Windows Explorer

Randy

Windows Explorer
Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
form, from Windows Exploror?
--
Thanks for your help

Randy
Brink

Re: Windows Explorer

Randy;618085 Wrote:
> Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree
> style
> form, from Windows Exploror?
> --
> Thanks for your help
>
> Randy

Hi Randy,

This will show you how to print out a list of files and folders.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...rint-save.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
R. C. White

Re: Windows Explorer
Hi, Randy.

See this KB article:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
> form, from Windows Exploror?
> --
> Thanks for your help
>
> Randy

prj44

Re: Windows Explorer
Thank you. Unfortunately, Step 2 in 321379 seems impossible...because there
is NO TAB for FILE TYPES. And I cannot get any help from HELP about where to
find it.
I know the solution works, because I have installed it in XP.

why do i buy software that makes me feel stupid?

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Randy.
>
> See this KB article:
> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
> > form, from Windows Exploror?
> > --
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Randy

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Explorer
File Types tab is removed in Windows Vista. Step 3 (Editing the registry) in that article works for Windows Vista.

Windows Vista
1.Start Registry Editor.
2.Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\shell
3.On the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key. Type Print Directory Listing, and then press ENTER.
4.Select Print Directory Listing, click New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
5.Enter a command for the name of the new subkey, and then press ENTER.
6.Double-click the default entry that is listed in the "command" subkey.
7.In the Value data box, type Printdir.bat.
8.Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
© 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved

Or you can make use of the .REG file here:

How to add the Print Directory feature for file system folders in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
Download and apply "printdir_vista.reg"

--
Regards,

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Randy.
>
> See this KB article:
> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
> > form, from Windows Exploror?
> > --
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Randy

mkprilliman

Re: Windows Explorer

On Vista, you can skip step 2 and go to step 3.

Note: There are a couple of minor tweaks that need to be made to this
step though (highlighted in *red*):

*Windows Vista*

1.Start Registry Editor.

2.Locate the following registry key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\shell

3.On the *Edit* menu, click *New*, and then click *Key*. Type Print
Directory Listing, and then press ENTER.

*3a. Double-click the default entry in the "Print Directory Listing"
key. *

*3b. In the Value data box, type the command you want to appear in the
Explorer context menu (i.e. "Print Directory Listing").*

4.Select the *Print Directory Listing *key, click *New* on the *Edit*
menu, and then click *Key*.

5.Enter *"command"* for the name of the new subkey, and then press
ENTER.

6.Double-click the default entry that is listed in the "command"
subkey.

7.In the *Value data* box, type Printdir.bat.

8.Click *OK*, and then exit Registry Editor.

Once you modify the registry, the new command should show up in your
right-click context menu the next time you fire up Windows Explorer.

You might want to experiment with that batch file a bit though. I
modified mine so that will let me preview the listing first instead of
spooling it directly to the printer (remove the /p switch from the
notepad command line).

start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"

I did this because it seems that Vista's Explorer doesn't play very
nice when it comes to passing the correct path to the batch command if
you invoke it by right clicking a folder from the left side tree view
(winds up dumping the directory list from %SYSDIR%) - you'll need to
launch the batch by using a folder in the right-hand pane of the
explorer view to get closer to what you were looking for...

--
mkprilliman

"The Deathstar is fully operational."

Antec Nine Hundred / Core 2 Quad Q6600 / MSI P6N Diamond / CoolerMaster
RP Pro 1000 PSU / X-Fi 7.1 / 4x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 / 2x MSI
NX8600GTS-OC / 150GB Raptor (system) / 2 x 500GB HDD (RAID 0) / 1x 300GB
HDD (beta partition) / Venus T4U (1TB capacity) / 1x Dell 2407WFP
wrapped by 2x Dell 2001FPs / Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Erithacus

Re: Windows Explorer
I have followed the instructions for Windows Vista and now have "Print
directory listing" on the file menu for each folder. So far so good.
However, when I try to print out a listing I get error message "This file
does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create
an association in the Set Associations control panel". How do I do this?
The message doesn't make too much sense since it is a folder - not a file. I
couldn't find anything relevant under Deafault programs in the Control Panel.
Help, please.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> File Types tab is removed in Windows Vista. Step 3 (Editing the registry) in that article works for Windows Vista.
>
> Windows Vista
> 1.Start Registry Editor.
> 2.Locate the following registry key:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\shell
> 3.On the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key. Type Print Directory Listing, and then press ENTER.
> 4.Select Print Directory Listing, click New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
> 5.Enter a command for the name of the new subkey, and then press ENTER.
> 6.Double-click the default entry that is listed in the "command" subkey.
> 7.In the Value data box, type Printdir.bat.
> 8.Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
>

> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
>
> Or you can make use of the .REG file here:
>
> How to add the Print Directory feature for file system folders in Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
> Download and apply "printdir_vista.reg"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "prj44" <prj44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E195A64-64EC-44D8-8345-8E0CCFB05198@microsoft.com...
> Thank you. Unfortunately, Step 2 in 321379 seems impossible...because there
> is NO TAB for FILE TYPES. And I cannot get any help from HELP about where to
> find it.
> I know the solution works, because I have installed it in XP.
>
> why do i buy software that makes me feel stupid?
>

> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Randy.
> >
> > See this KB article:
> > How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> > Windows Vista
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@grandecom.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
> >
> > "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
> > > form, from Windows Exploror?
> > > --
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Randy

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Explorer
See if using the "printdir_vista.reg" fix from the 2nd link helps.

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> File Types tab is removed in Windows Vista. Step 3 (Editing the registry) in that article works for Windows Vista.
>
> Windows Vista
> 1.Start Registry Editor.
> 2.Locate the following registry key:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\shell
> 3.On the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key. Type Print Directory Listing, and then press ENTER.
> 4.Select Print Directory Listing, click New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
> 5.Enter a command for the name of the new subkey, and then press ENTER.
> 6.Double-click the default entry that is listed in the "command" subkey.
> 7.In the Value data box, type Printdir.bat.
> 8.Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
>

> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved
>
> Or you can make use of the .REG file here:
>
> How to add the Print Directory feature for file system folders in Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
> Download and apply "printdir_vista.reg"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "prj44" <prj44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E195A64-64EC-44D8-8345-8E0CCFB05198@microsoft.com...
> Thank you. Unfortunately, Step 2 in 321379 seems impossible...because there
> is NO TAB for FILE TYPES. And I cannot get any help from HELP about where to
> find it.
> I know the solution works, because I have installed it in XP.
>
> why do i buy software that makes me feel stupid?
>

> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Randy.
> >
> > See this KB article:
> > How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> > Windows Vista
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@grandecom.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
> >
> > "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is it possible to print a list of folders and their files in a tree style
> > > form, from Windows Exploror?
> > > --
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Randy

Erithacus

Re: Windows Explorer
Yes, this has worked. Many thanks.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > Thank you. Unfortunately, Step 2 in 321379 seems impossible...because there
> > is NO TAB for FILE TYPES. And I cannot get any help from HELP about where to
> > find it.
> > I know the solution works, because I have installed it in XP.
> >
> > why do i buy software that makes me feel stupid?
> >

> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Randy.
> > >
> > > See this KB article:
> > > How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
> > > Windows Vista
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> > >
> > > RC
> > > --
> > > R. C. White, CPA
> > > San Marcos, TX
> > > rc@grandecom.net
> > > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > > (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Explorer
You're welcome!