How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing

Richard

How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
I have several directories that I access fairly often so I would like to add
them to the top level listing of "My Computer" for easy access. I know I
could do shortcuts on the desktop but would also like access via the "My
Computer" listing. Is there anyway to create a "virtual" directory pointing
to the subdirectory I want jump too and having that show up in "My Computer" ?
jamesvdm

RE: How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
Hey, links might do exactly what you want here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...avorite-links/

James

"Richard" wrote:

> I have several directories that I access fairly often so I would like to add
> them to the top level listing of "My Computer" for easy access. I know I
> could do shortcuts on the desktop but would also like access via the "My
> Computer" listing. Is there anyway to create a "virtual" directory pointing
> to the subdirectory I want jump too and having that show up in "My Computer" ?

Richard

RE: How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
Thanks Jamesvdm

But Windows XP doesn't have a "Favorite Links" area in the "Start" listing.
I believe this is something new in Vista. Any program in XP can be "pinned"
to the "Start" menu by right clicking on it's executable and selecting "pin
to start menu" but that option isn't offered for directories.

So I'm still looking for a way !

Richard

"jamesvdm" wrote:

> Hey, links might do exactly what you want here
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...avorite-links/
>
> James
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > I have several directories that I access fairly often so I would like to add
> > them to the top level listing of "My Computer" for easy access. I know I
> > could do shortcuts on the desktop but would also like access via the "My
> > Computer" listing. Is there anyway to create a "virtual" directory pointing
> > to the subdirectory I want jump too and having that show up in "My Computer" ?

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
Are you using XP or Vista??

I know this worked in XP, haven't tried it in Vista:

http://www.tropictech.de/modules/PDd...hp?cid=1&lid=5

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Jamesvdm
>
> But Windows XP doesn't have a "Favorite Links" area in the "Start"
> listing.
> I believe this is something new in Vista. Any program in XP can be
> "pinned"
> to the "Start" menu by right clicking on it's executable and selecting
> "pin
> to start menu" but that option isn't offered for directories.
>
> So I'm still looking for a way !
>
> Richard
>

> "jamesvdm" wrote:
>
>> Hey, links might do exactly what you want here
>>
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...avorite-links/
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Richard" wrote:
>>
>> > I have several directories that I access fairly often so I would like
>> > to add
>> > them to the top level listing of "My Computer" for easy access. I know
>> > could do shortcuts on the desktop but would also like access via the
>> > "My
>> > Computer" listing. Is there anyway to create a "virtual" directory
>> > pointing
>> > to the subdirectory I want jump too and having that show up in "My
>> > Computer" ?

Richard

Re: How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
Thanks Keith

That looks like exactly what I'm trying to do and, yes, I am running XP. It
also led me to a few other articles explaining "hard links" and "soft links"
that helped with my understanding of whats going on.

Thanks again
Richard

"Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:

> Are you using XP or Vista??
>
> I know this worked in XP, haven't tried it in Vista:
>
> http://www.tropictech.de/modules/PDd...hp?cid=1&lid=5
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Jamesvdm
> >
> > But Windows XP doesn't have a "Favorite Links" area in the "Start"
> > listing.
> > I believe this is something new in Vista. Any program in XP can be
> > "pinned"
> > to the "Start" menu by right clicking on it's executable and selecting
> > "pin
> > to start menu" but that option isn't offered for directories.
> >
> > So I'm still looking for a way !
> >
> > Richard
> >

> > "jamesvdm" wrote:
> >
> >> Hey, links might do exactly what you want here
> >>
> >> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...avorite-links/
> >>
> >> James

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: How to create a virtual directory in "My Computer" listing
You're welcome.

--

> Thanks Keith
>
> That looks like exactly what I'm trying to do and, yes, I am running XP.
> It
> also led me to a few other articles explaining "hard links" and "soft
> links"
> that helped with my understanding of whats going on.
>
> Thanks again
> Richard
>
> "Keith Miller (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Are you using XP or Vista??
>>
>> I know this worked in XP, haven't tried it in Vista:
>>
>> http://www.tropictech.de/modules/PDd...hp?cid=1&lid=5
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>>

>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Jamesvdm
>> >
>> > But Windows XP doesn't have a "Favorite Links" area in the "Start"
>> > listing.
>> > I believe this is something new in Vista. Any program in XP can be
>> > "pinned"
>> > to the "Start" menu by right clicking on it's executable and selecting
>> > "pin
>> > to start menu" but that option isn't offered for directories.
>> >
>> > So I'm still looking for a way !
>> >
>> > Richard

sgmaxmp11