Cannot Rename or Delete Folder Vista

bstrick1411

Cannot Rename or Delete Folder Vista

Hello i have Vista Home Eddition and the laptop was used and the
original install computer name is in my system along with my folders.
I am trying to rename and or delete the folder but rename is not an
options and delete starts to work and then it stops saying i have files
in use.

Also when i install a new program it keeps displaying the original
owners name instead of Mine where ii changed it in system settings.

Please help

--
bstrick1411
Bob

Re: Cannot Rename or Delete Folder Vista

Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista

http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

"bstrick1411" <bstrick1411.357344@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hello i have Vista Home Eddition and the laptop was used and the
> original install computer name is in my system along with my folders.
> I am trying to rename and or delete the folder but rename is not an
> options and delete starts to work and then it stops saying i have files
> in use.
>
> Also when i install a new program it keeps displaying the original
> owners name instead of Mine where ii changed it in system settings.
>
> Please help
>

> --
> bstrick1411

dwarkin

Re: Cannot Rename or Delete Folder Vista
Hej, i´ve a similar but sligtly different: in our ultimate-versions some pcs
are unable to rename folders at all (the way wiht the "ownership" does not
help, the rights are checked and ok!). If you try to give name to a new
folder (e.g. "test-folder") and press enter, the name continues to be "neuer
ordner" (german for "new folder"). If you try to rename it, this name stays
"neuer ordner". Only way: to rename it by the cmd- or powershell - if you do
so, the new and correct name is than being displayed as well within the
explorer-window. Therefor it´s supposed to be a problem connected merely to
the explorer itself. It feels like if there is a registry-key preventing the
explorer from renaming. But what? Do You have a trick or do know anybody who
knows? Thanks for helping.
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Cannot Rename or Delete Folder Vista
Hi dwarkin,

This happens if the "FolderDescriptions" registry key or some of its subkeys are missing. See:

Unable to rename or move folders in Windows Vista - The Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/un...windows-vista/

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog