in message
news:1173451206.229535.294760@30g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Is there a way in Vista to change the datestamp on a file? I've got a
> bunch of pictures of my 2 year-old daughter (yes, I'm an obnoxious
> father of the worst kind ) and I'd like to change the date on some
> of the photos. Apparently the original dates have somehow been changed
> and I want to get them back to what they should be.
>
> Any help is greatly appreaciated!

Re: Changing a file's date
The copy command can touch file dates to current date.

copy filename+,,

"Dennis_N" <dn@nospam.dk> wrote in message
> On 9 Mar 2007 06:40:06 -0800, "Dennis Snelgrove"
> <snelgrov@computan.on.ca> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way in Vista to change the datestamp on a file? I've got a
>>bunch of pictures of my 2 year-old daughter (yes, I'm an obnoxious
>>father of the worst kind ) and I'd like to change the date on some
>>of the photos. Apparently the original dates have somehow been changed
>>and I want to get them back to what they should be.
>>
>>Any help is greatly appreaciated!

> Also, you can change the capture date of a file, in windows explorer.
>
> At the bottom of the explorer window, in the details pane you can
> change some of the data for the file.
>
> But if it is the file date (creation date) you want to change, as in
> ┤touch' on UNIX, i think you have to get some 3'rd party tool.
> Don't believe you can do that per default.
>
> Regards

Dennis_N

Re: Changing a file's date
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:27:31 +1100, <.> wrote:

>The copy command can touch file dates to current date.
>
>copy filename+,,

And ... ?

Not really relevant is it ? given the OP's whish to change the date
back ...
Dave

Re: Changing a file's date
Well, you could change your system date back, and then use this method....
;-)

but I think there are better methods, like using Windows Photo Gallery...

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:27:31 +1100, <.> wrote:
>
>>The copy command can touch file dates to current date.
>>
>>copy filename+,,

> And ... ?
>
> Not really relevant is it ? given the OP's whish to change the date
> back ...

Re: Changing a file's date
There is a clock in the corner.

"Dennis_N" <dn@nospam.dk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:27:31 +1100, <.> wrote:
>
>>The copy command can touch file dates to current date.
>>
>>copy filename+,,

> And ... ?
>
> Not really relevant is it ? given the OP's whish to change the date
> back ...

Dennis_N

Re: Changing a file's date
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:17:25 -0500, "Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com>
wrote:

>Well, you could change your system date back, and then use this method....
>;-)

Well, its not very elegant ..:=)

>but I think there are better methods, like using Windows Photo Gallery...

Yes,but I'm not sure that's what the OP was after. If It's the file
date he wants to change, then that wont do it. I believe that will
only change a meta data property, the 'shot' date.

Regards
Dennis_N

Re: Changing a file's date
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:34:43 +1100, <.> wrote:

>There is a clock in the corner.

go away...

Regards