Start Menu Problems

James L. Williams

Start Menu Problems
Hello,

I have posted this once but have not had any response, I hope it is just
because of how I phrased the Subject line of this message.

I have another issue however I am not sure where to post it. On the
start menu, you have default applications and files, however every time I
click "Remove From this List" on the default programs and files, they come
back after I log off then back onto the user account. Why won't they stay
removed? I.E. I want to
remove AOL and Windows Media Player from the main Start Menu. So I click
"Remove From this List" and it goes away, but after I log off and then back
on again,
they come back. I can't get rid of them. What is the problem here? It
does this on every user profile on three new computers with Vista Business.
Even the ones that have adminstrator privileges.

Regards,

James Williams

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Start Menu Problems
James

Right click the Start Button and select Properties/Start Menu tab. In the
Privacy section, remove the check mark from the "Store and display a list of
recently opened programs" option. Click Apply/OK. This should clear that
list. You can then go back and reset this option to enabled.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have posted this once but have not had any response, I hope it is just
> because of how I phrased the Subject line of this message.
>
> I have another issue however I am not sure where to post it. On the
> start menu, you have default applications and files, however every time I
> click "Remove From this List" on the default programs and files, they come
> back after I log off then back onto the user account. Why won't they stay
> removed? I.E. I want to
> remove AOL and Windows Media Player from the main Start Menu. So I click
> "Remove From this List" and it goes away, but after I log off and then
> back
> on again,
> they come back. I can't get rid of them. What is the problem here? It
> does this on every user profile on three new computers with Vista
> Business.
> Even the ones that have adminstrator privileges.
>
> Regards,
>

> James Williams

James L. Williams

Re: Start Menu Problems
Ok, this works when I deselect, but then when I put check mark from "Store
and display a list of recently opened programs" option and then log off, the
same original programs pop back into the start menu. I can't get rid of
then at all.

The programs that are there are:
Welcome Center
Backup Status and Configuration
Small Business Resources
Windows Fax and Scan
Windows Meeting Space
Windows Photo Gallary

Every time I righ click on these and click "Remove from this List". Then
log off of the computer and back on again, they come back. It does this on
all of the user accounts even the adminstrator privileged ones.

How can I remove these and still retain most recent programs in the list?
Where is Microsoft's help responses? Do they even care?

Oh, and did I mention that this happens on all three new computers that I
bought with Windows Vista Business. I almost regret getting Vista.

Regards,

James

> James
>
> Right click the Start Button and select Properties/Start Menu tab. In the
> Privacy section, remove the check mark from the "Store and display a list
> of recently opened programs" option. Click Apply/OK. This should clear
> that list. You can then go back and reset this option to enabled.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have posted this once but have not had any response, I hope it is just
>> because of how I phrased the Subject line of this message.
>>
>> I have another issue however I am not sure where to post it. On the
>> start menu, you have default applications and files, however every time I
>> click "Remove From this List" on the default programs and files, they
>> come
>> back after I log off then back onto the user account. Why won't they
>> stay
>> removed? I.E. I want to
>> remove AOL and Windows Media Player from the main Start Menu. So I click
>> "Remove From this List" and it goes away, but after I log off and then
>> back
>> on again,
>> they come back. I can't get rid of them. What is the problem here? It
>> does this on every user profile on three new computers with Vista
>> Business.
>> Even the ones that have adminstrator privileges.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> James Williams

=?Utf-8?B?RGVhbi1EZWFu?=

Re: Start Menu Problems
In the registry editor, in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In the right-pane, there should be a DWORD value named StartMenuInit.

Double-click StartMenuInit and set its data to 3.

"James L. Williams" wrote:

> Ok, this works when I deselect, but then when I put check mark from "Store
> and display a list of recently opened programs" option and then log off, the
> same original programs pop back into the start menu. I can't get rid of
> then at all.
>
> The programs that are there are:
> Welcome Center
> Backup Status and Configuration
> Small Business Resources
> Windows Fax and Scan
> Windows Meeting Space
> Windows Photo Gallary
>
> Every time I righ click on these and click "Remove from this List". Then
> log off of the computer and back on again, they come back. It does this on
> all of the user accounts even the adminstrator privileged ones.
>
> How can I remove these and still retain most recent programs in the list?
> Where is Microsoft's help responses? Do they even care?
>
> Oh, and did I mention that this happens on all three new computers that I
> bought with Windows Vista Business. I almost regret getting Vista.
>
> Regards,
>

> James
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
> > James
> >
> > Right click the Start Button and select Properties/Start Menu tab. In the
> > Privacy section, remove the check mark from the "Store and display a list
> > of recently opened programs" option. Click Apply/OK. This should clear
> > that list. You can then go back and reset this option to enabled.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "James L. Williams" <Jim_L_Williams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have posted this once but have not had any response, I hope it is just
> >> because of how I phrased the Subject line of this message.
> >>
> >> I have another issue however I am not sure where to post it. On the
> >> start menu, you have default applications and files, however every time I
> >> click "Remove From this List" on the default programs and files, they
> >> come
> >> back after I log off then back onto the user account. Why won't they
> >> stay
> >> removed? I.E. I want to
> >> remove AOL and Windows Media Player from the main Start Menu. So I click
> >> "Remove From this List" and it goes away, but after I log off and then
> >> back
> >> on again,
> >> they come back. I can't get rid of them. What is the problem here? It
> >> does this on every user profile on three new computers with Vista
> >> Business.
> >> Even the ones that have adminstrator privileges.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> James Williams

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Start Menu Problems
Hi James,

See:

Start Menu pops up at every logon, and the Most Frequently Used programs list is reset everytime:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/21/1/

For Windows Vista, set the StartMenuInit value data as 3.

See also: Post "Start Menu keeps resetting upon restart" in vista.general.

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

[...]

Frequently Used Programs list is reset to defaults during every logon in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/163/1/

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:OmBe2dfYHHA.992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thank you, that did it.

How can I set this so that it gets set correctly for every user who logs on,
without them having to make this registry change on their own?

Regards,

James

[...]

That's the question, why didn't it.