Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Indexing PDF Files on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2007
Puppy Breath
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
In Ultimate they're selected for indexing by default. I would assume they're
also selected in Business edition. Just make sure to put them in an indexed
location. It takes a while to index brand new files. And it only indexes
during idle time. So don't expect immediate search index gratification right
after downloading or creating a pdf file.

If you want to check the file types and indexed folder click Start type inde
and click Indexing Options. Click the Advanced button.




"Yuri" <Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BDB46F47-5F60-4713-BD6C-21F14925FC82@microsoft.com...
> How can i index pdf files on windows vista business?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WXVyaQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Indexing PDF Files on Vista
How can i index pdf files on windows vista business?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2007
DevilsPGD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
In message <C6B5F791-5313-4371-96D7-A7B5A6A82F2A@microsoft.com> "Puppy
Breath" <NoThanks@Nospam.com> wrote:

>In Ultimate they're selected for indexing by default.



But only if Adobe's reader is installed.
--
Insert something clever here.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
Yuri

If you have installed Adobe Reader version 8, the pdf should have been added
automatically to the search index.

You can check this in Control Panel/Indexing Options/Advanced Button/File
Types Tab. Scroll down and make sure that the .PDF file extension is
included in that list.

If PDF is not in that list type PDF at the bottom lrft of that dialog box
and click the Add New Extension button.



--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Yuri" <Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BDB46F47-5F60-4713-BD6C-21F14925FC82@microsoft.com...
> How can i index pdf files on windows vista business?


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WXVyaQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
What i actually wanted was to search for the contents of the pdf files.
However after following what you have said i found an option to "index
properties and file contents", and i opted for this one. That should do it,
shouldnt it. merci beaucoup.
And by the way, the pdf extension was indeed indexed by default.


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Yuri
>
> If you have installed Adobe Reader version 8, the pdf should have been added
> automatically to the search index.
>
> You can check this in Control Panel/Indexing Options/Advanced Button/File
> Types Tab. Scroll down and make sure that the .PDF file extension is
> included in that list.
>
> If PDF is not in that list type PDF at the bottom lrft of that dialog box
> and click the Add New Extension button.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Yuri" <Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BDB46F47-5F60-4713-BD6C-21F14925FC82@microsoft.com...
> > How can i index pdf files on windows vista business?

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2007
=?Utf-8?B?WXVyaQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
Hi!

The pdf extension is being indexed, but it does not search for the content
of the files, which was what i intended all along. I have Foxit Reader
instead of Adobe Reader.

Can Vista search the content of the pdf file?

Yuri


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Yuri
>
> If you have installed Adobe Reader version 8, the pdf should have been added
> automatically to the search index.
>
> You can check this in Control Panel/Indexing Options/Advanced Button/File
> Types Tab. Scroll down and make sure that the .PDF file extension is
> included in that list.
>
> If PDF is not in that list type PDF at the bottom lrft of that dialog box
> and click the Add New Extension button.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Yuri" <Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BDB46F47-5F60-4713-BD6C-21F14925FC82@microsoft.com...
> > How can i index pdf files on windows vista business?

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2007
DevilsPGD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
In message <293E39B3-B50C-4C84-A17B-4067E2DE8683@microsoft.com> Yuri
<Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The pdf extension is being indexed, but it does not search for the content
>of the files, which was what i intended all along. I have Foxit Reader
>instead of Adobe Reader.
>
>Can Vista search the content of the pdf file?


You can try using the "plain-text" filter, but this may or may not get
you the results you expect.

I'm trying the latest Adobe Reader (I'm a Foxit user normally) to see if
I can tolerate it enough for the searching feature.
--
Insert something clever here.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
PDF files are printer instructions. Plain Text is fairly useless.
"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
news:q7h1v25517q3rfglr7bq01pe9628pmbefu@4ax.com...
> In message <293E39B3-B50C-4C84-A17B-4067E2DE8683@microsoft.com> Yuri
> <Yuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>The pdf extension is being indexed, but it does not search for the content
>>of the files, which was what i intended all along. I have Foxit Reader
>>instead of Adobe Reader.
>>
>>Can Vista search the content of the pdf file?

>
> You can try using the "plain-text" filter, but this may or may not get
> you the results you expect.
>
> I'm trying the latest Adobe Reader (I'm a Foxit user normally) to see if
> I can tolerate it enough for the searching feature.
> --
> Insert something clever here.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2007
Daniel Noll
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <C6B5F791-5313-4371-96D7-A7B5A6A82F2A@microsoft.com> "Puppy
> Breath" <NoThanks@Nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> In Ultimate they're selected for indexing by default.

>
>
> But only if Adobe's reader is installed.


That's slack. The format is well documented.

Daniel


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2007
Ilia Sacson [MS]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Indexing PDF Files on Vista
The format is also well copyrighted...

"Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
news:eod54fkdHHA.4012@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> DevilsPGD wrote:
>> In message <C6B5F791-5313-4371-96D7-A7B5A6A82F2A@microsoft.com> "Puppy
>> Breath" <NoThanks@Nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In Ultimate they're selected for indexing by default.

>>
>>
>> But only if Adobe's reader is installed.

>
> That's slack. The format is well documented.
>
> Daniel
>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Vista index the contents of PDF files? JMI microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-10-2007 20:18
Office 2003 pdf security on Vista =?Utf-8?B?dG5hdGUxMjM0?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 14:49
Vista not indexing particular folder =?Utf-8?B?UmFqZXNo?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 02-28-2007 14:14
Printing to Adobe PDF in Windows Vista =?Utf-8?B?QXV4Q294?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 5 02-19-2007 19:56
Vista and PDF files wmp microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 02-17-2007 23:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:58.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120