Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEI=?=

Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents
Hi
I tried changing the location of my Favorites from my C: to a network share
where i keep my favorites across all my computers. In the process of doing
this I have generated an extra shell folder or shortcut in the Documents
window. If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents there
is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
windows. They have the same location and if I delete one, they both get
deleted. This has been bugging me for hours. Can anyone explain why it
happens and how to get rid of the duplicate?

THanks

Adrian
--
Drink more Gin drinks!
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents
I'm confused by your wording --

>If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents there
> is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> windows.

What is the Documents window as opposed to Documents in your MyName folder?

Is Documents on the Network or still local?

Even though I'm not sure what's going on I think the following may help

1) Copy all favorites you wish to save to a folder that is not causing any
confusion.

2) Delete the favorites folder.

3) Start Search -> type "comm"<Enter>. A command prompt window should open.

4) Copy & Paste the following command into the command prompt window & press
<Enter>

REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\User
Shell Folders" /v Favorites /f

(watch out for word wrap, the above should all be one line)

5) You should recieve a message stating: "The operation completed
successfully."

6) Log off & log back on.

7) Start Search -> shell:favorites<Enter>

8) The default 'Favorites' folder should recreate itself in the default
location of 'C:\Users\UserName'.

9) Relocate the folder if desired using the 'Location' tab in the properties
dialog. When prompted, say yes to moving all files. Remember that when you
use the 'Move' buttion, you are selectng the folder you want designated as
your Favorites, not selecting a folder where you expect Vista to create a
new Favorites folder, it doesn't do that.

10) If you Favorites relocate successfully & no duplicates appear, move your
saved favorites into the folder.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Adrian B" <adrian(nospam)bryant@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> I tried changing the location of my Favorites from my C: to a network
> share
> where i keep my favorites across all my computers. In the process of doing
> this I have generated an extra shell folder or shortcut in the Documents
> window. If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents
> there
> is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> windows. They have the same location and if I delete one, they both get
> deleted. This has been bugging me for hours. Can anyone explain why it
> happens and how to get rid of the duplicate?
>
> THanks
>
> Adrian
> --
> Drink more Gin drinks!

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEI=?=

Re: Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents
Sorry about that. I meant to say:

In C:\Users\MyName there is 1xFavorites folder
But clicking on Documents folder on desktop shows 2xFavorites folders. These
two folders' fates seem inextricably intertwined because whatever
modification I make to one is carried over to the other (including but not
limited to: renaming; changing folder path; deleting). So I am vexed! How do
I remove one of them?

I wonder if there is a registry key somewhere in the User Shell that has
been duplicated when I started setting up the machine but that wasn't
properly deleted? Is that possible

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> I'm confused by your wording --
>
> >If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents there
> > is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> > windows.

> What is the Documents window as opposed to Documents in your MyName folder?
>
> Is Documents on the Network or still local?
>
> Even though I'm not sure what's going on I think the following may help
>
> 1) Copy all favorites you wish to save to a folder that is not causing any
> confusion.
>
> 2) Delete the favorites folder.
>
> 3) Start Search -> type "comm"<Enter>. A command prompt window should open.
>
> 4) Copy & Paste the following command into the command prompt window & press
> <Enter>
>
> REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\User
> Shell Folders" /v Favorites /f
>
> (watch out for word wrap, the above should all be one line)
>
> 5) You should recieve a message stating: "The operation completed
> successfully."
>
> 6) Log off & log back on.
>
> 7) Start Search -> shell:favorites<Enter>
>
> 8) The default 'Favorites' folder should recreate itself in the default
> location of 'C:\Users\UserName'.
>
> 9) Relocate the folder if desired using the 'Location' tab in the properties
> dialog. When prompted, say yes to moving all files. Remember that when you
> use the 'Move' buttion, you are selectng the folder you want designated as
> your Favorites, not selecting a folder where you expect Vista to create a
> new Favorites folder, it doesn't do that.
>
> 10) If you Favorites relocate successfully & no duplicates appear, move your
> saved favorites into the folder.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Adrian B" <adrian(nospam)bryant@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I tried changing the location of my Favorites from my C: to a network
> > share
> > where i keep my favorites across all my computers. In the process of doing
> > this I have generated an extra shell folder or shortcut in the Documents
> > window. If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents
> > there
> > is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> > windows. They have the same location and if I delete one, they both get
> > deleted. This has been bugging me for hours. Can anyone explain why it
> > happens and how to get rid of the duplicate?
> >
> > THanks
> >
> > Adrian
> > --
> > Drink more Gin drinks!

