Managing the Font folder in Vista with Suitcase

Synapse Syndrome

Managing the Font folder in Vista with Suitcase

The Vista font folder does not seem to allow you to easily display columns
like Date Modified or Attributes. This making it hard for me to know which
fonts have just been added by installing some program. I want to remove
those fonts and put them in its own folder set in Extensis Suitcase. I have
far too many fonts to let them all be in the Fonts folder.

But the big problem is that I cannot set NTFS deny permissions on the Fonts
folder anymore. What are people who are keeping their work machines clean
and tidy do when it comes to fonts??

ss.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Managing the Font folder in Vista with Suitcase
SS

I'm not sure what type of program Extensis Suitcase is?

The main reason to have a common fonts folder is so that all of the
installed fonts can be used for any program that uses fonts. Unless a
program has the ability to specify a custom fonts folder, then it would not
have access to fonts that were installed there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message

> The Vista font folder does not seem to allow you to easily display columns
> like Date Modified or Attributes. This making it hard for me to know
> which fonts have just been added by installing some program. I want to
> remove those fonts and put them in its own folder set in Extensis
> Suitcase. I have far too many fonts to let them all be in the Fonts
> folder.
>
> But the big problem is that I cannot set NTFS deny permissions on the
> Fonts folder anymore. What are people who are keeping their work machines
> clean and tidy do when it comes to fonts??
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

> SS
>
> I'm not sure what type of program Extensis Suitcase is?

It's a font managing program that can also work through a network for a
centralised font server.

http://www.extensis.com/en/home.jsp;...ue stid=54529

> The main reason to have a common fonts folder is so that all of the
> installed fonts can be used for any program that uses fonts. Unless a
> program has the ability to specify a custom fonts folder, then it would
> not have access to fonts that were installed there.

Thanks but that's what font magaing programs actually do. They enable you
to make certain sets of fonts active. When you are dealing with hundreds or
thousands of fonts, making them all active makes font menus far too long and
takes too much memory.

I just need to know how to set permissions on the standard fonts folder and
to know which fonts that might be added to it are not the default Windows
fonts. This was easy to do with XP.

ss.

lforbes

Re: Managing the Font folder in Vista with Suitcase
Hi,

I won't do this at home on my home Vista but when I get back to work I will
be resetting a test Vista Business machine to the NTFS permissions that I
used in XP and then forcing all subdirectories to take those permissions.
You could try that. I know with my domain I had a registry key that hid the
security tab on all folders for certain users but not certain folders.

You can try using xcacls.vbs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;825751

It will warn you it doesn't support Vista but just modify the script
following the directions - change

Select Case OSVer
Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2"

Select Case OSVer
Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2", "6.0"

Then type

cscript C:\myfolder\xcacls.vbs c:\windows\fonts

This will show you the permissions on the fonts folder. You can take
ownership or do pretty much anything with permissions.

Try it out.

Cheers,
Lara

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> SS
>>
>> I'm not sure what type of program Extensis Suitcase is?
>>

> It's a font managing program that can also work through a network for a
> centralised font server.
>
> http://www.extensis.com/en/home.jsp;...ue stid=54529
>
>> The main reason to have a common fonts folder is so that all of the
>> installed fonts can be used for any program that uses fonts. Unless a
>> program has the ability to specify a custom fonts folder, then it would
>> not have access to fonts that were installed there.
>>

> Thanks but that's what font magaing programs actually do. They enable you
> to make certain sets of fonts active. When you are dealing with hundreds
> or thousands of fonts, making them all active makes font menus far too
> long and takes too much memory.
>
> I just need to know how to set permissions on the standard fonts folder
> and to know which fonts that might be added to it are not the default
> Windows fonts. This was easy to do with XP.
>
> ss.

lforbes

Re: Managing the Font folder in Vista with Suitcase
Hi,

You can use Xcacls.vbs to view and change permissions. With my Business
machines I will reset all permissions to those I used for XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;825751

you will have to modify xcacls.vbs to support vista

change

Select Case OSVer
Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2"
IsOSSupported = True

Select Case OSVer
Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2", "6.0"
IsOSSupported = True

type to view permissions

cscript C:\myfolder\xcacls.vbs C:\Windows\Fonts

Haven't tested with Vista Business because I am not running it in my domain
yet until I get 25 copies to do KMS licensing.

Works great with XP and I will test setting permissions with home premium
when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Lara

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message

> The Vista font folder does not seem to allow you to easily display columns
> like Date Modified or Attributes. This making it hard for me to know
> which fonts have just been added by installing some program. I want to
> remove those fonts and put them in its own folder set in Extensis
> Suitcase. I have far too many fonts to let them all be in the Fonts
> folder.
>
> But the big problem is that I cannot set NTFS deny permissions on the
> Fonts folder anymore. What are people who are keeping their work machines
> clean and tidy do when it comes to fonts??
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"lforbes" <laraallsopp@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You can use Xcacls.vbs to view and change permissions. With my Business
> machines I will reset all permissions to those I used for XP.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;825751
>
> you will have to modify xcacls.vbs to support vista
>
> change
>
> Select Case OSVer
> Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2"
> IsOSSupported = True

> Select Case OSVer
> Case "5.0", "5.1", "5.2", "6.0"
> IsOSSupported = True
>
> type to view permissions
>
> cscript C:\myfolder\xcacls.vbs C:\Windows\Fonts
>
> Haven't tested with Vista Business because I am not running it in my
> domain yet until I get 25 copies to do KMS licensing.
>
> Works great with XP and I will test setting permissions with home premium
> when I get a chance.

Thanks Lara. I got it running okay and have gone as far as it listing
permissions, but how to change them using this script?

edit: actually, I have found this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;825751

I'll have to go through it and work it out.

Cheers

ss.