Vista - Windows explorer icons corrupted

=?Utf-8?B?VHJldm9yIEhleXdvb2Q=?=

Vista - Windows explorer icons corrupted
I've been using Vista Ultimate RTM since release, but all of a sudden the
Small Icons in explorer for folders have been corrupted - they show the icon
normally associated with 'Computer'. If I change the view to Medium, Large or
Extra Large icons or Tiles, these are shown with the default placeholder icon
(the one used for a file that has no program association). I have rebooted
the PC but to no avail. I can manually correct any affected links (.LNK), but
I can't change icons on actual folders or network drives.
What's going on and how do I fix it?
OKuma

Re: Vista - Windows explorer icons corrupted
Try this

Launch an elevated CMD window, ie Right click, Run as Administrator...
Shutdown Explorer Process from the Task Manager
In the CMD window go to C:\Users\<ProfileName>\AppData\Local
Do the following command: attrib -H IconCache.db
Do the following command: del IconCache.db
Do the following command: start explorer

This should rebuild the Icon Cache...

OKuma

"Trevor Heywood" <TrevorHeywood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using Vista Ultimate RTM since release, but all of a sudden the
> Small Icons in explorer for folders have been corrupted - they show the
> icon
> normally associated with 'Computer'. If I change the view to Medium, Large
> or
> Extra Large icons or Tiles, these are shown with the default placeholder
> icon
> (the one used for a file that has no program association). I have rebooted
> the PC but to no avail. I can manually correct any affected links (.LNK),
> but
> I can't change icons on actual folders or network drives.
> What's going on and how do I fix it?

=?Utf-8?B?VHJldm9yIEhleXdvb2Q=?=

Re: Vista - Windows explorer icons corrupted
Thanks for the advice - unfortunately that didn't work (also had to reboot to
get new iconcache.db file).
Fixed the problem by using system restore, then carefully reapplying windows
updates one at a time. Still OK now...

Thanks again!