=?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEI=?=

Re: Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents
Sorry, I didn't see that there was more to your reply.

I have walked through the steps you have listed and the short story is "It
worked!". Thank you!

The long story is, after I logged back in there were two Favorites folders
still, although one had the default location while the other had my network
Favorites folder as the location. I had to delete the default one because the
other I didn't have permission to delete!?

The best information you gave me was the bit about the behaviour of the Move
button.

BIG THANKS !!

--

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> I'm confused by your wording --
>
> >If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents there
> > is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> > windows.

> What is the Documents window as opposed to Documents in your MyName folder?
>
> Is Documents on the Network or still local?
>
> Even though I'm not sure what's going on I think the following may help
>
> 1) Copy all favorites you wish to save to a folder that is not causing any
> confusion.
>
> 2) Delete the favorites folder.
>
> 3) Start Search -> type "comm"<Enter>. A command prompt window should open.
>
> 4) Copy & Paste the following command into the command prompt window & press
> <Enter>
>
> REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\User
> Shell Folders" /v Favorites /f
>
> (watch out for word wrap, the above should all be one line)
>
> 5) You should recieve a message stating: "The operation completed
> successfully."
>
> 6) Log off & log back on.
>
> 7) Start Search -> shell:favorites<Enter>
>
> 8) The default 'Favorites' folder should recreate itself in the default
> location of 'C:\Users\UserName'.
>
> 9) Relocate the folder if desired using the 'Location' tab in the properties
> dialog. When prompted, say yes to moving all files. Remember that when you
> use the 'Move' buttion, you are selectng the folder you want designated as
> your Favorites, not selecting a folder where you expect Vista to create a
> new Favorites folder, it doesn't do that.
>
> 10) If you Favorites relocate successfully & no duplicates appear, move your
> saved favorites into the folder.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Adrian B" <adrian(nospam)bryant@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I tried changing the location of my Favorites from my C: to a network
> > share
> > where i keep my favorites across all my computers. In the process of doing
> > this I have generated an extra shell folder or shortcut in the Documents
> > window. If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents
> > there
> > is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are 2xFavorites
> > windows. They have the same location and if I delete one, they both get
> > deleted. This has been bugging me for hours. Can anyone explain why it
> > happens and how to get rid of the duplicate?
> >
> > THanks
> >
> > Adrian
> > --
> > Drink more Gin drinks!

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents
Glad it's sorted. Thanks for the feedback.

--

> [...]

>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Adrian B" <adrian(nospam)bryant@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I tried changing the location of my Favorites from my C: to a network
>> > share
>> > where i keep my favorites across all my computers. In the process of
>> > doing
>> > this I have generated an extra shell folder or shortcut in the
>> > Documents
>> > window. If I go into the c:\Users\MyName folder and look in Documents
>> > there
>> > is only 1xFavorites folder. In the Documents window there are
>> > 2xFavorites
>> > windows. They have the same location and if I delete one, they both get
>> > deleted. This has been bugging me for hours. Can anyone explain why it
>> > happens and how to get rid of the duplicate?

Synapse Syndrome

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> 7) Start Search -> shell:favorites<Enter>

I have been trying to make new use shell folders, unsuccessfully, and in the
process I cannot remake Vidoes and Saved Games. I also cannot make the
Location tab appear on Desktop as I cannot delete it first. Can you help
please?

ss.