Can't open file except with associated program. What do I do?

Laura

Can't open file except with associated program. What do I do?
I used to be able to open a file from Documents or Recent Documents and other
places and just double click on the file and it opened. Now though, I have to
be in the program that the file is associated with to be able to open it. I
hate this. But I don't know what changed or how to fix it.
So basically if it is an Excel file I have to open Excel first and then open
the program from there.
Can you tell me what I need to change, install, or what I need to do to get
the files to just open from Documents and Recent Documents?
Thanks,
Bob

Re: Can't open file except with associated program. What do I do?

Run System Restore to a time before the problem began.

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to be able to open a file from Documents or Recent Documents and
>other
> places and just double click on the file and it opened. Now though, I have
> be in the program that the file is associated with to be able to open it.
> hate this. But I don't know what changed or how to fix it.
> So basically if it is an Excel file I have to open Excel first and then
> open
> the program from there.
> Can you tell me what I need to change, install, or what I need to do to
> get
> the files to just open from Documents and Recent Documents?
> Thanks,

Jane C

Re: Can't open file except with associated program. What do I do?
Hi Laura,

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

--