Relocating Public folders

Greg Edwards

Relocating Public folders
Is there any way to move the Public folders in Vista? I'm familiar with how
to move a user's folder (Properties > Location, etc.), but the Public folders
don't seem as easy to move.
I have a physicially separate drive (Z, and I'd like to point the Public
folders there. Thanks!
--
- Greg

http://gregsedwards.spaces.live.com
PaulB

RE: Relocating Public folders
Inside the main Public folder, all the folders marked Public, Documents, etc.
have the location tab so the can be relocated.
--
Paul

"Greg Edwards" wrote:

> Is there any way to move the Public folders in Vista? I'm familiar with how
> to move a user's folder (Properties > Location, etc.), but the Public folders
> don't seem as easy to move.
> I have a physicially separate drive (Z, and I'd like to point the Public
> folders there. Thanks!
> --
> - Greg
>
> http://gregsedwards.spaces.live.com

Gilles Pion

Re: Relocating Public folders
Ref: <4B85A252-C1B0-4F3C-BAA8-ADEBC6B50149@microsoft.com> de PaulB
<PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Inside the main Public folder, all the folders marked Public, Documents, etc.
>have the location tab so the can be relocated.

Strangely this is possible *only* if UAC is turned off (would be very happy to
understand why)
--
Gilles "Cool Raoul" - http://coolraoul.cvp-net.com/
PaulB

Re: Relocating Public folders
I have UAC on and I can relocate them. I'm not sure why you can't.
--
Paul

"Gilles Pion" wrote:

> Ref: <4B85A252-C1B0-4F3C-BAA8-ADEBC6B50149@microsoft.com> de PaulB
> <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >Inside the main Public folder, all the folders marked Public, Documents, etc.
> >have the location tab so the can be relocated.

> Strangely this is possible *only* if UAC is turned off (would be very happy to
> understand why)
> --
> Gilles "Cool Raoul" - http://coolraoul.cvp-net.com/

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Relocating Public folders
Gilles

Any action you start that affects all of the users on the system should get
a UAC prompt. This is what UAC is all about. Only an administrator is
allowed to make global changes that affects all users.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Ref: <1AAF145D-3DC0-414C-A041-7551E3933FF4@microsoft.com> de PaulB
<PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com>
>I have UAC on and I can relocate them. I'm not sure why you can't.

Microsoft confirms that this problem exists:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...33127&x=8&y=11

"When you try to move a public folder in Windows Vista, the Move button may be
missing"

--
Gilles "Cool Raoul" - http://coolraoul.cvp-net.com/
Greg Edwards

Re: Relocating Public folders
Giles,

Turning off UAC worked like a charm. Thanks!

Paul,

I wonder whether your current account has elevated privileges. Just a thought.