Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders

btvarner

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders

All,
I am follow this thread because I have my own issues. However the
answers here have totally confused me.
I have Vista 64 bit. I copied a folder over from my old XP Pro
machine. Now all of a sudden that folder is read only when other PC's
in my workgroup try to connect to it.
I need to be albe to allow other computers to Add, change, delete these
files.
Everytime if open the properties on the folder it shows as read only.
I change this and it appears to propagate down but the next time I open
permissions it is right back to read only????
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Bruce

--
btvarner
R. C. White

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders
Hi, Bruce.

Have you seen this KB article:
You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"btvarner" <btvarner.34a4b8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> All,
> I am follow this thread because I have my own issues. However the
> answers here have totally confused me.
> I have Vista 64 bit. I copied a folder over from my old XP Pro
> machine. Now all of a sudden that folder is read only when other PC's
> in my workgroup try to connect to it.
> I need to be albe to allow other computers to Add, change, delete these
> files.
> Everytime if open the properties on the folder it shows as read only.
> I change this and it appears to propagate down but the next time I open
> permissions it is right back to read only????
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
>

> --
> btvarner

QuickSilverbuddyoceanblue@yahoo.com

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders
I wish I had some answers for you but I don't. For I am in the same shoe. I
have read all the threads, follow up. You are the only one that has the
problem that almost relates to mine. All I need to know is where it the heck
do I but my password? Windows has requested a password but doesn't provide me
a place to put the darn thing! This is so simple. But nobody has any answers.
I shouldn't have to go through all that change this and add that. I am trying
to run a business and losing money now. I will keep looking for you. But if
you hear of any one else with this problem and has an answer please let know.
I am ready to pull my hair out!
--
M.Thompson
QUICKSILVER INC.

"btvarner" wrote:

> All,
> I am follow this thread because I have my own issues. However the
> answers here have totally confused me.
> I have Vista 64 bit. I copied a folder over from my old XP Pro
> machine. Now all of a sudden that folder is read only when other PC's
> in my workgroup try to connect to it.
> I need to be albe to allow other computers to Add, change, delete these
> files.
> Everytime if open the properties on the folder it shows as read only.
> I change this and it appears to propagate down but the next time I open
> permissions it is right back to read only????
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce
>

> --
> btvarner

Bob

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders
I haven't been following this thread. Has anyone tried this:

Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

"QuickSilverbuddyoceanblue@yahoo.com" <buddyoceanblue@yahoo.com.(donotspam)>
wrote in message news:0EF8BAF0-E17A-45B8-97AE-7BB38A97A2FE@microsoft.com...
>I wish I had some answers for you but I don't. For I am in the same shoe. I
> have read all the threads, follow up. You are the only one that has the
> problem that almost relates to mine. All I need to know is where it the
> heck
> do I but my password? Windows has requested a password but doesn't provide
> me
> a place to put the darn thing! This is so simple. But nobody has any
> answers.
> I shouldn't have to go through all that change this and add that. I am
> trying
> to run a business and losing money now. I will keep looking for you. But
> if
> you hear of any one else with this problem and has an answer please let
> know.
> I am ready to pull my hair out!
> --
> M.Thompson
> QUICKSILVER INC.
> CEO
>

> "btvarner" wrote:
>

>> All,
>> I am follow this thread because I have my own issues. However the
>> answers here have totally confused me.
>> I have Vista 64 bit. I copied a folder over from my old XP Pro
>> machine. Now all of a sudden that folder is read only when other PC's
>> in my workgroup try to connect to it.
>> I need to be albe to allow other computers to Add, change, delete these
>> files.
>> Everytime if open the properties on the folder it shows as read only.
>> I change this and it appears to propagate down but the next time I open
>> permissions it is right back to read only????
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bruce
>>

>> --
>> btvarner

btvarner

Re: Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders

I did finally resolve the issue. It required that I copy all the
individual files from the old system to the new & place them under a new
folder I had created in Vista 64 bit. Then I took ownership of the
contents of the folder(s) on the new machine and all was set.

This was a pain as I had many hundreds of files in dozens of folders,
but it is done now!

Bruce

--
btvarner