Cannot delete shortcut file

solostar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannot delete shortcut file
I am having a problem deleting shortcut files as when i attempt to delete them it says that it could not find this item, they are also unable to be dragged into the recycle bin, nor are they able to be moved anywhere else. when i right click on them it says on the security tab after properties that it is unavailable or cant be displayed. This isnt happening with all the shortcuts but it is wasting space, help would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me delete them somehow.
Dave

Re: Cannot delete shortcut file

"solostar" <solostar.35a0o6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I am having a problem deleting shortcut files as when i attempt to
> delete them it says that it could not find this item, they are also
> unable to be dragged into the recycle bin, nor are they able to be moved
> anywhere else. when i right click on them it says on the security tab
> after properties that it is unavailable or cant be displayed. This isnt
> happening with all the shortcuts but it is wasting space, help would be
> greatly appreciated if anyone can help me delete them somehow.
>

> --
> solostar

try f5 to refresh the screen

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot delete shortcut file
Solostar

Need more details.

What program were these shortcuts created for?
Where are the shortcuts located?
What is the name of the shortcuts?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"solostar" <solostar.35a0o6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I am having a problem deleting shortcut files as when i attempt to
> delete them it says that it could not find this item, they are also
> unable to be dragged into the recycle bin, nor are they able to be moved
> anywhere else. when i right click on them it says on the security tab
> after properties that it is unavailable or cant be displayed. This isnt
> happening with all the shortcuts but it is wasting space, help would be
> greatly appreciated if anyone can help me delete them somehow.
>

> --
> solostar

AI

RE: Cannot delete shortcut file
I too am having this problem. For example, I downloaded some jpegs and
deleted them. However, when I did a search of my pictures for another
picture I had saved, the shortcuts to my old pictures appeared.

"solostar" wrote:

> I am having a problem deleting shortcut files as when i attempt to
> delete them it says that it could not find this item, they are also
> unable to be dragged into the recycle bin, nor are they able to be moved
> anywhere else. when i right click on them it says on the security tab
> after properties that it is unavailable or cant be displayed. This isnt
> happening with all the shortcuts but it is wasting space, help would be
> greatly appreciated if anyone can help me delete them somehow.
>

> --
> solostar

solostar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the shortcuts are located in the roaming area in appdata folder but they ony appear when searched for otherwise they cannot be seen. They were wmv clips which i had deleted as the quality wasn't clear.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot delete shortcut file
Solostar

If the shortcuts were deleted, but they still show up in a search, this
simply means that the search index has not had time to update and remove the
references to those files.

You can force the re-indexing. Open Control Panel and double click the
Indexing Options. Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then
click Rebuild. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

--

"solostar" <solostar.35enc7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> the shortcuts are located in the roaming area in appdata folder but they
> ony appear when searched for otherwise they cannot be seen. They were
> wmv clips which i had deleted as the quality wasn't clear.
>

> --
> solostar

solostar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info will give it a try then send message to see if it works
Bob

Re: Cannot delete shortcut file

What info?

When posting, please quote relevant information so that others may learn and
benefit from the issue. Some people may have missed the previous posts.

"solostar" <solostar.35g88e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> thanks for the info will give it a try then send message to see if it
> works
>

> --
> solostar

solostar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm grateful for the advice given by Ronnie to delete these icons, and it works no problem now. Thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot delete shortcut file
Solostar

I'm glad this helped.