Hard Drive Directory Tree

ND Dad

Hard Drive Directory Tree
Is there any software that will make a complete directory of a hard drive
including File memory size for all files including system and hidden files?

or

The Command Prompt DIR string that will yeald all files, hidden and system,
including those that may not be fully Vista compatabile?

I have tried DIR /a/s but still get <DIR> . or <DIR> .. for example and
connot peal that onion back any more.
--
ND Dad
R. C. White

Re: Hard Drive Directory Tree
Hi, Dad.

Dir /a/s is one of my favorite commands and I use it often - and it always
works as expected.

It does show me <DIR>, of course, but then it continues to list all the
files in the current folder, followed by each of the subfolders, in order,
all the way to the bottom of the folder tree - unless I press <Ctrl>+C or
the Break key to stop it. In a BIG folder, like \Windows\system32, the list
can go on for a long time and I sometimes get impatient.

I usually do this in an Administrator:Command Prompt window, but it works
the same way in a non-Admin CP. How do you use the command?

You might also be interested in this KB article:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP and in
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

While I haven't tried it, you should be able to easily add the /a/s switches
to the PrintDir.bat batch file described there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"ND Dad" <NoSpam@Yahoo.net> wrote in message
> Is there any software that will make a complete directory of a hard drive
> including File memory size for all files including system and hidden
> files?
>
> or
>
> The Command Prompt DIR string that will yeald all files, hidden and
> system,
> including those that may not be fully Vista compatabile?
>
> I have tried DIR /a/s but still get <DIR> . or <DIR> .. for example and
> connot peal that onion back any more.
> --
> ND Dad

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Re: Hard Drive Directory Tree
You will always see <DIR>. & <DIR>.. in any directory listing. <DIR> . is
the directory you are currently in. <DIR> .. is the parent directory. Try
typing:

cd ..

in any directory other than the root and you will be taken up one level.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

"ND Dad" <NoSpam@Yahoo.net> wrote in message
> Is there any software that will make a complete directory of a hard drive
> including File memory size for all files including system and hidden
> files?
>
> or
>
> The Command Prompt DIR string that will yeald all files, hidden and
> system,
> including those that may not be fully Vista compatabile?
>
> I have tried DIR /a/s but still get <DIR> . or <DIR> .. for example and
> connot peal that onion back any more.
> --
> ND Dad

ND Dad

Re: Hard Drive Directory Tree
Keith & R.C. thanks. Some good ideas to try.

--
ND Dad