poor search

Geta Klew

Re: poor search
The built-in search engine works great. But it's one of those things you
have to learn to use. Like learning to type correctly so you get word-wrap.
It's just not the kind of knowledge we're all born with.

What makes you pretty sure you're indexing everything? Did you check to see
if the Start menu search box is even looking for documents and messages?
(Right-click the Start button, choose Properties, click the Customize
button, make sure Search Communications and Search This User's Files are
selected).

Some other things to consider. Are you using Windows Mail for e-mail? Are
the documents you're trying to find in your user account folders? Have you
given the machine enough time to build the search index yet? What exactly
did you search for?

"mj" <mj@msftuser.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I don't seem to have instant search
> I only have it for the start menu. I don't seem
> to have it for docs and email messages. I am
> pretty sure I am indexing everything. The funny thing
> is that google desktop search uses the same index and
> finds all the files. Come on Vista. That should not
> be happening. How can I make instant search work?
>
> thanks

Geta Klew

Re: poor search
Not so sure about the green bar. Maybe it's still building the search index.
I don't know coz I don't know how long you've had the machine.

If you want to learn more about searching in Vista, you can open its help
and support and search for "find file". That tells you the basics. You can
also search help for "search index" for more information. Don't search the
help for "instant search" though, because that's not really the name of any
specific feature.

> [...]

> messages? (Right-click the Start button, choose Properties, click the
> Customize button, make sure Search Communications and Search This User's
> Files are selected).
>
> Some other things to consider. Are you using Windows Mail for e-mail? Are
> the documents you're trying to find in your user account folders? Have you
> given the machine enough time to build the search index yet? What exactly
> did you search for?
>

> "mj" <mj@msftuser.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I don't seem to have instant search
>> I only have it for the start menu. I don't seem
>> to have it for docs and email messages. I am
>> pretty sure I am indexing everything. The funny thing
>> is that google desktop search uses the same index and
>> finds all the files. Come on Vista. That should not
>> be happening. How can I make instant search work?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Re: poor search
I'm replying to this because when I click "New" and select one of the
options, nothing happens.

I'm having a problem with search that I am sure is a bug or at least poorly
designed software. I just performed an advanced search for files modified
today. The first search resulted in tons of stuff (junk mail included -
what's up with that). I clicked Documents and got nothing. I discovered
that My Documents wasn't included in the index. I added it, did another
search for the same thing, this time just on My Documents and got the results
I was looking for (what did I work on today??). I closed Search and thought,
"I should save that search". So I opened search, did the same search I did
before, and got nothing. I tried Index Locations - nothing. My Documents -
nothing. I changed the date to 3/7 - nothing. I did a custom search and
checked most of the options - nothing. Only when I did a custom search and
chose "Local Disk" did I get results. This has happened to me before, I just
figured I would take the time to find out if other people are having this
same problem. And it's not just me. If I open the search window and say
"show me the files that were modified today" I should get SOMEthing. No?

"Geta Klew" wrote:

> Not so sure about the green bar. Maybe it's still building the search index.
> I don't know coz I don't know how long you've had the machine.
>
> If you want to learn more about searching in Vista, you can open its help
> and support and search for "find file". That tells you the basics. You can
> also search help for "search index" for more information. Don't search the
> help for "instant search" though, because that's not really the name of any
> specific feature.
>

> "mj" <mj@msftuser.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response. I had search all index checked instead of search
> > user. Do you think that will matter?
> >
> > the reason I know search is not working is that when I bring up windows
> > explorer
> > window and use the search bar at the top right, the instant search seems
> > to work
> > ok. but when I try the same search with the search program, the one that
> > brings up
> > the search window with the various options at the top, I get nothing but
> > the green bar
> > moving to the right and no files coming up. I am talking about putting in
> > a very
> > simple file name like Susan. It works in explorer but not in search.
> >
> > I made that one change. Perhaps that will work.
> >
> > thanks and any more suggestions would be great.
> >
> > "Geta Klew" <NoThanks@Nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> The built-in search engine works great. But it's one of those things you
> >> have to learn to use. Like learning to type correctly so you get
> >> word-wrap. It's just not the kind of knowledge we're all born with.
> >>
> >> What makes you pretty sure you're indexing everything? Did you check to
> >> see if the Start menu search box is even looking for documents and
> >> messages? (Right-click the Start button, choose Properties, click the
> >> Customize button, make sure Search Communications and Search This User's
> >> Files are selected).
> >>
> >> Some other things to consider. Are you using Windows Mail for e-mail? Are
> >> the documents you're trying to find in your user account folders? Have
> >> you given the machine enough time to build the search index yet? What
> >> exactly did you search for?

mj

Re: poor search
As a test, I conducted the exact same search from within wlmd (the email
client) and
vista search. I chose a keyword that delivered multiple hits within
the client software, as expected. In vista I got Zero hits. It found
not one of the emails. wlmd is beta and as the product moves along
maybe the search within vista will improve. but right now, it is not at all
adept at
searching for emails created and or received by this program.