Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files

=?Utf-8?B?aDJvYm95?=

Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
I have upgraded from Windows XP (SP2) to Vista Home Premium and now trying to
access numerous programs and files. I was able to find them in "windows.old"
but need to know how to install as they are not in my Vista programs list.
Is there also a way to import all of my Office 2003 Outlook contacts?
Explorer Favorites? I had Office 2003 and it is now not showing up at all in
Vista? (do I need to re-install from disk?)

Thanks for any help.
=?Utf-8?B?QmVubnk=?=

RE: Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
h2oboy,

It sounds as if you did a "Clean Install" instead of an upgrade. This
basically copied all of your old stuff to the windows.old file and installed
a "virgin" copy of Vista with no migration. You will need to re-install all
of your old software from the original media that you used and copy all of
your data from the windows.old file to the new copy of Vista.

I actually did the upgrade path first and found that I had done some driver
upgrades backwards (some of them need to be upgraded in XP first the you
migrate to Vista.) I couldn't recover from this so I turned around and
re-installed with a clean install. I had to dig up all my serial numbers and
reinstall everything one at a time.

Hope this helps,
Benny

"h2oboy" wrote:

> I have upgraded from Windows XP (SP2) to Vista Home Premium and now trying to
> access numerous programs and files. I was able to find them in "windows.old"
> but need to know how to install as they are not in my Vista programs list.
> Is there also a way to import all of my Office 2003 Outlook contacts?
> Explorer Favorites? I had Office 2003 and it is now not showing up at all in
> Vista? (do I need to re-install from disk?)
>
> Thanks for any help.

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
Re Outlook contacts, do a search for files with the extension PST.. when
found, copy it/them into the Outlook folder in Program Files.. then 'import'
it from that location..

news02805D0-F30B-47DC-82E0-0E6B5FDFA65F@microsoft.com...

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Flash Gortdon

Re: Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
This was my original question last week....Search will not find all the PST
files on my system.

It only finds my back-ups on the external HD.

<snip>

It finds 2 of the PST files reasonably quickly on the external drive - but
still fails to find the third/fourth ones on the C drive....

C:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ou tlook.pst

C:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ar chive.pst

In XP...it finds these with no problems and fairly quickly

My Search Location was set for C and J drives......

<snip>

The PST files are checked as indexed files by the way.

FG

"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Re Outlook contacts, do a search for files with the extension PST.. when
> found, copy it/them into the Outlook folder in Program Files.. then
> 'import' it from that location..
>

> "h2oboy" <h2oboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news02805D0-F30B-47DC-82E0-0E6B5FDFA65F@microsoft.com...
>>I have upgraded from Windows XP (SP2) to Vista Home Premium and now trying
>> access numerous programs and files. I was able to find them in
>> "windows.old"
>> but need to know how to install as they are not in my Vista programs
>> list.
>> Is there also a way to import all of my Office 2003 Outlook contacts?
>> Explorer Favorites? I had Office 2003 and it is now not showing up at
>> all in
>> Vista? (do I need to re-install from disk?)
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?QmVubnk=?=

Re: Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
I have seen this issue also.

In Vista, as administrator, you do not automatically have access to all
files. This isn't constrained to system type files either. You don't
automatically have access to other users' files.

I was searching for a file and Vista couldn't find it. So I searched for a
file that I knew existed and where it was located. Vista didn't find it. I
was logged on as Administrator. I went to manually navigate to the file and
make sure and was told I didn't have rights to the folder. The file was in
my \user\standard user\documents\... folder. Vista asked if I wanted access
to the folder and confirmed. I could then drive to the folder and the file
was indeed there. I did the search again and Vista found it that time.

For what it's worth,
Benny

"Flash Gortdon" wrote:

> This was my original question last week....Search will not find all the PST
> files on my system.
>
> It only finds my back-ups on the external HD.
>
> <snip>
>
> It finds 2 of the PST files reasonably quickly on the external drive - but
> still fails to find the third/fourth ones on the C drive....
>
> C:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ou tlook.pst
>
> C:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ar chive.pst
>
> In XP...it finds these with no problems and fairly quickly
>
> My Search Location was set for C and J drives......
>
> <snip>
>
> The PST files are checked as indexed files by the way.
>
> FG
>

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Re Outlook contacts, do a search for files with the extension PST.. when
> > found, copy it/them into the Outlook folder in Program Files.. then
> > 'import' it from that location..
> >

> > "h2oboy" <h2oboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news02805D0-F30B-47DC-82E0-0E6B5FDFA65F@microsoft.com...
> >>I have upgraded from Windows XP (SP2) to Vista Home Premium and now trying
> >> access numerous programs and files. I was able to find them in
> >> "windows.old"
> >> but need to know how to install as they are not in my Vista programs
> >> list.
> >> Is there also a way to import all of my Office 2003 Outlook contacts?
> >> Explorer Favorites? I had Office 2003 and it is now not showing up at
> >> all in
> >> Vista? (do I need to re-install from disk?)
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.

> > --
> >

> > Mike Hall
> > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?TGl0bCBCaXRz?=

RE: Upgraded to Vista Home Premium - RE-install windows old files
HELP!! I didn't upgrade old computer - my old one was dying. Now I'm having
fits copying .pst files into Windows email (and address book) in Vista Home
Premium. All my data, docs, .pst files, etc. were copied onto external hard
drive. I have them, but cannot get them into my vista! I've far too many to
try to enter manually. And for some reason, Vista tries to open these .pst
files with Word - which works not at all and I end up with a page of
gibberish! PLEASE! DESPERATE!
--
New to Vista - NEED LOTS OF HELP!