Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Arcking

Some Shortcuts Don't Work

I'm having trouble with shortcuts not working (not doing anything) in
Vista. About as much as I can explain is that shortcuts with greyed out
fields don't work, but shortcuts with all the fields editable work fine.
Examples below.

Works:
[image:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ums/roxio.jpg]

Doesn't Work:
[image:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ums/excel.jpg]

Any help that can be provided will be of great assistance!

Is there anything like an application DNS in Windows?

--
Arcking
Brink

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Hi Arcking,

If the shortcuts will not work, then the easiest way to fix the problem
is to go to the program's exe file and right click on it and click
"Create shortcut". You can then replace the old shortcut with the new
one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Arcking

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Brink;623337 Wrote:
> If the shortcuts will not work, then the easiest way to fix the problem
> is to go to the program's exe file and right click on it and click
> "Create shortcut". You can then replace the old shortcut with the new
> one.

That would obviously work, but I'm hoping to find the cause of this
syndrome. There are many shortcuts that don't work, and I'm hoping not
to have to recreate them all.

--
Arcking
Arcking

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Brink;623364 Wrote:
> Go to this site below and click on the lnk in the box to download the
> reg file to your desktop. Just follow the rest of the usage instructions
> at the site for how to use it.

That didn't work either...I'm tempted to reformat...

--
Arcking
Brink

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Arcking,

Is it just for a few certain programs that the shortcuts no longer work
for, or is more serious than that? If it's just a few programs, you
might try reinstalling them to see if it helps. Otherwise, a reinstall
may take longer, but may save you time and a further headache.

Sorry,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Arcking

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

I would say about 50% of the programs I use (I haven't tried all) no
longer open from their shortcuts (both Desktop and Start Menu).

Any idea what might have caused this? (Do the screenshots help?)

--
Arcking
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work
The example you gave was an Excel shortcut. Have you run Detect & Repair
from the Help menu of Excel?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"Arcking" <Arcking.3594q6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I'm having trouble with shortcuts not working (not doing anything) in
> Vista. About as much as I can explain is that shortcuts with greyed out
> fields don't work, but shortcuts with all the fields editable work fine.
> Examples below.
>
> Works:
> [image:
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ums/roxio.jpg]
>
> Doesn't Work:
> [image:
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ums/excel.jpg]
>

> Any help that can be provided will be of great assistance!
>
> Is there anything like an application DNS in Windows?
>

> --
> Arcking

Arcking

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Keith Miller \(MVP\);623428 Wrote:
> The example you gave was an Excel shortcut. Have you run Detect &
> Repair
> from the Help menu of Excel?

Great suggestions, but unfortunately it did not work, even with the
"Restore my shortcuts while repairing" checked. This problem also shows
up in other shortcuts, such as those of iTunes and Jasc Paint Shop Pro.
Interestingly, while the shortcuts for Word and Excel do not work, those
for other Office products do work, such as those of PowerPoint and
Outlook. It seems that the shortcuts of the programs that I use most
often have ceased functioned, while the shortcuts of programs that I
rarely use continue to function. I don't know if that might have any
impact. More examples of non-functioning shortcuts below.

Doesn't work:
[image:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ms/itunes.jpg][image:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...orums/psp.jpg]

--
Arcking
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work
Googling on "installer shortcuts" brought up a wealth of info. I found this
thread that describes a situation similar to yours:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f133a5bceb72b8

and the OP indicated that the solution offered by Ramesh worked. So give
that a try & let us know.

--

"Arcking" <Arcking.359mrz@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Keith Miller \(MVP\);623428 Wrote:
>> The example you gave was an Excel shortcut. Have you run Detect &
>> Repair
>> from the Help menu of Excel?

> Great suggestions, but unfortunately it did not work, even with the
> "Restore my shortcuts while repairing" checked. This problem also shows
> up in other shortcuts, such as those of iTunes and Jasc Paint Shop Pro.
> Interestingly, while the shortcuts for Word and Excel do not work, those
> for other Office products do work, such as those of PowerPoint and
> Outlook. It seems that the shortcuts of the programs that I use most
> often have ceased functioned, while the shortcuts of programs that I
> rarely use continue to function. I don't know if that might have any
> impact. More examples of non-functioning shortcuts below.
>
> Doesn't work:
> [image:
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ms/itunes.jpg][image:
> http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...orums/psp.jpg]
>

> --
> Arcking

davehc

Re: Some Shortcuts Don't Work

Have a look under the "security" tab and make sure that "everyone" and
"username" (or just "users") have ticked rights to "read and execute"
perhaps, during a customisation, some of the rights have been altered?

--
davehc